Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Delta ever fly to Hong Kong again?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Delta ever fly to Hong Kong again?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Yes, Delta will resume service to HKG, TPE and other Asia locations. I do not believe they will resume service to SIN though. They will likely serve HKG and TPE from Seattle. This is my understanding from a few discussions with friends in the industry.
I'd be surprised if they actually restarted SEA-HKG. Leadership at DL has gone on record (either on an earnings call or investors conference - forgot) saying that they lost about $20M/yr every year the route was operated. What's changed? PS and the new Airbuses? The new IAF at SEA?

Last edited by ab2013; Jul 25, 2021 at 1:39 pm
Old Jul 25, 2021, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ab2013
I'd be surprised if they actually restarted SEA-HKG. Leadership at DL has gone on record (either on an earnings call or investors conference - forgot) saying that they lost about $20M/yr every year the route was operated. What's changed? PS and the new Airbuses? The new IAF at SEA?
The new Airbuses are more fuel efficient. How about selecting better departure time for both HKG and SEA? I think previously departed from HKG at around 10 AM. Way too early! I want to finish having breakfast at the hotel before bolting for the airport.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Don't know. I found out its existence from a UA TV ad decades ago broadcasted in Hong Kong (the ad mentioned SEA/SFO/LAX).

When CI became the champion of crashing in Kai Tak the most...
Maybe my memory isn't good, but was it not reported somewhere that Kai Tak is challenging to land?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lsquare
Maybe my memory isn't good, but was it not reported somewhere that Kai Tak is challenging to land?
A challenging landing does not equate incident. And CI's trouble with HKG, both current and old, is well-documented. In fact - the only fatalities occurred in the current HKG were resulted by CI.

Having CI as partner, DL must find a smart way to get back to HKG.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I just dont see it. Hong Kongs economic glory days are behind it, and the CCPs steady reduction in freedoms/autonomy creates a lot of longer term uncertainty. Cathay Pacific has a stranglehold on the HKG long-haul market, and its not like they were hugely profitable even when times were good.

Delta knows a loser when it sees it, and Id wager that even if they had 787s, they still wouldnt serve HKG. There are just better places to make money.
TastyPlaneEats and Newman55 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Hong Kongs economic glory days are behind it, and the CCPs steady reduction in freedoms/autonomy creates a lot of longer term uncertainty.
Don't blame everything on CCP. DL's failure at HKG was mainly due to its own mistakes.

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Delta knows a loser when it sees it, and Id wager that even if they had 787s, they still wouldnt serve HKG.
DL has A359.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Let's not forget that SQ had (pre-pandemic) been operating a TPAC flight from HKG. In fact, it had been generally somewhat easier to get award tickets from SIN connecting through HKG compared to going nonstop from SIN to the USA.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Let's not forget that SQ had (pre-pandemic) been operating a TPAC flight from HKG. In fact, it had been generally somewhat easier to get award tickets from SIN connecting through HKG compared to going nonstop from SIN to the USA.
IMO, HKG isn't a bad place to spend a couple of hours.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 1:31 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
My last trip to HKG, we took VS LAX-LHR-HKG-:LHR-LAX in PE, which was long but great. Love VS and the clubhouses at LAX (so sad it's closed!) & LHR.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 4:06 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by ab2013
I still have memories of connecting on NW at NRT as a kid. Back then, they ran such a large operation that they occupied 2 concourses at NRT and there were also 2 WorldClubs. Landing at NRT, I actually wasn't sure if I was actually in Japan because of how many NW planes were on the ground.
It seems incredible but at their peak NW had 4 daily flights from NRT-HNL, UA even had 3 for a short time. Plus all the other intra-Asian and US flights. The amount of international traffic that NW and UA had out of Japan is hard to imagine today.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Nonstop flights between New York and Hong Kong have existed since early 2001 (20+ years ago). If I recall correctly, CO was the launch carrier, and UA followed like a month after (before the CO-UA merger). At its peak pre-Covid, CX had up to 4-5 flights a day (JFK + EWR), and UA had 2 flights a day (EWR only)
Your memory is good! I never heard good things about the HKG-JFK from UA staff so I don't think it quite took hold. And 9-11 took care of that and many other routes.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
They didn't need FAA approval. They weren't going to fly paying passengers just JFK-SEA as a primary motivation. Flying paying passengers JFK-YVR was a non-priority. They were stopping at YVR to pickup passengers to go to HKG. If they got a few extra $ flying passengers JFK-YVR great, but again didn't matter. YVR over SEA regardless of HKG or Chinese population was about fact either group is more populated in YVR.
In the early naughts there were not a lot of good options to fly from JFK-YVR. CX flew with internationally configured business and first class cabins competing with AC and their domestic first class seats. We were filming a lot of TVCs in YVR for North America at the time. I remember asking for an audit when our NY based creative agency was consistently sending twice as many people from NY to Vancouver to film a commercial compared to when they filmed in Toronto. Turns out they were flying everyone on CX, mostly in international first! YVR film assignments had become quite popular.

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
At one time, Delta did operate LAX-HKG using MD-11 equipment. That operated for a few years in the 90's.
That did not last long. I remember interviewing someone in HKG who had been laid off by DL and she was quite bitter, they were not given a lot of notice. But DL back then bears no resemblance to the DL of today.

When did UA stopped flying SEA-HKG?
UA had been trying to get international flight rights without a lot of success in the 70s and 80s. They were able to bid and get SEA-NRT, SEA-HKG, and I think PDX-SEL and SEA-SEL in the early 80s. Not long after the first flights they finally got approval to buy Pan Am's Pacific division and were required to divest their 2-3 operating Pacific flights. Which they happily did. I remember in 83 walking past all the Pan Am counters in Kai Tak to reach the few for UA thinking how strange it was for a "domestic" US airline to be there.

But as for today, I do not imagine DL has a high priority on resuming HKG service. I think most of the Pacific will be wait and see how things evolve in the post pandemic world..
lsquare, truncated and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
My last trip to HKG, we took VS LAX-LHR-HKG-:LHR-LAX in PE, which was long but great. Love VS and the clubhouses at LAX (so sad it's closed!) & LHR.
How much you paid for that trip? Not aware of many people flying to HK from LAX eastward.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
How much you paid for that trip? Not aware of many people flying to HK from LAX eastward.
If the fare is right they will. I've done SFO/LAX-AMS-BKK/SIN/HKG when KLM offers a J sale.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
If the fare is right they will. I've done SFO/LAX-AMS-BKK/SIN/HKG when KLM offers a J sale.
Man, that's awesome. Must be really nice to spend that much time flying around the world in J.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Man, that's awesome. Must be really nice to spend that much time flying around the world in J.
I could think of better things to do than spend 24 hours in KLMs business class 😂

HKG isnt coming back anytime soon for DL. PVG is obviously their focus in China. Also I dont believe anywhere in China will be as hassle free to get to as it was before Covid came and that includes HKG. The days of TWOV on the mainland and free and easy entry into HKG are gone for the foreseeable future.
flyerCO and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It's better than being in Y!

I fly BIS miles of around 250k a year normally. (Not all Skyteam,) I went to school to be a commercial pilot. I have my license, but due to injury will never again be able to get the medical needed for commercial pilot. Thus I love being in the air, even if sadly not flying the plane itself. (Can still get the medical to fly non-commercial as that's less rigorous)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.