Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Effect of flight change on post-purchase upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles

Couldn’t find this after searching here, and have been on hold with Delta for two hours so far:

I used a Delta Amex Main Cabin Companion Certificate to book a round trip flight with a friend. Once we booked, I paid the extra amount to upgrade to Comfort+. Now we have the opportunity to I’ve to another flight earlier in the day (eligible main cabin fare bucket opened up.). Changing flights would require us to switch to a main cabin seat since this was a Main Cabin Companion Certificate.

My question: if I make that change, what happens to the money I paid for the C+ upgrade? Do I get an e-credit that I can apply toward a similar upgrade on the new flight, or is it just lost? The FAQ on Delta’s page says post-purchase upgrades are “non-refundable” but I’m not looking for a refund per se, so I don’t know if that applies in this situation. It also says post-purchase upgrades must be used “as ticketed” or they are forfeit but, again, I don’t know what that means when I am only changing one flight on a ticketed round trip itinerary.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You lose it. Post purchase seat selection fees are non-refundable. Changing flights voluntarily means you lose the fee.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick response.

M
Old Apr 9, 2021, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Just a follow up - I messaged them just to be safe. They said basically what was stated above, which I was prepared to accept - then, without me asking, they offered to go ahead and apply the upgrade to the earlier flight on an exception basis. So I was able to change the flights, retain both paid upgrades, and pay only a $34 difference in the primary fare. Excellent customer service.

M
DCAhome, Gabdawg, seawolf and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah per the terms you loose it, however typically DL is very flexible with the paid upgrades so you don't loose it.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:58 am

What happens if Delta cancels the flight or cuases a misconnection? I paid for an upgrade for a flight on June 11. I read Delta has only done schedule changes through June 4.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
With a Delta cancellation or schedule change, you can call and they'll preserve the paid upgrade when they rebook you. Or if you want to cancel the ticket, they'll refund the upgrade fee.
dtwtransport and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by straychicken
What happens if Delta cancels the flight or cuases a misconnection? I paid for an upgrade for a flight on June 11. I read Delta has only done schedule changes through June 4.
That is an entirely different set of facts from this thread.

As with all situations where DL either cancels or significantly changes the schedule, both DL's own contract and US law require a full refund of the ticket and any ancillary fees.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:45 am

Would Delta try to accomdate us in frist class on an alternative flight or do we automatically go back to main and get a refund?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by straychicken
Would Delta try to accomdate us in frist class on an alternative flight or do we automatically go back to main and get a refund?
Maybe.

As with any alternatives, it is always best that you do the legwork and ask for a specific reroute rather than rely on the carrier - DL in this case -- to simply reissue your tickets.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I am glad you didn't lose the upgrade, I was going to post just that, that many times Delta just gives you credit for the upgrade as they have done so for me on multiple occasions but as everyone likes to point out on this forum. YMMV
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I am glad you didn't lose the upgrade, I was going to post just that, that many times Delta just gives you credit for the upgrade as they have done so for me on multiple occasions but as everyone likes to point out on this forum. YMMV
Thanks. We got the upgrade for $59 each on on short hop (Lexington, KY to Atl) for our family of 4. I think it will be a fun way to kick off the trip. We always fly coach so its novelty for us. If the schedule changes impact us I will plan call and see if we can keep our upgrade on another flight. We would probably connect through Atlanta on any revised itinerary. I wonder when Delta will update the summer schedule?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
thanks. I think you may have been addressing me. I agree that YMMV and I was not expecting to get any concessions; I was actually really impressed when they offered something that seeed to go directly against the written policies. What made it even better was that I sat on hold for two hours last night and then another hour and a half this morning before deciding to try the messaging service at 6 AM. I got a reply within 30 minutes and a very helpful, very accommodating assistant who made it all work out for me.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.