Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I'm planning an upcoming SEA-DEN SkyMiles Main Cabin award flight and noted the option to pay for "Preferred" emergency exit row seating but which zone would I board in if I pay extra fee for these seats? Main Cabin1?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Hi Delta forum,

I would be flying DCA-JFK-CDG-IST with the first two legs on DL and latter on AF. I have purposefully selected that JFK-CDG flight for the Delta One Suites onboard the A330-900neo but it got swapped to an A330-300 recently with the older seats. The flight is this month.

So my question is does Delta offer complimentary changes ( with no fare difference - and assuming that there are flights onboard the A350 or A330-900neo that could fit my itinerary ) on equipment swaps on international itineraries similar to what United and American offer. If so would the Air France leg cause an issue ( intending to keep the same AF flight ). For reference, this is on a 006- Delta stock ticket.

TIA
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:48 am

Is there any cheaper business class award ticket from US to Korea for February? Checked Delta website which showed almost more than 300 k miles...
Old Jan 8, 2023, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Hi Delta forum,

I would be flying DCA-JFK-CDG-IST with the first two legs on DL and latter on AF. I have purposefully selected that JFK-CDG flight for the Delta One Suites onboard the A330-900neo but it got swapped to an A330-300 recently with the older seats. The flight is this month.

So my question is does Delta offer complimentary changes ( with no fare difference - and assuming that there are flights onboard the A350 or A330-900neo that could fit my itinerary ) on equipment swaps on international itineraries similar to what United and American offer. If so would the Air France leg cause an issue ( intending to keep the same AF flight ). For reference, this is on a 006- Delta stock ticket.

TIA
Couldn’t hurt to call and ask. See which flights work for your schedule and allow you to keep your connection and have suites by checking via a dummy booking for your departure day first so you can ask for something specific.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colinalea
Is there any cheaper business class award ticket from US to Korea for February? Checked Delta website which showed almost more than 300 k miles...
SEA-ICN one-way D1/partner J awards start at 235K miles. DL has harmonized awards on most routes ex-US and Canada and the cheapest award levels now require roundtrip bookings on both DL and partner metal. For example, roundtrip D1/partner J awards on SEA-ICN start at 370K miles (rather than pricing as two one-way awards which would be 470K miles). You can still get one-way D1/biz awards to ICN for under 100K miles if you begin trip in Mexico or the Caribbean.

WS is selling one-way KE Prestige class seats on YVR-ICN for about $1675 USD (although these wouldn't earn any Skymiles since WS is not a Skyteam member).

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 8, 2023 at 7:31 am
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:24 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by tcook052
I'm planning an upcoming SEA-DEN SkyMiles Main Cabin award flight and noted the option to pay for "Preferred" emergency exit row seating but which zone would I board in if I pay extra fee for these seats? Main Cabin1?
You would board in whatever zone you would board in otherwise. If you would have MC1 boarding then you would board there, if you have MC2 or MC3 boarding you would board then. Having a Preferred seat does not change the boarding group.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in...rding-priority
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:31 am

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
Is there a way to use Skymiles to book a flight on AF or KLM at their point rates?
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anngi
Is there a way to use Skymiles to book a flight on AF or KLM at their point rates?
No, Skymiles can only be redeemed with Delta at the Delta mileage rates showing on delta.com
anngi and hhdl like this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Reserve
Thank you, yes YOU

Can I just say thank you to the people on this board that take the time to answer our Newbie questions. Your knowledge and experience is really helpful. I can’t thank you all enough!
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
Is there a strategy to use Skymiles for international trips that use a reasonable amount of points?
Do most people just use them domestically within US?
Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anngi
Is there a strategy to use Skymiles for international trips that use a reasonable amount of points?
Do most people just use them domestically within US?
Define "reasonable" Yes, I suspect a lot of people simply use points for domestic/short-haul international coach and don't care about other forms of redemptions. One of the airlines published some stats years ago (I think it was Delta, but may have been another major) and something like 85% - 90% of mileage redemptions were for domestic coach tickets. You can still find relatively cheap international award redemptions to EU/Asia out of Mexico and the Caribbean. If you live in a DL hub city, you can potentially hidden-city the return trip and skip the last segment to Mexico/Caribbean.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
SEA-ICN one-way D1/partner J awards start at 235K miles. DL has harmonized awards on most routes ex-US and Canada and the cheapest award levels now require roundtrip bookings on both DL and partner metal. For example, roundtrip D1/partner J awards on SEA-ICN start at 370K miles (rather than pricing as two one-way awards which would be 470K miles). You can still get one-way D1/biz awards to ICN for under 100K miles if you begin trip in Mexico or the Caribbean.

WS is selling one-way KE Prestige class seats on YVR-ICN for about $1675 USD (although these wouldn't earn any Skymiles since WS is not a Skyteam member).
Thank you!
Can the return trip be modified if schedule changed? i.e. if I need to postpone several days for the second flight?
I checked Delta cancellation/change policy for one way award ticket and there was no fee. Not sure policy on the second return trip.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colinalea
Thank you!
Can the return trip be modified if schedule changed? i.e. if I need to postpone several days for the second flight?
I checked Delta cancellation/change policy for one way award ticket and there was no fee. Not sure policy on the second return trip.
The official threshold is 120 minutes. You might be able to request a change with a smaller schedule change, but it will largely be up to the agent. Also, moving to partner flights will be much more difficult than DL operated flights.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
What is the status on the 764 Delta One seats? (I'm looking at flights to Europe next Nov. shown with 764.) I thought they were going to the nicer open suites. Aerolopa only shows a configuration like the 763s, while SeatGuru shows both. The DL site itself just says seating may vary, so I'm confused! If they are are all changing to the open suites, is there timing?

Thanks for any help!

FTF
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
What is the status on the 764 Delta One seats? (I'm looking at flights to Europe next Nov. shown with 764.) I thought they were going to the nicer open suites. Aerolopa only shows a configuration like the 763s, while SeatGuru shows both. The DL site itself just says seating may vary, so I'm confused! If they are are all changing to the open suites, is there timing?
All 764s flying for DL have gotten the "open suite" mod.

767-400 764 Delta One Suites & Premium Select Refurb Status and Trip Reports

AeroLOPA looks accurate as to the layout; there's no door, so since it's a slightly stylized/symbolic rendering, and both are a 1-2-1 non-angled config it may appear similar to the 763, but it isn't the exact same

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.