Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's Reputation and Challenges in 2021 and the future (Consolidated Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's Reputation and Challenges in 2021 and the future (Consolidated Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 10:18 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Like many things going on these days, there's very few absolutes (though the world would be easier if there were!), and I think several things can be true at once. I too would like Delta to have better service offerings on board, but like many things these days it seems like a complex calculation.
  1. Regardless of the severity of Omicron, there are still people who have to travel who are very anxious/cautious about covid and/or are more susceptible to Covid's effects (pre-existing conditions, lives with someone under 5 or over 80, etc). As a common carrier Delta can't just deny boarding to all of those people. From my point of view it makes sense to continue taking measures to increase Covid safety.
  2. Some service offerings seem like they could be brought back without affecting Covid safety - now that we now Covid is mostly transmitted by air and not surface contact, pillows and blankets in F seem like a reasonable thing to bring back.
  3. Some are in a gray area. On one hand offering any food and drink will lead to longer time periods of passengers being unmasked. So I can see things like reduced food offerings in Y, not consistently offering the midflight water/coffee service, etc making sense. On the other hand, if you've decided to bring back something like a drink service anyways, it seems like you might as well offer the full menu.
  4. The cost of providing on-board service offerings is likely more now than it was pre-covid due to increased supply & labor costs at various parts in the supply chain.
  5. The reasons airlines use to justify service offerings (or lack thereof) in their PR is often not the real bottom line reason
Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Trying not to drift this too far off topic. But what if someone from the medical field told you that the ICU bed situation has been that way every winter for the past decade, just not brought into focus like it has since COVID. Hospitalizations including ICU admissions and ED overflow sky rockets this time of year for a myriad of reasons, even pre-covid. The fact that bed capacity continues to decrease as hospital systems consolidate and safety-net hospitals get bought out/closed by for-profit healthcare conglomerates doesn't help the issue.
Any data to back that up? I work for a major health system in a large American city and, while there are seasonal variations in our census, prior to COVID, we weren't running at 100%+ or opening new units every winter.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ryw
Like many things going on these days, there's very few absolutes (though the world would be easier if there were!), and I think several things can be true at once. I too would like Delta to have better service offerings on board, but like many things these days it seems like a complex calculation.
  1. Regardless of the severity of Omicron, there are still people who have to travel who are very anxious/cautious about covid and/or are more susceptible to Covid's effects (pre-existing conditions, lives with someone under 5 or over 80, etc). As a common carrier Delta can't just deny boarding to all of those people. From my point of view it makes sense to continue taking measures to increase Covid safety.
  2. Some service offerings seem like they could be brought back without affecting Covid safety - now that we now Covid is mostly transmitted by air and not surface contact, pillows and blankets in F seem like a reasonable thing to bring back.
  3. Some are in a gray area. On one hand offering any food and drink will lead to longer time periods of passengers being unmasked. So I can see things like reduced food offerings in Y, not consistently offering the midflight water/coffee service, etc making sense. On the other hand, if you've decided to bring back something like a drink service anyways, it seems like you might as well offer the full menu.
  4. The cost of providing on-board service offerings is likely more now than it was pre-covid due to increased supply & labor costs at various parts in the supply chain.
  5. The reasons airlines use to justify service offerings (or lack thereof) in their PR is often not the real bottom line reason
As far back as 2008, it was well-documented that aircraft cabin air was exchanged roughly 20 times per hour and that HEPA filters were used. The aircraft cabin air quality argument is a red herring. I'd dare say that the quality of aircraft cabin air is better than that in your hotel room after you land
Old Dec 28, 2021, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As there are so many off-topic posts, the thread is being closed
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
NYC Flyer and ryandc99 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Did Delta squander is reputation for excellence / customer service in 2021?

As we end the year with another bout of flight cancellations, long wait times on the phone (I am 2 hours over the promised time for a callback tonight already) and other issues, the question has to be raised. Delta seems to have lost a step in a variety of service areas in 2021 relative to its competitors. What happened?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
As we end the year with another bout of flight cancellations, long wait times on the phone (I am 2 hours over the promised time for a callback tonight already) and other issues, the question has to be raised. Delta seems to have lost a step in a variety of service areas in 2021 relative to its competitors. What happened?
Quite simply, Delta chose to put the interests of shareholders leagues ahead of the interests of it's customers.
dw, halls120, mikebor and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by shoodawg
Quite simply, Delta chose to put the interests of shareholders leagues ahead of the interests of it's customers.
Never confuse "putting shareholders first" with complete incompetence. The two can never exist in tandem. Its clear from EB's bumbling political career to the operational meltdowns to the abysmal phone service to the terrible onboard experience, he has no business being CEO. He is completely incompetent and these snafus hurt shareholders, not help them.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by The Situation
Never confuse "putting shareholders first" with complete incompetence. The two can never exist in tandem. …
I beg to differ; even a minimally competent CEO should know enough to profess a “shareholders’ interests first” philosophy to audiences who expect that message … the greater competence comes from being able to explain how a customer-forward culture will deliver those results

part 2 of the greater competence is the ability to incentivize and encourage employees to deliver that customer-forward culture, in order to retain and grow the customer base
Old Dec 30, 2021, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Yes, I believe this is the case. Delta has lost several steps. Others, UA in particular, have advanced several steps.

Not saying they have changed positions. But there has been a definite directional change.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 10:50 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Absolutely…DL has made countless consumer unfriendly moves since the pandemic, that has made this weekly DM flier change all loyalty and frequent travel patterns over to UA, with its PDB and hot meals on midcon flights
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
…that has made this weekly DM flier change all loyalty and frequent travel patterns over to UA…
names checks out
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:10 am

Programs: Airline free agent; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Y'all take one flight on AA or UA and you'll come crawling back begging for DL's service. It is quite simple the best run US airline there is. If you disagree, then you have options and should take them.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by AdamATL
Y'all take one flight on AA or UA and you'll come crawling back begging for DL's service. It is quite simple the best run US airline there is. If you disagree, then you have options and should take them.
DL is probably the carrier I fly the least, but I'll offer this: during flights where it's essential to minimize potential IRROPs from JFK to SFO/LAX, I generally pay DL's asking price, though I have higher elite status with their peers.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
No one was stellar during 2021, though UA was doing reasonably well until the past week. My big metric is flight reliability and while I did have more issues than previous years (too many Airbus 319/320 tech issues) I still find it better than the ongoing dumpster fire that is AA.
moxielady likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I think DL took several hits, the biggest being the lack of phone support even for elites, followed by boxed lunches and no pre-flight drinks. I should make DM by late February, since all I need to do is make MQDs, rolling over 600k of MQMs. I will definitely be calling AA for a challenge since I can not blindly give DL 90% of my business. The grass may not be greener, but trying AA presents no risk and I will know the answer.
krakendown and DCAhome like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.