Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Hello Everyone,
Due to a merging error - much of the history of this thread is sitting in the Amex Companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2053727-using-skymiles-skyteam-other-partners-master-thread.html

The moderation team is in the process of moving posts over to this thread, however it is a very manual process that requires reading every post in the two merged mega threads, so please bear with us as we piece this together.

Regards,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Print Wikipost

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:57 am

Programs: Diamond DL
Hello, i have 3 LATAM flight in march. I bought it one in latam website, the other 2 in expedia
I am DL Diamond.
Do somebody knows which benefit will I have or can ask? will i have skypriority? the first flight is from FCO to IGU with a stop in GRU 12h ,another one is from GRU to CUN with stop in Lima.
will i be able to access latam lounge? (once i entered with priority pass in latam lounge in BOG and it was a very very good lounge)
Is there any suggestion to have my miles and mqd posted correctly? for example with aeromexico, i know that if your status is not printed on the boarding pass (not the qr code in the app) the miles won't arrive and you have to contact delta
But last time i did fly latam was 2019 so i never saw a latam boarding pass after they became delta partner and i don't know if i will see diamond/eliteplus printed, or just my skymiles number
Thank you!
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
LATAM while a DL partner is not in Skyteam. You get access based on the agreement between DL/LA. As Diamond, you'll get lounge access, even in Y on LA. Exception being Skyclubs, where must be in Business (LATAM doesn't have PE on long haul flights).

As for posting, in general it works. The problem posting have been on flights from outstation (like BOS) to South America.
itamex likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 11:29 pm

Need some help. Booked a Delta award ticket on KLM flying from SPU to LHR via AMS on March 9. KLM cancelled the flights. I called in Delta and first agent tried to book me on Croatia but failed to ticket due to being an award. I escalated to a supervisor and was told that either I can get a refund, or wait 7 days where KLM supposes to protect me on the itinerary. Should I trust KLM to do it? What is the responsibility of Delta being the ticket carrier.

Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by khkchan
Need some help. Booked a Delta award ticket on KLM flying from SPU to LHR via AMS on March 9. KLM cancelled the flights. I called in Delta and first agent tried to book me on Croatia but failed to ticket due to being an award. I escalated to a supervisor and was told that either I can get a refund, or wait 7 days where KLM supposes to protect me on the itinerary. Should I trust KLM to do it? What is the responsibility of Delta being the ticket carrier.

Thanks.
DL responsibility is the same as a travel agents in this case. KLM is responsible for rebooking you. Unfortunately DL cant force partners to open award space on their own metal. As it is an award DL will not rebook you in advance onto another carrier.

Now you can wait for KL to rebook you (may not actually ever automatically happpen), call KL and ask them to handle rebooking (they will likely refer you back to DL, youll need to ppint out DL can't do rebooking theirself as it is wholly KLM operated award ticket), or call DL and ask that they transfer you to the AF/KL support desk. .This desk has agent with access to the AF/KL computer system, that can rebook you per AF/KL rebooking guidelines. (AF/KL are willing to rebook onto OAL as they have duties under EC261 when cancel a flight)
khkchan likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
LATAM while a DL partner is not in Skyteam. You get access based on the agreement between DL/LA. As Diamond, you'll get lounge access, even in Y on LA. Exception being Skyclubs, where must be in Business (LATAM doesn't have PE on long haul flights).

As for posting, in general it works. The problem posting have been on flights from outstation (like BOS) to South America.
thank you! i have 3 trips in march. economy from fco to igu, stop in gru. then premium from igu to gru, and the last one premium from gru to cun,stop in LIM
I will update on miles posting or not, and lounge access
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Does anyone have an idea what the baggage allowance would be on a Tarom flight booked with skymiles in Y?

Looking to book CDG-OTP. There are 4 passengers. I am Diamond while the other 3 have no status.

The booking page says the first bag is free & the second would be €100. I called the Diamond line & the first agent said all passengers would be allowed an extra bag due to my status. I was not sure if that was correct on a partner airline so I called again. The second time I was told that only I would be allowed an extra bag.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
Does anyone have an idea what the baggage allowance would be on a Tarom flight booked with skymiles in Y?

Looking to book CDG-OTP. There are 4 passengers. I am Diamond while the other 3 have no status.

