Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Looking at doing a status match from United over to DL. Planning to do a mileage run on AM to help meet the requirements for the match but curious as to whether I need to have requested the match before booking or if I can just request before my trip and have the clock start then.

Seems like I should be able to request the match closer to travel but wanted to be sure
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Looking at doing a status match from United over to DL. Planning to do a mileage run on AM to help meet the requirements for the match but curious as to whether I need to have requested the match before booking or if I can just request before my trip and have the clock start then.

Seems like I should be able to request the match closer to travel but wanted to be sure
As far as your qualifying flights you will get credit when you fly, so it won't matter if you book them before or after you do the match, and since sounds like you are booking into business to maximize MQDs getting the trial status earlier does you no good. Good luck!

P.S. I enjoy your trip reports.
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
That was my thought as well, just wanted to make sure I didn't do all of this crazy flying and end up missing something
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by wakesetter93

This is the language at the beginning of the terms:
Offer valid for travel completed within 3 months from time of account upgrade and will not include flights taken prior to enrollment.
Seems it’s based on the actual travel dates, which makes sense considering that that’s when any earnings post to the account. Note, however, that it seems the process is to submit a request and wait for approval, so the question would be how long that takes, and whether or not the earnings window to retain the status applies retroactively to the date of the request (obviously you wouldn’t enjoy the benefits of the status itself before the application is processed). It seems it’s not necessary to do prior to booking, but personally I would apply at least a couple weeks in advance of the first applicable trip, and possibly even earlier than that if I knew that I had enough booked to be comfortably within the challenge requirements and were sufficiently confident that I wouldn’t need to change my plans.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by michab
This is the language at the beginning of the terms:

Seems it’s based on the actual travel dates, which makes sense considering that that’s when any earnings post to the account. Note, however, that it seems the process is to submit a request and wait for approval, so the question would be how long that takes, and whether or not the earnings window to retain the status applies retroactively to the date of the request (obviously you wouldn’t enjoy the benefits of the status itself before the application is processed). It seems it’s not necessary to do prior to booking, but personally I would apply at least a couple weeks in advance of the first applicable trip, and possibly even earlier than that if I knew that I had enough booked to be comfortably within the challenge requirements and were sufficiently confident that I wouldn’t need to change my plans.
That is my plan, I don't have any travel booked on DL right now so I was going to wait until I did/closer to when I'm planning my MR to make sure I have time to top everything off
Old Aug 10, 2023, 3:08 pm

PS row 20 on A339?

Has anyone flown in row 20 in PS? I can’t quite tell if an exit row or a bulkhead (the seat map makes it look kinda like the latter, but maybe that’s just the cabin label?). I’m curious what it’s like, and whether it comes with the usual trade offs — obviously either way there’s no seat to put anything under but also no seat to recline into you, but does it have the usual tray table and IFE in the side and thus a narrower seat, or is PS built differently?

Booked into 21J now but it seems 20H has since opened up, and while I have somewhat of a preference for windows I wouldn’t rule out an aisle if it’s a better seat, especially if the window seat passenger is able to get past me more easily.

Last edited by michab; Aug 10, 2023 at 3:17 pm
Old Aug 11, 2023, 12:03 am

It's a bulkhead tray table is in the armrest same as all the other PS seats.
The IFE screen is mounted on the bulkhead.
Main advantage is the additional space especially if you are in the middle.

Old Aug 11, 2023, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Norri
It's a bulkhead tray table is in the armrest same as all the other PS seats.
The IFE screen is mounted on the bulkhead.
Main advantage is the additional space especially if you are in the middle.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the photo! The space seems nice, but then the positioning of the screen and having it so far away seems inconvenient - both in terms of viewing (I’m guessing it’s not bigger than the other screens?) and operating it (assuming it’s a touchscreen). If anyone’s tried it and could share how significant that is, I’d really appreciate it.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the photo! The space seems nice, but then the positioning of the screen and having it so far away seems inconvenient - both in terms of viewing (I’m guessing it’s not bigger than the other screens?) and operating it (assuming it’s a touchscreen). If anyone’s tried it and could share how significant that is, I’d really appreciate it.
I do believe there is a remote control for PS seats, so no need to be able to reach the screen.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by AntimonyER
I do believe there is a remote control for PS seats, so no need to be able to reach the screen.
+1
The "remote control" is actually shown in michab's photo. In the photo, the remote is "plugged" into its resting location in the armrest.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 10:10 am

Delta sky club access

I have a delta flight tomorrow with amex platinum card and arriving at lax. How long do I have access to delta sky club once arriving from flight? Also is guest access of $50 still valid on arrival flights? Thanks
Old Aug 12, 2023, 10:35 am

Skymiles and MQMs on interrupted flight

So, I was booked on a DL ticketed AF flight. Woke up today to a cancelled flight and rebooking on Swissair (by Delta). Will I still be able to get delta miles and MQMs somehow?. I only care since I'm on a status challenge.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 12:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jspeaks
So, I was booked on a DL ticketed AF flight. Woke up today to a cancelled flight and rebooking on Swissair (by Delta). Will I still be able to get delta miles and MQMs somehow?. I only care since I'm on a status challenge.
You should be able to call in and request Original Routing Credit. Main FlyerTalk thread: Original Routing Credit, or ORC: The Definitive Thread
Old Aug 13, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Yesterday, I was flying MFR-SLC-ATL and at check-in (I was checking bags) and was told my ID was selected for additional verification and the agent keyed in my driver's license number. Afterwards, she asked me to confirm that I was a US citizen. This has never happened to me on a domestic itinerary before. It made my time at the counter a good 5+ minutes (longer than my time checking in at ATL for the opposite direction, where none of this occurred). I was worried I was going to get SSSS, but got Pre-Check instead. Any ideas what was going on here?
Old Aug 13, 2023, 11:25 am

Matching to Delta worth it out of ORD?

What is Delta like out of a big non-hub airport like ORD? I'm a United guy right now, going to make platinum on United this year but won't be flying enough next year to keep it. Because ORD is such a big United hub, rarely get upgrades and such anyway.

I'm thinking of doing a status match challenge next July to Delta and switching airlines, on the theory that I'll be able to keep status longer (should be possible to meet the flying for a match... assuming that partner airlines count for qualification) and also that it might just be easier to get upgrades and such with ORD not being a hub. Has anyone else on here followed this strategy? Is Delta ok out of ORD, or are the flights few and far between + expensive, especially domestically?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.