Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Status Accelerator - 2021/2022 Skymiles Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Status Accelerator - 2021/2022 Skymiles Year

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't understand part of your math here. If you earn DM (assuming you earn enough MQDs for DM or spend $250,000 to get the AmEx waiver, assuming not a foreign address recognized by DL), you would get one PM and three DM choice benefits. If you pick redeemable miles for each choice benefit, you would get 3 X 25,000 (for DM) + 1 X 20,000 (for PM) = 95,000 RDMs.
I should have explained more; I made assumptions that someone would want upgrade certificates as their first choice, so they would pick RUCs as the Plat choice, GUCs as their first DM choice, and miles as the other two DM choices.

If someone only chose miles for all 4 choice benefits (1 PM and 3 DM) then you are absolutely correct = 95K miles
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
This promo makes me think of some of the 3x MQM and Fly through focus city promos that DL IT had issues with. My guess is this is going to be a BIG mess. Lots of incorrect numbers of MQMs and MQDs. And no Kevin Pinto (RIP) to come to our aid .
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by 8mh
I don't wanna turn this into an armchair CEO discussion but let me remark two things real quick.

One: The issuance and redemption of miles is hugely important from the finance/economics side for Delta. Perhaps even more important than elite status. I find it interesting that Delta uses this promo (which might very well turn out to be the biggest promo of all of 2021) to encourage redemptions..
The issuance of MQD/MQS/MQMs are not on the books. So that changes nothing.

The fact that this will encourage redemption vs cash ticks this year is significant. It does not really push the P/L as rewards flights do count as income (the SM liability on the books as unearned income). And not the balance sheet either for the same reason. But cash flow will certainly change with 2021 being hurt and 2022+ helped.

I would assume they know 2021 will suck by all metrics, so try to make future years look better. Not a bad idea.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by rylan
Yeah am actually surprised that DL made the first move, since they've been in the 'follower' position for a few years. I'd expect AA to something simple like a blanket 2x/3x as stated above, and UA to come up with something even more complex that they can't even decipher it. Either way, will be difficult for the competition to respond with anything lower.
Originally Posted by exwannabe
The issuance of MQD/MQS/MQMs are not on the books. So that changes nothing.

The fact that this will encourage redemption vs cash ticks this year is significant. It does not really push the P/L as rewards flights do count as income (the SM liability on the books as unearned income). And not the balance sheet either for the same reason. But cash flow will certainly change with 2021 being hurt and 2022+ helped.

I would assume they know 2021 will suck by all metrics, so try to make future years look better. Not a bad idea.
That’s only the case if Delta doesn’t experiment with awarding MQM/MQD on award tickets on a more permanent basis, which wouldn’t surprise anyone
El Boocho and ryw like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The should have retro'd it to 1/1 and in fact offered 2x to those fliers seeing they were flying when service was at it's lowest.
Not at all. Delta saw no need to incentivize travel during 1Q 2021 - everyone flying was going to do it anyway, especially given that they booked in spite of limited service offerings and a raging global pandemic.

These changes are about incentivizing new bookings for the second half of the year; making it retroactive serves no purpose whatsoever for the company.
jdrtravel, gooselee and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by exwannabe
I was thinking the same. A little big bathy, but I'd bet my ever growing MQMs horde that it was part of the calculus.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Lol looks like I'll qualify for silver with rollover and a TATL J award in December.

