Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Operational issues: only one ground crew at JFK, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Operational issues: only one ground crew at JFK, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by cmd320
You can continue to handicap airlines based on some arbitrary qualification of operating similar route networks, but that isn't really a relevant metric. Also I'm not really sure what defines a "mega airline", not familiar with that terminology.
I literally defined it in the post. 20 largest airlines by passenger volume. You could also spend 30 seconds and look up the OAG report, but I know that being data driven isn't

In a normal year it's about a 50/50 split, but I tend to stick with US airlines only for domestic services. Of course, this past year has been a bit different for obvious reasons. The grass most certainly is greener however.
If you prefer their soft and hard product, great. But there's zero evidence that operational reliability is higher for other international airlines. Please provide data in support of that if so.

You're forgetting that then the flight is just delayed rather than being canceled, Delta is no longer on the hook to provide accommodation. That's the big difference. I'd rather get cancelled, put in a hotel, and figure out how I'm getting back later as opposed to being on the hook for a hotel of my own.
That's just not true. If the flight is delayed overnight due to MX or crew scheduling issues, they are required to put you up in a hotel same as any other.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:18 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I think we should expect things to not be running quite as smooth as they once did at least until the end of the year....
The world is "recovering" from the major disruption that COVID caused. I have to imagine people don't really know what's going on. Stuff is still changing rapidly and it does take time to notify everyone of policy changes.

We could go on and on about the staffing problems that everyone is experiencing right now. Nobody will agree on what caused that, but it doesn't really make a difference because it is being experienced almost everywhere.

Flying has become very frustrating to all involved. I know people tend to vilify the corporation but remember these are people. They don't wake up and decide to make your travel experience miserable so perhaps we should cut them a little slack.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Like many official airline websites, the JFK website only shows limited data. But, for last night, there are the scheduled Delta arrivals/departures between 11:30pm and 1:00am:

Arrivals:
Flight 426 (ATL): 11:56pm
Flight 1726 (SAE): 11:59pm
Flight 9100 (MEX): 12:25am
Flight 789 (SLC): 12:28am
Flight 1089 (SFO): 12:49am

Source: https://www.airport-jfk.com/arrivals...elta-air-lines

Departures:
Flight 156 (ACC): 11:45pm
Flight 234 (TLV): 11:45pm

Source: https://www.airport-jfk.com/departur...elta-air-lines

Personally, I have no knowledge about ground clues, so I won't speculate. Perhaps someone else more knowledgeable can opine about whether a single ground crew can reasonably manage all of those planes.
We were the 12:28 flight and the doors did not open until much later than scheduled arrival, which is especially annoying after having landed and taxied to the terminal early (we circled for a while, so could have landed even earlier, but that could be JFK rather than DL, although how busy is JFK around midnight). That suggests to me that a single ground crew can not reasonably manage all of those planes. Of course, our flight may have been a one off issue due to problems with other flights.

If flights are on time, I don't see how one ground crew can handle both 12:25 and 12:28. Our announced problem was another plane at the gate, so we had to wait until it left.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by richarddd
We were the 12:28 flight and the doors did not open until much later than scheduled arrival, which is especially annoying after having landed and taxied to the terminal early (we circled for a while, so could have landed even earlier, but that could be JFK rather than DL, although how busy is JFK around midnight). That suggests to me that a single ground crew can not reasonably manage all of those planes. Of course, our flight may have been a one off issue due to problems with other flights.

If flights are on time, I don't see how one ground crew can handle both 12:25 and 12:28. Our announced problem was another plane at the gate, so we had to wait until it left.
Does DL ground handle for AM at JFK? I know AM moved to T4 from T1. Not sure if they went with DL for ground handling.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
This is no longer a hallmark of Delta as it may have been ~2+ years ago.

It was? Personally I have found out the ground operations to be the weakest link for years.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Virtually all of Delta's Major Meltdowns of the last couple of years have involved or been IT failures, mostly at Atlanta (or starting there) and spreading out to the rest of the system. Why this hasn't been dealt with yet is something that makes no sense to me and also that a couple of high level heads (R. Sammant) haven't rolled yet is completely beyond anything that almost any company would have let go on for years now. Ed and the BOD needed to get on this months (actually years) ago.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by ttuna3
Virtually all of Delta's Major Meltdowns of the last couple of years have involved or been IT failures, mostly at Atlanta (or starting there) and spreading out to the rest of the system. Why this hasn't been dealt with yet is something that makes no sense to me and also that a couple of high level heads (R. Sammant) haven't rolled yet is completely beyond anything that almost any company would have let go on for years now. Ed and the BOD needed to get on this months (actually years) ago.
Unless these weaknesses were known by both tiers and strategic decisions were made to take the risks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.