Wiki Posts
Search

Booking on AF site vs Delta site

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott PE
Booking on AF site vs Delta site

Looking at flights for BOS to CMN and looks like I can get business class (AF) for about the same as premium economy on DL. If I book with AF, will I still earn DL MQMs towards status?

Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nikko4me
Looking at flights for BOS to CMN and looks like I can get business class (AF) for about the same as premium economy on DL. If I book with AF, will I still earn DL MQMs towards status?
Yes. Per the charts on the DL website. How to Earn Miles on Partners
Old Jun 2, 2021, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that flights booked through AF site and are AF marketed (even if they are DL operated) will not qualify for current Status Accelerator promo. If you are booking AF operated flight from BOS-CDG, then it won't matter (as it won't earn promo points even if DL marketed).
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Note that flights booked through AF site and are AF marketed (even if they are DL operated) will not qualify for current Status Accelerator promo. If you are booking AF operated flight from BOS-CDG, then it won't matter (as it won't earn promo points even if DL marketed).
They do not qualify for the promo, BUT flights booked AND marketed by AF earn based on % of distance flown. For W and J class, those earnings can be very generous and may be even better than the promo. You will have to do some math.
TechMarauder likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nikko4me

Thanks.
In general, I like to try and book on the website of whatever airline I'm flying on as it tends to make the experience a bit 'cleaner' so to speak.

With that said, if the price difference is significant I'm taking the cheapest option and dealing with the fallout of that later on if at all.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Situation
They do not qualify for the promo, BUT flights booked AND marketed by AF earn based on % of distance flown. For W and J class, those earnings can be very generous and may be even better than the promo. You will have to do some math.
OP specifically mentioned MQMs which are based on distance flown in both cases (and PE fares and discounted J have 50% bonus in both cases), but in the DL marketed/operated case will also earn 75% bonus MQMs due to promo.

BOS-CDG roundtrip MQM earn with AF in PE/discount J is 10344 MQMs vs. 18102 MQMs on DL marketed/operated with promo.

You are referring to MQD/RDM earn where the math gets more complicated when comparing with DL promo earn due to distance based earn on partners.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 2, 2021 at 11:09 am
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by The Situation
You will have to do some math.
To me, the math would begin and end with AF J for same price as DL PE. Would anyone really book DL on these facts?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
To me, the math would begin and end with AF J for same price as DL PE. Would anyone really book DL on these facts?
It sorta depends on how much more the DL J ticket is than the AF J ticket (assuming DL metal). If OP has Amex MQD Waiver and primarily needs MQMs, the 8000 extra MQMs might be worth paying a few hundred dollars more for DL ticket (I'd value 8000 MQMs at about $400 - $500). But, otherwise, the AF J makes more sense.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 2, 2021 at 11:57 am
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It sorta depends on how much more the DL J ticket is than the AF J ticket (assuming DL metal). If OP has Amex MQD Waiver and primarily needs MQMs, the 8000 extra MQMs might be worth paying a few hundred dollars more for DL ticket (I'd value 8000 MQMs at about $400 - $500). But, otherwise, the AF J makes more sense.
I could be wrong, but I think Kaycee is simply pointing out that you're in J with lie flats and associated product vs PE. For anyone I know the math wouldn't be an issue when for same $ you get J, plus J on what most consider a better airline for J.
Kacee and mrspilot like this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depending on when the trip is, I would also compare any rebooking fees/policies that DL and AF offer.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:56 pm

There is no way I would fly long-haul PE instead of long-haul J just to earn a few more miles. Especially now with status becoming increasingly irrelevant.
cmd320 and SFO777 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
There is no way I would fly long-haul PE instead of long-haul J just to earn a few more miles. Especially now with status becoming increasingly irrelevant.
I didn't suggest OP should fly PE. I suggested that if DL J fare is only moderately more than AF J fare, it might be worth considering flying DL J fare (not PE) for the extra MQMs if that is what OP is primarily interested in. I wouldn't be suggesting looking at DL J pricing if I meant OP should consider flying the DL PE fare. This assumes that DL metal is actually involved here. If it's already AF metal anyway then it doesn't matter as it won't earn the boost.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 2, 2021 at 4:55 pm
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I didn't suggest OP should fly PE. I suggested that if DL J fare is only moderately more than AF J fare, it might be worth considering flying DL J fare (not PE) for the extra MQMs if that is what OP is primarily interested in. I wouldn't be suggesting looking at DL J pricing if I meant OP should consider flying the DL PE fare. This assumes that DL metal is actually involved here. If it's already AF metal anyway then it doesn't matter as it won't earn the boost.
No one is suggesting you suggested anything. You simply missed what Kaycee was saying/meaning.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No one is suggesting you suggested anything. You simply missed what Kaycee was saying/meaning.
I understood exactly what he was saying and completely agree that if it's PE vs J for the same amount of money it's not really worth the extra MQMs. Perhaps I wasn't completely clear that the "depends" refers to J vs J in same cabin for somewhat more money for extra MQMs, not PE vs. J.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 8:13 pm

When is your flight?

AF has a very generous booking policy. Any flight booked on AF can be cancelled into a refundable voucher (which you can cash out).

So by buying your flights scheduled before Dec 31, you risk nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.