Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Hello Everyone,
Due to a merging error - much of the history of this thread is sitting in the Amex Companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2053727-using-skymiles-skyteam-other-partners-master-thread.html

The moderation team is in the process of moving posts over to this thread, however it is a very manual process that requires reading every post in the two merged mega threads, so please bear with us as we piece this together.

Regards,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Print Wikipost

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Oct 27, 2023, 12:35 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Thats wild I had no idea some of DL are not free to redeposit. All the ones I did were the US, Mexico or Central America as I recall.

So you are saying my CI ticket from HKG to HND is not refundable/free mileage redeposit should I need to cancel?
Not sure, as outside of NA origins there are some markets with temporary free redeposits, but that info is scattered all over the DL site and hard to find. It’s a good idea to to search before you book and save time stamped pages showing that your particular travel market has free redeposit at time of booking, just in case you need it later. With my status redeposits are free (that used to be, and still is, the only real value of DL PM status), so I haven’t followed it closely.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Correct. Any ticket with first flight not from N America can have redeposit fee. Some routes they are waiving it on. (Australia/ Oceania fir example). Also a lot of agents have no clue about fee and don't charge it.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 8:39 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Pardon my newbie questions as I have ever redeemed Delta miles before...

I have a business award on AF from Paris to Tokyo booked as round trip. I have to change the return but nothing available. This is a month out still. Does DL or AF release seats closer in, or is this likely it?

Also, if I book a return on another airline, can I cancel the return of the round trip and re deposit miles or is that complicated or not possible?

I'm also seeing seats on AF the app that won't book and if I call agent says not available. Is this kind of phantom availability common, or are the seats really there but something else is keeping me from changing the return segment?

Thanks all....
Old Nov 7, 2023, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Thats wild I had no idea some of DL are not free to redeposit. All the ones I did were the US, Mexico or Central America as I recall.

So you are saying my CI ticket from HKG to HND is not refundable/free mileage redeposit should I need to cancel?
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Correct. Any ticket with first flight not from N America can have redeposit fee. Some routes they are waiving it on. (Australia/ Oceania fir example). Also a lot of agents have no clue about fee and don't charge it.
Originally Posted by RealHJ
AA you don't need to call and miles post back instantly, as long as there's been no material changes and the record hasn't been reticketed. You only need to call in if it's been reticketed and there's more than one ticket under the PNR history.

Unlike with AA, with DL free redeposit only applies for some routes and is highly origin & destination specific. Most flights nowadays carry a redeposit fee again (unlike AA, UA and AS where all redeposits are free). Flights originating in US/Canada/Mexico currently don't have a redeposit fee, and flights originating in Asia/Australia also I believe still. Also originations in Israel. Other originations you are subject to a redeposit fee with DL, unlike any of its competitors.

I would probably go even further, the fare rules when I try to book a KLM flight with Miles on Skymiles in Business Class departing in Asia ending in Europa clearly say it's "non refundable". Nothing about a cancelltion fee

PENALTIES

CHANGES CHANGES PERMITTED FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION. NOTE - ----------------------------------------------- SAME DAY CONFIRMED ONLY APPLIES TO AREAS OF TRAVEL IN THE 50 UNITED STATES/CANADA/PUERTO RICO AND THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS. CANCELLATIONS TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL. NOTE - THIS CANCELLATION FEE WILL ALSO BE ASSESSED TO COUPONS ISSUED IN CONJUNCTION WITH FARES GOVERNED BY THIS RULE. TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF NO-SHOW. NOTE - TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE AND HAS NO REMAINING VALUE IN CASE OF NO-SHOW
Old Nov 7, 2023, 4:57 pm

Using Skymiles on Aeromexico

Posting as both a question (if someone knows differently) and for information based on what I was just told by a Delta rep.

Not all AM flights are eligible for booking via Skymiles redemption. I was looking for the AM 70 MEX-FCO flight i early May. I can see it on AM's site, but not on Delta's. Delta confirms they can't see it either, and said that partners may not make all their flights available to Delta for Skymiles redemptions..

