Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

We didn't want a separate Sky Miles account, what now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps

The last time my wife and I flew, last month, the Delta app that she was using started a new Sky Miles account for her. And we don't want this. Or at least, we don't think we want this. We've built a pretty good account just going through my Sky Miles account. Neither one of us flies more than twice a year and it's usually together.

Your suggestions, please.
Old May 12, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You do not get any miles/credit from her tickets... only what you personally fly. So if she never had an account before, then anything earned from her flying was wasted and went nowhere.

Even though you don't fly often, her having an account will allow her to earn miles for the few trips that she does take, and you'll continue to earn from your flights as normal.
Old May 12, 2021, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
possibly more importantly, she also has to have an account number to be eligible for companion upgrades on your reservations
Old Hickory and wrp96 like this.
Old May 12, 2021, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I hope OP doesn't mean that when wife travels alone, she uses his FF number. That would be a clear violation of DL's program rules.
lsquare, wrp96, formeraa and 1 others like this.
Old May 12, 2021, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope OP doesn't mean that when wife travels alone, she uses his FF number. That would be a clear violation of DL's program rules.
unless they have the same name, I don't even know how they COULD do this if they wanted to
lsquare likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
For starter - how did your wife able to get a new account?
Old May 12, 2021, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
The last time my wife and I flew, last month, the Delta app that she was using started a new Sky Miles account for her. And we don't want this. Or at least, we don't think we want this. We've built a pretty good account just going through my Sky Miles account. Neither one of us flies more than twice a year and it's usually together.

I'm a bit confused as to what you're asking for so I'm going to attack this from two angles:

1) If you're saying the App somehow created a second account for your wife and you're saying your wife now has two Skymiles accounts, you can contact DL and they can merge the two accounts into one account and she can use the one account going forward

2) If you're saying that when you always just put your FF number under your wife's name when she flew, this is a violation of program rules and I'm surprised both of you could fly on the same flights using the same FF number (yours) and that the system didn't catch that something wonky was going on. If this is what you were doing, you should stop immediately and simply allow your wife to accumulate miles under her own name/account.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
We've built a pretty good account just going through my Sky Miles account.
"We" don't build a SkyMiles account.
Old May 12, 2021, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by indufan
Just when I think FF programs are simple posts like these make me realize 99% of people don’t know how FF programs work.
hhdl, wrp96, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old May 12, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the OP earns miles through a credit card and the spouse is issued an additional card on the same AMEX account the RDM accrued by the spending of both go into the account of the primary cardholder.
El Boocho and hhdl like this.
Old May 12, 2021, 6:15 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
Just when I think FF programs are simple posts like these make me realize 99% of people don’t know how FF programs work.
or care for the first 5 years

It's like a lottery that you never win, but hold out hope anyway
Old May 12, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
I'd give my husband my phone lock code before I gave him access to my miles
Old May 12, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold

Miles ALWAYS go to the passenger, not the person paying for the ticket. Therefore, up until now, the miles for your ticket have been going into your account, and Delta has been keeping the miles for your wife's ticket since she doesn't have an account.

Now, finally, she can start earning miles too. You will still earn just as many miles as you always have. But she will start earning them too
Old May 13, 2021, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by kale73
If the OP earns miles through a credit card and the spouse is issued an additional card on the same AMEX account the RDM accrued by the spending of both go into the account of the primary cardholder.
OP here. Yes, this is our situation. My wife has an additional Amex Sky Miles card and the spending as well as Sky Miles Dining goes into the primary account.

My problem is that we have a single Marriott Bonvoy account and a Marriott branded Visa that accumulates (not going to dare say build) points for the single account. I thought the Amex Sky Miles card was doing the same until my wife got a welcome email to Sky Miles and a few puny miles. She doesn't remember signing up for Sky Miles. That is why I'm asking the original question.

I can't remember if I've booked and purchased a ticket for her without me also flying.
Old May 13, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP here. Yes, this is our situation. My wife has an additional Amex Sky Miles card and the spending as well as Sky Miles Dining goes into the primary account.

My problem is that we have a single Marriott Bonvoy account and a Marriott branded Visa that accumulates (not going to dare say build) points for the single account. I thought the Amex Sky Miles card was doing the same until my wife got a welcome email to Sky Miles and a few puny miles. She doesn't remember signing up for Sky Miles. That is why I'm asking the original question.

I can't remember if I've booked and purchased a ticket for her without me also flying.
Not really following. You can pool miles from her additional Amex card into your account, but you cannot pool miles from her flying into your account. Even if you are flying on the same reservation, her miles will not credit to your account (you will only get the miles for the Amex spend for her ticket, but not the miles from the flying itself). If she signed up for a new Amex card in her name that was not an additional card, that must also go into her own personal Skymiles account (they will create one if she doesn't have one already).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.