I don't really get what they're trying to do here. Sure it's very generous, once you work out the math, but it really feels like they've given the accountants a turn at running the marketing department.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Mar 31, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
Originally Posted by MotelRomeo
At first glance, this seems to make me want to avoid flying Delta the rest of the year. I had a job change, so I would qualify for the Reclaim My Status program the next time I need to fly a lot for work. If I go from DM down to nothing next year, I could do the status challenge at some point in 2022 when I know my travel will pick up. I have 35k MQMs from rollover, but now it looks like I should avoid flying on Delta so I don't accidentally hit FO. I guess I'll have to be judicious in using my expiring GUCs and RUCs on cheap flights.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that you won't get any rollover if you don't qualify for FO this year. Last year with all MQMs rolling over for everyone was apparently a one time exception.
Yep, that's true, but I was usually hitting DM on segments so the MQM rollover usually didn't typically factor into my status planning. I left a job that was weekly M-Th travel pre-pandemic, and my new job may have one domestic trip per month on average when travel restarts. If I want to retain any type of status this year, it's going to cost me a lot of pocket (or out of SM balance for awards), for relatively little benefit with reduced travel overall. If I time my Reclaim My Status challenge right, I could possibly take advantage of an uptick in work travel at some point in 2022 and one or two cheap partner J runs to get me back to DM for part of 2022 and all of 2023. I think these are my two options:

Go all in for this year:
2021: Burn a lot of personal money to ~maybe~ hit PM
2022: PM earned in 2021 in effect
2023: No status

Strategically use Reclaim My Status:
2021: Let DM run out
2022: No status to start, do RmS challenge at some point to get back DM
2023: DM earned in 2022 in effect
2024: No status

In my mind, I think I would get better value out of a year+ of DM than a year of PM, especially if I got two sets of choice benefits (one after the challenge for medallion year 2022, and one for medallion year 2023). I'm not sure if Reclaim My Status grants choice benefits for both years though. Regardless, I would probably be looking at higher status for less money out of pocket if I go with the latter option.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM
So, just to clarify, if I book a FC ticket, I get an extra 25% MQMs on-top of the existing 50% bonus?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eneq
So, just to clarify, if I book a FC ticket, I get an extra 25% MQMs on-top of the existing 50% bonus?
No. You get an extra 75% if its marketed AND operated by DL. Otherwise, nothing changes
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
No. You get an extra 75% if its marketed AND operated by DL. Otherwise, nothing changes
So it's 150% plus an additional 75%?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
So it's 150% plus an additional 75%?
I might be wrong, sorry. Looking into it further.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Upgrades on popular routes will be nonexistent for the rest of the year - everyone is now incentivized to buy up to first class, including using miles.
I'm sure this will encourage a few people to buy up, but not an overwhelming number beyond those who'd already buy-up. There was already the 150% bonus for ppl who care about miles, and everyone else is WFBF because they want to big fancy seat.

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
As far as MQMs go...

LGA-ATL-ANC is a little over 4,000 flown miles one way. So roundtrip is approximately 8,000 flown miles.

With the 50% bonus - this would amount to 12,000 MQMs.

And, if basic economy counts towards this promotion (it doesn’t explicitly include or exclude it, besides stating that all tickets eligible to earn MQM etc WILL count), someone could purchase that roundtrip for 11,000 SkyPesos now.

So with a little over 100K SkyMiles and the time/willingness to take 11 pointless basic economy roundtrips from NY to AK, someone could have the MQMs for Diamond (doing this roundtrip 10 times). And earn 50K SkyMiles back in Choice Benefits...
FTFY. I've never understood the point of these calculations beyond just a fun thought exercise (which, by all means go for it). But what reasonable person would actually do this? Even as a thought exercise - if this is meant to call out a weakness in the current promo, it's so much of an outlier that it's functionally irrelevant.

A quick MR or extra connection if you're *just* shy of a status level or because you've found a really cheap fare and are making a quick vacation out of it, sure. But it's quite another thing to go from zero to top-tier status based on trips planned for the sole reason of attaining that status, even within the FT ranks.
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
I might be wrong, sorry. Looking into it further.
Thanks.

You know that Delta made something too confusing when even I can't figure out what they're trying to do, and I've been into points/miles for years now.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Thanks.

You know that Delta made something too confusing when even I can't figure out what they're trying to do, and I've been into points/miles for years now.
I was confused about this upthread as well, but it *appears* to be that you get the standard 150% and then a 75% bonus based on that 150%. Definitely unclear wording though.
El Boocho and tardyturtle like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.