It's not possible to marry AM with other Skyteam partners' flights unless there's a Delta segment. Since I couldn't get the AM flight to FCO, I switched to AF. I need a connecting flight from LAP to MEX, and while I can book either of those with Skymiles. I can't book them as connecting flights (connection times are OK) on a single itinerary. Whether or not AM would be able/willing to check baggage though to Rome on the AF flight, or if I would need to claim and re-check in MEX is an open question.

Any experience with this kind of redemption would be appreciated.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by andycat
Posting as both a question (if someone knows differently) and for information based on what I was just told by a Delta rep.

Not all AM flights are eligible for booking via Skymiles redemption. I was looking for the AM 70 MEX-FCO flight i early May. I can see it on AM's site, but not on Delta's. Delta confirms they can't see it either, and said that partners may not make all their flights available to Delta for Skymiles redemptions..

It's not possible to marry AM with other Skyteam partners' flights unless there's a Delta segment. Since I couldn't get the AM flight to FCO, I switched to AF. I need a connecting flight from LAP to MEX, and while I can book either of those with Skymiles. I can't book them as connecting flights (connection times are OK) on a single itinerary. Whether or not AM would be able/willing to check baggage though to Rome on the AF flight, or if I would need to claim and re-check in MEX is an open question.

Any experience with this kind of redemption would be appreciated.
AM will through check across tickets. Note the isstheis likely DL system not recognizing routing as valid, despite being valid. DL implemented upgrades recently that has resulted in issues with routing (both cash and award, but more so award). DL IT at its best.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Using miles on Air France

I have a rt on AF CDG HND in J.

I need to change the return flight. I keep seeing options to change (or book new flight) but app won't confirm the change in the final screen, and agents say they can't see availability. Is phantom space common, or am I encountering another problem?

Can I cancel return and try to book new one way? That seems risky.... Other ideas?
Old Nov 22, 2023, 1:05 pm

AA you don't need to call and miles post back instantly, as long as there's been no material changes and the record hasn't been reticketed. You only need to call in if it's been reticketed and there's more than one ticket under the PNR history.

Unlike with AA, with DL free redeposit only applies for some routes and is highly origin & destination specific. Most flights nowadays carry a redeposit fee again (unlike AA, UA and AS where all redeposits are free). Flights originating in US/Canada/Mexico currently don't have a redeposit fee, and flights originating in Asia/Australia also I believe still. Also originations in Israel. Other originations you are subject to a redeposit fee with DL, unlike any of its competitors.
I just booked a GUM-US ticket with Skymiles. The first flight is to ICN on KE, and ICN-US is on Delta metal. I'm booked in Prestige/Delta One/First. I was told that the Skymiles would be redeposited for free up until the time of departure, but after the default 24 hour cancellation period has expired I would sacrifice the fees paid (about $52). I booked it somewhat speculatively, but if the cancellation policy is as I was told, I'm willing to sacrifice the $52 if I end up canceling.

I had forgotten to ask about the cancellation policy when I booked, so I called back later and asked. What threw me off about the cancellation policy by region is that the first segment is GUM-ICN on Korean, or US-Asia. Or, is Guam considered Asia?
Old Nov 22, 2023, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by g289t
I just booked a GUM-US ticket with Skymiles. The first flight is to ICN on KE, and ICN-US is on Delta metal. I'm booked in Prestige/Delta One/First. I was told that the Skymiles would be redeposited for free up until the time of departure, but after the default 24 hour cancellation period has expired I would sacrifice the fees paid (about $52). I booked it somewhat speculatively, but if the cancellation policy is as I was told, I'm willing to sacrifice the $52 if I end up canceling.

I had forgotten to ask about the cancellation policy when I booked, so I called back later and asked. What threw me off about the cancellation policy by region is that the first segment is GUM-ICN on Korean, or US-Asia. Or, is Guam considered Asia?
Good question. The regions used to be published by DL. That, like so much other pertinent information, has been taken away by DL. So we can't know for sure. It will be whichever way DL employee decides, so it will depend on your luck, and the mood of the person you get when you try to cancel (if online it doesn't work with no fees).

