FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta's Reputation and Challenges in 2021 and the future (Consolidated Threads)
Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:52 pm
jimrpa

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ryw
Like many things going on these days, there's very few absolutes (though the world would be easier if there were!), and I think several things can be true at once. I too would like Delta to have better service offerings on board, but like many things these days it seems like a complex calculation.
  1. Regardless of the severity of Omicron, there are still people who have to travel who are very anxious/cautious about covid and/or are more susceptible to Covid's effects (pre-existing conditions, lives with someone under 5 or over 80, etc). As a common carrier Delta can't just deny boarding to all of those people. From my point of view it makes sense to continue taking measures to increase Covid safety.
  2. Some service offerings seem like they could be brought back without affecting Covid safety - now that we now Covid is mostly transmitted by air and not surface contact, pillows and blankets in F seem like a reasonable thing to bring back.
  3. Some are in a gray area. On one hand offering any food and drink will lead to longer time periods of passengers being unmasked. So I can see things like reduced food offerings in Y, not consistently offering the midflight water/coffee service, etc making sense. On the other hand, if you've decided to bring back something like a drink service anyways, it seems like you might as well offer the full menu.
  4. The cost of providing on-board service offerings is likely more now than it was pre-covid due to increased supply & labor costs at various parts in the supply chain.
  5. The reasons airlines use to justify service offerings (or lack thereof) in their PR is often not the real bottom line reason
As far back as 2008, it was well-documented that aircraft cabin air was exchanged roughly 20 times per hour and that HEPA filters were used. The aircraft cabin air quality argument is a red herring. I'd dare say that the quality of aircraft cabin air is better than that in your hotel room after you land