Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Status Accelerator - 2021/2022 Skymiles Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Status Accelerator - 2021/2022 Skymiles Year

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Upgrades on popular routes will be nonexistent for the rest of the year - everyone is now incentivized to buy up to first class, including using miles.
Agreed, now let's see if Delta continues with the FCM at a "reasonable" fare!
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
They have made this promotion far too complex for the average person - let alone frequent flyer - to understand, or make use of, as they wish.

First, how will people even hear about it? People will just hear that AC extended status another year (another North American airline) while DL ran this confusing promotion where you have to divided by 100 and multiple by 1.5 or 1.75...

They can track it for a month or two and see that it isn’t getting their requalification numbers to where they want. They should either extended or have gone with easier numbers - like 2x for economy and 3x for premium.

Anyone notice that basic economy isn’t mentioned on the page or in any of the examples? Does that mean that basic economy tickets are not part of this promotion?

If so, most of the leisure travelers flying now won’t even get to participate in this promotion, if they can even understand it.
emrdoc and wxman22 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
As someone whos new to flying and been flying C+ and First, I feel jipped but at-least I'm probably hitting diamond since my current flights put me past Gold.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ty97
I'm actually questioning myself now based on some of the wording on the page, though I'm not clear.

If someone books an F ticket on a 1000 mile flight, they would normally get 1500 MQM (1000 miles + 50% class of service bonus). Is the 75% accelerator bonus based on the 1000 or the 1500? If it's based on the 1000, my comment stands. If it's based on the 1500, the calculus changes.
That is my assumption but I am confused and will wait and see what I get. At the moment I am traveling about once a month, and started booking F since prices are what I use to pay for Y precovid.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K/MillionMiler; Delta Diamond; AA Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
For international fights, I wonder if booking partner-coded flights in J, specifically "core" partners (e.g., KL, AF, AZ, AM, etc.), is generally still more lucrative in terms of MQMs and MQDs.

With the addition of 1.5 or 1.75 times the MQMs/MQD/RDMs on DL-coded flights, it adds another layer of complexity
Sure does.

For a LAX-CDG flight in J priced at $2,500, you'd earn fewer MQDs booking with Delta with this bonus (4,375) than unbonused with AF or KLM (4,520). The inflection point is at a fare of $2,582--anything higher than that for this route and you're better off booking with DL.

I have a prior Skymiles booking for the route at 210,000 at the end of summer, which would generate 3,675 MQDs thanks to the bonus. A more typical pricing of 400,000 Skymiles would generate the most MQDs of all (7,000), but West Coast fares to Europe are pricing under $2,500 on most carriers for most of the year so that's a lot of Skymiles to burn at abysmal value.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by tardyturtle
The ranks of PM are about to get pretty crowded.
Agreed. With the rollovers, extra MQMs from AMEX, AMEX 25K waiver, and now this, PM is going to be inflated. Seems if there was ever a go for diamond year, this is it. Or just lay off and coast on DL for 2020 and hit the waiver quick in 2021. This seems about right to me. I was hoping for (though not expecting) a 50% cut across the board, but this is more than half way there.
tardyturtle likes this.

Last edited by El Boocho; Mar 31, 2021 at 10:12 am
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Assuming that nobody will have any problems with MQM based on the rollover and earn bonus from this...
So if you book J all the time then:
MQD requirement for DM effectively reduced from 15k to ~8.6k
MQD requirement for PM effectively reduced from 9k to ~5.2k

My guess is between the rollover, Amex waiver and reduced MQDs, that there will be a LOT of PMs next year.
emrdoc and tardyturtle like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I guess its good that I already have some travel for April and May booked in F.
DTWflyer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: Skyteam
Looks like no signup required?

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
At first glance, this seems to make me want to avoid flying Delta the rest of the year. I had a job change, so I would qualify for the Reclaim My Status program the next time I need to fly a lot for work. If I go from DM down to nothing next year, I could do the status challenge at some point in 2022 when I know my travel will pick up. I have 35k MQMs from rollover, but now it looks like I should avoid flying on Delta so I don't accidentally hit FO. I guess I'll have to be judicious in using my expiring GUCs and RUCs on cheap flights.

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
In your specific situation, and for the purposes of this accelerator promo, flight must begin with "DL" and operated by DL. If flight number begins with KL and operated by DL, you don't qualify for the promo.

(Edited)
Yes, it stinks for me. I can fly LAX-AMS/CDG-PRG with a dl flight number but operated by KL/AF, and my trip time is 14-17 hrs. Now my best option is LAX-SLC-CDG-PRG with a trip time of 21 hrs. I can't even use "pay with miles" on this trip, as CDG-PRG isn't operated by DL.

I might have missed it, but if I use my GUC, will I be credited with the Delta One new bonus, or will I only be credited for new Main cabin bonus? Dummy bookings still show the original amount of miles. I doubt an agent will be able to help, as it's new to them as well.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:08 am

I apologize for some dumb questions, but I'm a total newbie to the Delta program and I can't seem to get my questions answered anywhere.

With the combination of a bunch of travel on DL in the first two months of 2020 and Delta AmEx spending, I rolled over 89,000 MQMs and hit the MQD waiver in 2020. Before today's announcement I figured I'd be in that 120,000 MQM's range and hitting the AmEx MQD waiver again this year. Now with the announcement, there is a decent chance that 120,000 number pushes north quite a bit. My question is.....if I blow past the 125,000,number, (I won't hit the $250,000 DM spend waiver)....will i rollover the different in miles between whatever I end up with and 75,000 miles or 125,000 Miles? I don't want to mess this up and lose a bunch of rollover MQM's.

I won't hit the AmEx spend waiver to qualify for DM, so I assume I'll stay at PM and therefore will rollover anything north of 75,000....is this correct?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:10 am

As far as MQMs go...

LGA-ATL-ANC is a little over 4,000 flown miles one way. So roundtrip is approximately 8,000 flown miles.

With the 50% bonus - this would amount to 12,000 MQMs.

And, if basic economy counts towards this promotion (it doesn’t explicitly include or exclude it, besides stating that all tickets eligible to earn MQM etc WILL count), someone could purchase that roundtrip for 11,000 SkyPesos now.

So with a little over 100K SkyMiles, someone could have the MQMs for Diamond (doing this roundtrip 10 times). And earn 50K SkyMiles back in Choice Benefits...
emrdoc likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K/MillionMiler; Delta Diamond; AA Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bsagator
Yes, it stinks for me. I can fly LAX-AMS/CDG-PRG with a dl flight number but operated by KL/AF, and my trip time is 14-17 hrs. Now my best option is LAX-SLC-CDG-PRG with a trip time of 21 hrs. I can't even use "pay with miles" on this trip, as CDG-PRG isn't operated by DL.

I might have missed it, but if I use my GUC, will I be credited with the Delta One new bonus, or will I only be credited for new Main cabin bonus? Dummy bookings still show the original amount of miles. I doubt an agent will be able to help, as it's new to them as well.
  • Upgrade certificates: Bonuses are based on the cabin you paid for, not the cabin you are upgraded to.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by nashvike
I won't hit the AmEx spend waiver to qualify for DM, so I assume I'll stay at PM and therefore will rollover anything north of 75,000....is this correct?
Yes, correct. You need to hit both components for status. If you don’t hit both for the next level, you’re still at the previous level, and rollover the extra MQMs between the PM level and what you earned, even if you exceed 125K MQM
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.