What you were told is total BS. There is no such thing with DL (as there is with BA, VS) where you don't get taxes/fees back but get the miles back. That NEVER happens. You either get miles and $ back, or you get it back but have to pay a redeposit fee ($150 or $250, I forgot). There is no inbetween. Don't trust anything DL employees tell you - 90%+ of time it's pure lies, just things they make up to make you go away.
g289t likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:47 am

Good question. The regions used to be published by DL. That, like so much other pertinent information, has been taken away by DL. So we can't know for sure. It will be whichever way DL employee decides, so it will depend on your luck, and the mood of the person you get when you try to cancel (if online it doesn't work with no fees).

What you were told is total BS. There is no such thing with DL (as there is with BA, VS) where you don't get taxes/fees back but get the miles back. That NEVER happens. You either get miles and $ back, or you get it back but have to pay a redeposit fee ($150 or $250, I forgot). There is no inbetween. Don't trust anything DL employees tell you - 90%+ of time it's pure lies, just things they make up to make you go away.
Thank you for the info. I was quite certain that what I was told was not accurate. I haven't flown Delta as much the last several years, and I haven't had opportunity to think about canceling a trip. I checked the cancelation options just now, 2 calendar days and 48+ hours after booking, and it is fully refundable, including all points and fees.

Old Nov 24, 2023, 12:24 pm

Good question. The regions used to be published by DL. That, like so much other pertinent information, has been taken away by DL.
It seems that cabotage rules do apply to Guam <> US itineraries for foreign airlines. I went to Korean Air's website to see if I could book this itinerary. I got this message:

I have also been able to book GUM-US on UA via Tokyo, all on United metal.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 2:17 am

MQMs earnings on an Award SkyTeam KLM/AF

I booked an award flight with KLM/AF/Flying Blue with the outbound flight on AF from JFK-CDG-HND. My return flight was on Delta metal from HND-SEA-JFK. I know I don't earn skymiles on award tickets and understood that I should earn MQMs on flights on Delta metal. However, I was awarded Skymiles AND MQMs on my outbound AF flight. I received nothing (no MQMs or skymiles) on my return flight which was on Delta. Is this incorrect? Should I request the missing MQMs on my DL portion even though I received MQMs and miles on the AF flight? Trying to calculate my MQMs before the end of the year and if Delta gives me MQMs on the return flight, I'll hit my goal for Platinum without having to do any mileage runs. Any thoughts? Were the MQMs I received with AF partner wrong?
Old Dec 1, 2023, 5:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
You only get SkyMiles credit for flights booked with SkyMiles. Somehow (IROPS?) the AF legs got rebooked so it looked like a revenue flight.

Calling into DL to try to get credit for the legs that DL can see are award could very easily result in them discovering the erroneous posting on the AF legs.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl
You only get SkyMiles credit for flights booked with SkyMiles. Somehow (IROPS?) the AF legs got rebooked so it looked like a revenue flight.

Calling into DL to try to get credit for the legs that DL can see are award could very easily result in them discovering the erroneous posting on the AF legs.

Ah yes the original leg was cancelled & rebooked. Spend SkyMiles to earn SkyMiles I know but Im not really after RDMs, just the MQMs. I thought you do earn MQMs even on partner award flights which is why I was considering requesting the missing MQMs on the DL legs. Would DL take away the erroneous posting on the AF legs if they found it?
Old Dec 1, 2023, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eun1corn
Ah yes the original leg was cancelled & rebooked. Spend SkyMiles to earn SkyMiles I know but Im not really after RDMs, just the MQMs. I thought you do earn MQMs even on partner award flights which is why I was considering requesting the missing MQMs on the DL legs. Would DL take away the erroneous posting on the AF legs if they found it?
No MQM earning on partner award flights -- only DL Skymiles awards on DL metal flights earn MQM/MQD. It's a continuation of the earlier Status Accellerator program and has the same T&Cs which had this requirement (although they took them down after the program ended).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.