Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

We didn't want a separate Sky Miles account, what now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We didn't want a separate Sky Miles account, what now?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2021, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
OP here. Yes, this is our situation. My wife has an additional Amex Sky Miles card and the spending as well as Sky Miles Dining goes into the primary account.

My problem is that we have a single Marriott Bonvoy account and a Marriott branded Visa that accumulates (not going to dare say build) points for the single account. I thought the Amex Sky Miles card was doing the same until my wife got a welcome email to Sky Miles and a few puny miles. She doesn't remember signing up for Sky Miles. That is why I'm asking the original question.

I can't remember if I've booked and purchased a ticket for her without me also flying.
Then have you ever contacted SkyMiles for a solution?
Old May 13, 2021, 4:53 pm

OP here. Yes, this is our situation. My wife has an additional Amex Sky Miles card and the spending as well as Sky Miles Dining goes into the primary account.
Okay, first thing is first. You both don't have a single primary account. it sounds like YOU (only you) have a SkyMiles account, which for whatever reason is where your wife's AMEX miles go. Nothing wrong with this in theory but it would certainly be better if your wife got her own AMEX card* and had miles going into her account.

My problem is that we have a single Marriott Bonvoy account and a Marriott branded Visa that accumulates (not going to dare say build) points for the single account.
what one hotel program does or doesn't do is meaningless to what an airline's FF program does. Even with that said, I don't believe Marriott credits anything to anyone but the name on the account as far as actual stays go.

but I rarely use Marriott as I am a Hilton Diamond
I thought the Amex Sky Miles card was doing the same until my wife got a welcome email to Sky Miles and a few puny miles. She doesn't remember signing up for Sky Miles. That is why I'm asking the original question.
Okay I'm confused. Does your wife have a shared AMEX with you, or does she have her own (literally your name is not anywhere near the account) AMEX?

If she is on your AMEX, which as I said above doesn't make much sense when looking purely at SkyMiles, YOU will any miles earned on spend. So if she goes to Publix and spends 50 bucks, you get 50 bucks worth of miles on your account.
If she has her own AMEX SkyMiles card, then she set up an account whenever she got said card. AFAIK its not possible to apply for a Delta branded AMEX without a SkyMiles number. I am not sure if she can apply for an AMEX SkyMiles card using your number. Again, I have no idea why a person would do so...... So I haven't looked into.

Because......
I can't remember if I've booked and purchased a ticket for her without me also flying.
This doesn't matter. If you are with her, not with her, etc. etc. it is completely meaningless here.

If I buy you a ticket on my AMEX I will get the miles for the price of the ticket. (ie I buy you a r/t ticket from ATL-MCO, I will get whatever I paid for the ticket. So say its 191 bucks, I'll get 191 bucks worth of miles)
What you WILL NOT GET is the miles she flies on the trip. So using my above example, I will get the miles for the ticket price but I will NOT get any miles, MQMs etc. etc for you flying on a ticket I bought with my AMEX.

This is why, if she flies at all, she should have her own SkyMiles account. The only miles you will get is any miles that YOU and only YOU fly.
Old May 13, 2021, 8:28 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
There are a few frequent flyer programs (British Airways and Jet Blue come to mind) that allow people to form groups to pool their miles toward a common travel goal, but this is not a feature offered by Delta at this time.
Old May 13, 2021, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL likes all airlines does name matching between ticket and FF account. If it doesn't match, no mile awarded.
Old May 14, 2021, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by garykung
Then have you ever contacted SkyMiles for a solution?
No. This just happened so I came here first to get some savvy wisdom from the group.
Old May 14, 2021, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by beachmouse
There are a few frequent flyer programs (British Airways and Jet Blue come to mind) that allow people to form groups to pool their miles toward a common travel goal, but this is not a feature offered by Delta at this time.
In SkyTeam, IIRC KE allows family accounts. VS might have this feature too.
Old May 14, 2021, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
No. This just happened so I came here first to get some savvy wisdom from the group.
Contact SM. They should be able to merge accounts for you.
Old Hickory likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by garykung
Contact SM. They should be able to merge accounts for you.
According to the rules, they shouldn't merge accounts in different names, but they should be able to redirect future AU credit card miles to the primary cardholder's FF account.
Old May 14, 2021, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
According to the rules, they shouldn't merge accounts in different names, but they should be able to redirect future AU credit card miles to the primary cardholder's FF account.
Whatever the problem is, it is among OP, AMEX and SM. It is not something we can resolve. Hence, contact SM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.