Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Delta ever fly to Hong Kong again?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Delta ever fly to Hong Kong again?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2021, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lsquare
Wasn't it also fairly recently that there was an aircraft that can fly non-stop from HKG-JFK? I think YVR was necessary at the time not just because of the huge HK population in Vancouver, but also to refuel. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Correct, but they could've picked SEA or YVR. They went with YVR for a reason. The flight was able to go nonstop for many years before, but continuedto go via YVR to pickup passengers. In fact CX had a nonstop JFK-HKG, the JFK-YVR-HKG was a 2nd daily frequency for JFK-HKG.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
How can CX make that determination when COVID would begin not that long after the start of the route? I think the media mentioned CX cutting the route because of COVID.
It is only part of the story. If COVID was the sole culprit, then CX needed not to cancel, but suspend the service, like other U.S. routes.

In short - CX made a bet and lost (as always).

CX has HKG as a hub and maybe they thought it could work? They did flew to YVR with many daily flights pre-COVID.
The exact internal decision process was unknown. However, given the time between DL's cancellation announcement and CX's announcement, the decision was made recklessly, looking like CX just walked in when DL walked out.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Back when HKG was handed over many more HKG residents choose YVR (CANADA) over SEA (US) to move to. There's a reason that CX (till it axed route just before CV19) flew JFK-YVR-HKG and not JFK-SEA-HKG.
Not exactly. But true. Just for Chinese alone, YVR has 2 times more than SEA. And the reason why it is JFK-YVR-HKG and not JFK-SEA-HKG is clearly FAA related.

They went with YVR for a reason.
Indeed, because at the minimum 1) FAA will not approve a foreign carrier for domestic market; 2) CBP would make an issue for immigration/customs.

Before its cancellation, CX's YVR-JFK was the only transborder flight that exempt preclearance process.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Wasn't it also fairly recently that there was an aircraft that can fly non-stop from HKG-JFK? I think YVR was necessary at the time not just because of the huge HK population in Vancouver, but also to refuel. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Nonstop flights between New York and Hong Kong have existed since early 2001 (20+ years ago). If I recall correctly, CO was the launch carrier, and UA followed like a month after (before the CO-UA merger). At its peak pre-Covid, CX had up to 4-5 flights a day (JFK + EWR), and UA had 2 flights a day (EWR only)

With advancement in aircraft technology, NYC-SIN has long been a reality already, NYC-HKG is a piece of cake in comparison.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by garykung
It is only part of the story. If COVID was the sole culprit, then CX needed not to cancel, but suspend the service, like other U.S. routes.

In short - CX made a bet and lost (as always).

The exact internal decision process was unknown. However, given the time between DL's cancellation announcement and CX's announcement, the decision was made recklessly, looking like CX just walked in when DL walked out.

Not exactly. But true. Just for Chinese alone, YVR has 2 times more than SEA. And the reason why it is JFK-YVR-HKG and not JFK-SEA-HKG is clearly FAA related.

Indeed, because at the minimum 1) FAA will not approve a foreign carrier for domestic market; 2) CBP would make an issue for immigration/customs.

Before its cancellation, CX's YVR-JFK was the only transborder flight that exempt preclearance process.
They didn't need FAA approval. They weren't going to fly paying passengers just JFK-SEA as a primary motivation. Flying paying passengers JFK-YVR was a non-priority. They were stopping at YVR to pickup passengers to goto HKG. If they got a few extra $ flying passengers JFK-YVR great, but again didn't matter. YVR over SEA regardless of HKG or Chinese population was about fact either group is more populated in YVR.

QF flies (or flew pre CV19) SYD-LAX-JFK. They just cant accept paying passengers just LAX-JFK.

Actually DL YVR-ATL flight was not preclearance due to hour of departure. Sucked, you got ATL at same time as African flights.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jul 24, 2021 at 6:19 pm
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
They didn't need FAA approval.
Picking up or not - I do believe some kind of approval is needed.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Picking up or not - I do believe some kind of approval is needed.
I dont believe the bilateral treaty between US/HKG requires this. I could be wrong, but generally treaties would allow this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 4:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PreCOVID-19, HKG-JFK was generally more expensive than HKG-YVR-NYC and similarly for award tickets, The nonstop seemed to have less availability than then direct/connection HKG-YVR-JFK. Maybe part of this difference is that nonstops are more desirable, especially in premium cabins.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PreCOVID-19, HKG-JFK was generally more expensive than HKG-YVR-NYC and similarly for award tickets, The nonstop seemed to have less availability than then direct/connection HKG-YVR-JFK. Maybe part of this difference is that nonstops are more desirable, especially in premium cabins.
What about timing? Wasn't HKG-YVR-JFK a red-eye?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:46 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Very interesting comment. Does anyone else here have a guess as to why DL never tried to fly out of LAX or JFK?
At one time, Delta did operate LAX-HKG using MD-11 equipment. That operated for a few years in the 90's.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
.....and for a brief period around 1997, PMNW operated a MSP-HKG nonstop, I suspect using a 747. At that time (shortly before the handover), the old Hong Kong airport was still being used. Landing there was fun.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

.....and for a brief period around 1997, PMNW operated a MSP-HKG nonstop, I suspect using a 747. At that time (shortly before the handover), the old Hong Kong airport was still being used. Landing there was fun.
My roommate from college flew that route in High school as part of school trip. He told me it was the best landing he could imagine. He's a pilot and even today he wishes had gotten chance to fly in himself.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 11:37 am

My roommate from college flew that route in High school as part of school trip. He told me it was the best landing he could imagine. He's a pilot and even today he wishes had gotten chance to fly in himself.
I loved it; I had been told in advance what to expect. OTOH I would not have been comfortable flying into there on some LCC/ULCC.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
At one time, Delta did operate LAX-HKG using MD-11 equipment. That operated for a few years in the 90's.
I believe at that time UA (or Pam-Am) has LAX-HKG as well. BTW - UA did fly SEA-HKG in the past.

.....and for a brief period around 1997, PMNW operated a MSP-HKG nonstop, I suspect using a 747.
It was indeed 747.

OTOH I would not have been comfortable flying into there on some LCC/ULCC.
So you mean CI?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I believe at that time UA (or Pam-Am) has LAX-HKG as well. BTW - UA did fly SEA-HKG in the past.

It was indeed 747.

So you mean CI?
When did UA stopped flying SEA-HKG?

Since when was CI considered a LCC?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When did UA stopped flying SEA-HKG?
Don't know. I found out its existence from a UA TV ad decades ago broadcasted in Hong Kong (the ad mentioned SEA/SFO/LAX).

Since when was CI considered a LCC?
When CI became the champion of crashing in Kai Tak the most...
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.