75S Delta One vs A350 Domestic First

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, AMEX, National, Avis
75S Delta One vs A350 Domestic First

Good Morning-
Long time lurker, first time posting

I have an upcoming trip from ATL-RDM on 9/23 that I am using as a first class quasi-mileage run. Currently I am going ATL-JFK-SEA-RDM with ATL-JFK f/c on the 767-300 and JFK-SEA being Delta One on a 75S. Alternatively, I noticed I could go ATL-SLC-RDM with the ATL-SLC leg being on the A350. I know D1 pales in comparison to what it was pre-pandemic, but is it still worth it over domestic f/c? Specifically D1 on a 75S vs domestic f/c on an A350?

I would add a few more segements to make the mileage run equal if I went with the ATL-SLC-RDM routing, for what its worth.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The A350 will be, by far, the best cabin. The biggest difference is that every passenger has direct aisle access, while the 757 is the only D1 cabin that does not offer this.

Personally, I would choose hard product over soft product, and pack a decent travel pillow and some fresh snacks you like.
xjoedx, SuperG1955, HNL1K and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by xjoedx
Good Morning-
Long time lurker, first time posting

I have an upcoming trip from ATL-RDM on 9/23 that I am using as a first class quasi-mileage run. Currently I am going ATL-JFK-SEA-RDM with ATL-JFK f/c on the 767-300 and JFK-SEA being Delta One on a 75S. Alternatively, I noticed I could go ATL-SLC-RDM with the ATL-SLC leg being on the A350. I know D1 pales in comparison to what it was pre-pandemic, but is it still worth it over domestic f/c? Specifically D1 on a 75S vs domestic f/c on an A350?

I would add a few more segements to make the mileage run equal if I went with the ATL-SLC-RDM routing, for what its worth.

Thanks!
Depends on what you value. Being booked in D1 will give you SkyClub access while being in domestic F will not come with SC access. If you have a Credit Card that grants SC access this is a non-issue, though JFK and SEA both have nice SkyClubs (though I can't speak for what's being offered at either SC right now), though SLC's new SC is pretty nice too.

I guess I'd also consider what you would be in the other legs of the trip. The A350 for sure has the better seat, but ATL-SLC is 3 hr 45 min or so while JFK-SEA is 6 hr 18 min so the question becomes for what is likely the long-haul flight of your MR, would you rather be in a lie-flat for less than 4 hours or more than 6 hours?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Are you flying by yourself or with a companion?

75S you are sharing the row with someone (2-2 seating) whereas with A359 you have all-aisle access and have the row to yourself if against the window and a big barrier/wall between you if in the center.

In the current COVID climate, I'm always inclined to take the more isolated A359 seat if flying solo for the added spacing
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Depends on what you value. Being booked in D1 will give you SkyClub access while being in domestic F will not come with SC access. If you have a Credit Card that grants SC access this is a non-issue, though JFK and SEA both have nice SkyClubs (though I can't speak for what's being offered at either SC right now), though SLC's new SC is pretty nice too.

I guess I'd also consider what you would be in the other legs of the trip. The A350 for sure has the better seat, but ATL-SLC is 3 hr 45 min or so while JFK-SEA is 6 hr 18 min so the question becomes for what is likely the long-haul flight of your MR, would you rather be in a lie-flat for less than 4 hours or more than 6 hours?
Good points all around. I have AMEX Platinum so I will be leveraging that for SC/Centurion access on either routing. As far as lie flat, the ATL-JFK-SEA routing would have over 8hrs in lie flat (ATL-JFK and JFK-SEA) whereas even with added segments (likely a ATL-DFW turn that morning), the ATL-SLC would be the only lie flat segment for that routing.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
Are you flying by yourself or with a companion?

75S you are sharing the row with someone (2-2 seating) whereas with A359 you have all-aisle access and have the row to yourself if against the window and a big barrier/wall between you if in the center.

In the current COVID climate, I'm always inclined to take the more isolated A359 seat if flying solo for the added spacing
Myself--good point about being alone as opposed to having a seatmate, especially on an over 6hr flight. I hadn't thought about it from that perspective.
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
As a mileage run, I'd definitely do ATL-JFK-SEA-RDM over ATL-SLC-RDM.

Lie-flats (even if it's 767 for a portion) most of the way plus D1 on the longer segment sounds better than 4 hours on an A350 with a snack box to me. Plus that's going to yield more miles. If the cost difference is negligible, I'd definitely do the longer routing.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta PM
I would try to get on the A339 that they are running on JFK-SEA. That's what I'm doing.
HNL1K likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crossinator
I would try to get on the A339 that they are running on JFK-SEA. That's what I'm doing.
Whats the flight # and day you are travelling? I am not seeing anything other than 737 or 757 on the direct JFK to SEA for 9/23
Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:39 am

Someone doing a MR would undoubtedly take the longest routing they could find, especially with D1 bedding and a hot meal on D1 routes. I'd also be concerned about that A350 being swapped out, since I doubt late September schedules are set in stone.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
One more thought: Do you really need the mileage run? Given Covid as well as how easy it is to currently earn miles through credit card spend, I don't think I'd be eager to take three flights vs two. Personally, I would go the most direct route, though I was never one to go out of my way for miles, at least through flying, I just don't want to be on planes that much.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Someone doing a MR would undoubtedly take the longest routing they could fine, especially with D1 bedding and a hot meal on D1 routes. I'd also be concerned about that A350 being swapped out, since I doubt late September schedules are set in stone.
Thanks. I would be adding segments to make sure the mileage is equal no matter the routing I take. Equipment swap is a concern of mine as well.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by xjoedx
Whats the flight # and day you are travelling? I am not seeing anything other than 737 or 757 on the direct JFK to SEA for 9/23
Flying JFK-SEA on 8/18; SEA-JFK on 8/23.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is the JFK option the same price (would kind of doubt it) or at least decent cpm? If miles are your goal, it's more miles, most of them in lie-flats.

If earning isn't your specific goal, I would take the 350 since it's both a much nicer hard product and also a much faster itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.