Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New here...need advice

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2021, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

New here...need advice

Hi. A friend recommended that I ask this community some advice on a Delta status issue.

I recently accepted a job that will require me to fly roughly 35 weeks per year. I have figured out that by the end of 2022 I will have enough MQMs and MQDs to earn Diamond status (I am currently Platinum). I have also figured out that by the end of 2021 I will have enough MQMS for Diamond, but will be about $5k short on MQDs. I am wondering whether there are ways, other than just purchasing first class tickets or unnecessary flights, to earn MQDs. If not do you think the extra $5k spend will be worth it to have Diamond this year instead of waiting until next year.

I appreciate any thoughts you can provide.
Old May 13, 2021, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Do your numbers factor in the 2021 Accelerator?

If you purchase Comfort+ or higher, you will earn 1.75 x your base fares towards MQDs. It might be worth foregoing the Comfort+ upgrade at booking and instead purchasing the seat. That can boost your MQDs on the entire fare by a bit.
Old May 13, 2021, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Another option is getting a Delta Amex. I won’t ask what your spend levels are like but I believe you get an MQD waiver for DM only at $250k spend/year. Of course if you’re a big spender on cards this may make sense.
Old May 13, 2021, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Do your numbers factor in the 2021 Accelerator?

If you purchase Comfort+ or higher, you will earn 1.75 x your base fares towards MQDs. It might be worth foregoing the Comfort+ upgrade at booking and instead purchasing the seat. That can boost your MQDs on the entire fare by a bit.
Thanks for the reply. I am a novice so didnt know about the accelerator. So based on what you said if I purchase roughly $8,500 in comfort+ or above I will hit $15k MQDs?
Old May 13, 2021, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
Another option is getting a Delta Amex. I won’t ask what your spend levels are like but I believe you get an MQD waiver for DM only at $250k spend/year. Of course if you’re a big spender on cards this may make sense.
Thanks. Already have the card but the $250k spend will not happen.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wilco71 Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by wilco71
Hi. A friend recommended that I ask this community some advice on a Delta status issue.

I recently accepted a job that will require me to fly roughly 35 weeks per year. I have figured out that by the end of 2022 I will have enough MQMs and MQDs to earn Diamond status (I am currently Platinum). I have also figured out that by the end of 2021 I will have enough MQMS for Diamond, but will be about $5k short on MQDs. I am wondering whether there are ways, other than just purchasing first class tickets or unnecessary flights, to earn MQDs. If not do you think the extra $5k spend will be worth it to have Diamond this year instead of waiting until next year.

I appreciate any thoughts you can provide.
Will you always be flying DL?
Will you or the company be paying for the flights? [you can end up giving free cash loans to your employer]
Will a corporate travel policy limit what airline/flight/class/route you can do? (with the companies money)
Companies can have corporate travel agreement with an airline that has lower fares than retail. That can effect ff earnings,
You may be able earn ff miles from car rental-hotel-meals etc (as above Amex CC comment)
Also worth joining hotel loyalty program, if not already a member

Travelling 35 week a years can be very hard: you will/may enjoy getting back home
Old May 13, 2021, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
wilco71 Welcome to FT

Will you always be flying DL?
Will you or the company be paying for the flights? [you can end up giving free cash loans to your employer]
Will a corporate travel policy limit what airline/flight/class/route you can do? (with the companies money)
Companies can have corporate travel agreement with an airline that has lower fares than retail. That can effect ff earnings,
You may be able earn ff miles from car rental-hotel-meals etc (as above Amex CC comment)
Also worth joining hotel loyalty program, if not already a member

Travelling 35 week a years can be very hard: you will/may enjoy getting back home
Great questions. This will be all out of pocket but the salary increase covers it. It will be hard but necessary to may spouse happy (doesnt have to move).
Old May 13, 2021, 9:03 pm

Great questions. This will be all out of pocket but the salary increase covers it. It will be hard but necessary to may spouse happy (doesnt have to move).
If its all out of pockek I'd be looking to minimize travel and put as much as possible in the bank instead of chasing airline status.
bosman likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 9:15 pm

Wow. That absolutely changes the equation. Delta is not known for being the cheapest and they will quickly revert to being the most expensive on certain routes. If you don’t mind sharing the route you’re going to be flying maybe we can help more.

Also, do you plan to have an “airport car” sitting for you at the other end?

Welcome to the traveling life!
Old May 13, 2021, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Wow. That absolutely changes the equation. Delta is not known for being the cheapest and they will quickly revert to being the most expensive on certain routes. If you don’t mind sharing the route you’re going to be flying maybe we can help more.

Also, do you plan to have an “airport car” sitting for you at the other end?

Welcome to the traveling life!
Will be flying early in the week from ny to houston (occasionally to austin). Not sure what an airport car is but was planning to park a car over the weekend at the airport to drive to where I will be midweek.
Old May 13, 2021, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you have accepted a job in Texas, and you will commute from NY & live in TX all at your own cost?
Get some adice from a tax accountant on what you can claim as a tax deductible expenses (if any)
If all you own money you will not be flying one airline exclusively.

Will be flying early in the week from NY to Houston (occasionally to Austin). Not sure what an airport car is but was planning to park a car over the weekend at the airport to drive to where I will be midweek.
To me "airport car" is your car that you drive to NY airport early in the week and pick up when you return and then drive home. Will you or your employer be paying for the weeks parking fee. Or the $$ for taxi/uber from home/airport?

Similarly in Houston you or employer picking up the cost of a car(taxi-uber) in Houston?

Or all "out of pocket"

These costs can add up.
cmd320 likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 13, 2021 at 10:34 pm
Old May 14, 2021, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Will you be staying in hotels in Houston or renting some sort of apartment? I assume it will be hotel stays in Austin, but might those be reimbursed by the new employer since your job location seems to be Houston?

If you buy regular coach tickets, I don't think 35 RTs per year between NYC and Texas would earn enough MQMs at the normal rate (during 2022, for example, with the accelerator presumably ending) to maintain DM unless you do creative routings which will get annoying with this schedule, so you probably want to think about maximizing rollover. Getting a DL AmEx Plat or Reserve card and putting enough spend (DL plane tickets, hotels, etc.) on it to get some threshold MQMs will help. In addition to paying for C+ (how tall are you?) to guarantee it with an aisle or window seat, you should look for cheap deep discount FC fares. Buy tickets early to get cheap fares and space on the flights you want, and then SDC when your schedule changes--being in FC would be an advantage for this.
Old May 14, 2021, 8:17 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
We're venturing into OMNI off-topic territory, but depending on your tax situation and where in the NY area you live you might seriously consider making your residence in Texas and spending 183 days a year there, it may significantly reduce your tax obligations.
cmd320, SFO777 and safari ari like this.
Old May 14, 2021, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Beckles
We're venturing into OMNI off-topic territory, but depending on your tax situation and where in the NY area you live you might seriously consider making your residence in Texas and spending 183 days a year there, it may significantly reduce your tax obligations.
Is residence necessarily the same thing as tax home? I'm wondering whether the OP could avoid changing driver's license, etc. (since there will still be a NY address) while nevertheless getting the benefits of Texas vs NYC/NYS.
Old May 14, 2021, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Beckles
... depending on your tax situation and where in the NY area you live you might seriously consider making your residence in Texas and spending 183 days a year there, it may significantly reduce your tax obligations.
Absolutely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.