FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Booking on AF site vs Delta site (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2041556-booking-af-site-vs-delta-site.html)

nikko4me Jun 2, 2021 5:26 am

Booking on AF site vs Delta site

Looking at flights for BOS to CMN and looks like I can get business class (AF) for about the same as premium economy on DL. If I book with AF, will I still earn DL MQMs towards status?

Thanks.

Kacee Jun 2, 2021 5:31 am

Originally Posted by nikko4me (Post 33297083)
Looking at flights for BOS to CMN and looks like I can get business class (AF) for about the same as premium economy on DL. If I book with AF, will I still earn DL MQMs towards status?

Yes. Per the charts on the DL website. How to Earn Miles on Partners

xliioper Jun 2, 2021 8:00 am

Note that flights booked through AF site and are AF marketed (even if they are DL operated) will not qualify for current Status Accelerator promo. If you are booking AF operated flight from BOS-CDG, then it won't matter (as it won't earn promo points even if DL marketed).

The Situation Jun 2, 2021 10:49 am

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 33297314)
Note that flights booked through AF site and are AF marketed (even if they are DL operated) will not qualify for current Status Accelerator promo. If you are booking AF operated flight from BOS-CDG, then it won't matter (as it won't earn promo points even if DL marketed).

They do not qualify for the promo, BUT flights booked AND marketed by AF earn based on % of distance flown. For W and J class, those earnings can be very generous and may be even better than the promo. You will have to do some math.

cmd320 Jun 2, 2021 10:59 am

Originally Posted by nikko4me (Post 33297083)

Thanks.

In general, I like to try and book on the website of whatever airline I'm flying on as it tends to make the experience a bit 'cleaner' so to speak.

With that said, if the price difference is significant I'm taking the cheapest option and dealing with the fallout of that later on if at all.

xliioper Jun 2, 2021 11:02 am

Originally Posted by The Situation (Post 33297708)
They do not qualify for the promo, BUT flights booked AND marketed by AF earn based on % of distance flown. For W and J class, those earnings can be very generous and may be even better than the promo. You will have to do some math.

OP specifically mentioned MQMs which are based on distance flown in both cases (and PE fares and discounted J have 50% bonus in both cases), but in the DL marketed/operated case will also earn 75% bonus MQMs due to promo.

BOS-CDG roundtrip MQM earn with AF in PE/discount J is 10344 MQMs vs. 18102 MQMs on DL marketed/operated with promo.

You are referring to MQD/RDM earn where the math gets more complicated when comparing with DL promo earn due to distance based earn on partners.

Kacee Jun 2, 2021 11:35 am

Originally Posted by The Situation (Post 33297708)
You will have to do some math.

To me, the math would begin and end with AF J for same price as DL PE. Would anyone really book DL on these facts?

xliioper Jun 2, 2021 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33297823)
To me, the math would begin and end with AF J for same price as DL PE. Would anyone really book DL on these facts?

It sorta depends on how much more the DL J ticket is than the AF J ticket (assuming DL metal). If OP has Amex MQD Waiver and primarily needs MQMs, the 8000 extra MQMs might be worth paying a few hundred dollars more for DL ticket (I'd value 8000 MQMs at about $400 - $500). But, otherwise, the AF J makes more sense.

flyerCO Jun 2, 2021 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 33297851)
It sorta depends on how much more the DL J ticket is than the AF J ticket (assuming DL metal). If OP has Amex MQD Waiver and primarily needs MQMs, the 8000 extra MQMs might be worth paying a few hundred dollars more for DL ticket (I'd value 8000 MQMs at about $400 - $500). But, otherwise, the AF J makes more sense.

I could be wrong, but I think Kaycee is simply pointing out that you're in J with lie flats and associated product vs PE. For anyone I know the math wouldn't be an issue when for same $ you get J, plus J on what most consider a better airline for J.

TomMM Jun 2, 2021 2:56 pm

Depending on when the trip is, I would also compare any rebooking fees/policies that DL and AF offer.

Kacee Jun 2, 2021 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 33297851)

There is no way I would fly long-haul PE instead of long-haul J just to earn a few more miles. Especially now with status becoming increasingly irrelevant.

xliioper Jun 2, 2021 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33298447)
There is no way I would fly long-haul PE instead of long-haul J just to earn a few more miles. Especially now with status becoming increasingly irrelevant.

I didn't suggest OP should fly PE. I suggested that if DL J fare is only moderately more than AF J fare, it might be worth considering flying DL J fare (not PE) for the extra MQMs if that is what OP is primarily interested in. I wouldn't be suggesting looking at DL J pricing if I meant OP should consider flying the DL PE fare. This assumes that DL metal is actually involved here. If it's already AF metal anyway then it doesn't matter as it won't earn the boost.

flyerCO Jun 2, 2021 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 33298497)
I didn't suggest OP should fly PE. I suggested that if DL J fare is only moderately more than AF J fare, it might be worth considering flying DL J fare (not PE) for the extra MQMs if that is what OP is primarily interested in. I wouldn't be suggesting looking at DL J pricing if I meant OP should consider flying the DL PE fare. This assumes that DL metal is actually involved here. If it's already AF metal anyway then it doesn't matter as it won't earn the boost.

No one is suggesting you suggested anything. You simply missed what Kaycee was saying/meaning.

xliioper Jun 2, 2021 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 33298673)
No one is suggesting you suggested anything. You simply missed what Kaycee was saying/meaning.

I understood exactly what he was saying and completely agree that if it's PE vs J for the same amount of money it's not really worth the extra MQMs. Perhaps I wasn't completely clear that the "depends" refers to J vs J in same cabin for somewhat more money for extra MQMs, not PE vs. J.

smartytravel Jun 2, 2021 8:13 pm

When is your flight?

AF has a very generous booking policy. Any flight booked on AF can be cancelled into a refundable voucher (which you can cash out).

So by buying your flights scheduled before Dec 31, you risk nothing.