The booking page says the first bag is free & the second would be €100. I called the Diamond line & the first agent said all passengers would be allowed an extra bag due to my status. I was not sure if that was correct on a partner airline so I called again. The second time I was told that only I would be allowed an extra bag.
You really need to be contacting Tarom (a DL agent is not going to have any idea about their rules). I don't see anything in Skyteam rules that the luggage benefit necessarily extends to non-status companions (nor on the Tarom website).

https://www.tarom.ro/en/passenger-in...d-baggage.html
Old Feb 26, 2024, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by xliioper
You really need to be contacting Tarom (a DL agent is not going to have any idea about their rules). I don't see anything in Skyteam rules that the luggage benefit necessarily extends to non-status companions (nor on the Tarom website).

I sent them an email but haven't heard back yet.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Is this a CDG/OTP only ticket, or part of a bigger ticket? Can make a difference in allowances.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Is this a CDG/OTP only ticket, or part of a bigger ticket? Can make a difference in allowances.
CDG-OTP only.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xliioper

Originally Posted by Keyser
I sent them an email but haven't heard back yet.
Finally heard back from them. As expected, the extra bag is for the elite member only.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
Better strategy for potential trip?

Hello,
Old hat with DL award tickets, but never used miles on partner/mixed carrier….

I have never been to Asia before and thinking it might be a good vacation idea this year. Found what I thought is a good deal (these days) to BKK in November. 160k round trip in PS. ICN to BKK is on Korean of course. I know that if there is a flight change that I’m not guaranteed that I have a seat for an award ticket on a partner airline. So now I’m wondering if it is better to book to ICN with miles (all DL) then book cash on Korean for the last leg. Especially since it seems that I can cancel the Korean flight 91+ days out and get a full refund, in case I change my mind about the trip. So, questions…

— If I do this, can I check my bag interline through to BKK if it’s on a separate ticket, or will I have to grab my bag and leave security to drop it off again?
— I would guess if I do it this way, I will have no IRROP protection for the ICN/bkk legs since they are separate tickets?
— Or am I overthinking this and the likelihood of a flight modification and not being able to get a seat on the Korean legs is minimal?

Any advice on the best strategy here would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2024, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WannabePBA
Hello,
Old hat with DL award tickets, but never used miles on partner/mixed carrier….

I have never been to Asia before and thinking it might be a good vacation idea this year. Found what I thought is a good deal (these days) to BKK in November. 160k round trip in PS. ICN to BKK is on Korean of course. I know that if there is a flight change that I’m not guaranteed that I have a seat for an award ticket on a partner airline. So now I’m wondering if it is better to book to ICN with miles (all DL) then book cash on Korean for the last leg. Especially since it seems that I can cancel the Korean flight 91+ days out and get a full refund, in case I change my mind about the trip. So, questions…

— If I do this, can I check my bag interline through to BKK if it’s on a separate ticket, or will I have to grab my bag and leave security to drop it off again?
— I would guess if I do it this way, I will have no IRROP protection for the ICN/bkk legs since they are separate tickets?
— Or am I overthinking this and the likelihood of a flight modification and not being able to get a seat on the Korean legs is minimal?

Any advice on the best strategy here would be appreciated.

Thanks!
KE does not have PE cabins and the ICN-BKK segment will be in Economy. Skymiles awards are O&D based just like revenue fares. They are not priced hop-by-hop. No reason to expect that US-ICN PS awards will be less than or equal to US-BKK awards (most likely, they will be more miles). I would stick with single award itin rather than trying to split this up.

Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:11 am

HELLO do you know if in BOGOTA there is skyteam lounge? I will fiy AM BOG-MEX . contacted aeromexico they say there is no lounge, while skyteam webpage says that there is one skyteam lounge accesible for skyteam eliteplus or business when flying aeromexico or aireuropa
Old Apr 17, 2024, 6:08 pm

Programs: Hub Captive Club
Originally Posted by itamex
HELLO do you know if in BOGOTA there is skyteam lounge? I will fiy AM BOG-MEX . contacted aeromexico they say there is no lounge, while skyteam webpage says that there is one skyteam lounge accesible for skyteam eliteplus or business when flying aeromexico or aireuropa
No Skyteam lounge per-se, but they do contract with the El Dorado lounge you saw listed on the Skyteam page for AM flights. Personally, never tried it as I've only been through Bog on Delta or Latam and I use the Latam lounge for those.
itamex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.