Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NYC Winter Storm February 2021 Operational Impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC Winter Storm February 2021 Operational Impact

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Delta cancelled 230 mainline flights today. 87 already gone for tomorrow.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:30 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
DL decided to cancel my flight from LAS > JFK on the 31st, which was well before the storm even hit. Then they cancelled my replacement flight, my alternate replacement flight and snoozed yet another replacement before cancelling a leg on that. Thankfully, I worked my Vegas comps, but still...
Old Feb 1, 2021, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I have coworkers staying near PHL tonight and plan on driving to EWR area tomorrow morning and I am thinking they are crazy.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes they are. People from around Philly don't know how to drive in the snow and there aren't a lot of plows and salt spreaders in the area either.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME there have been some bad DM line waits within about the last six months. IIRC the worst was about forty minutes for me.
This is spot on. It's been awful for quite a while now with waits (todays weather issues aside). I don't remember the last time I called the Diamond line and got right through to an agent; w/ UA & AA, I don't remember the last time I had to wait at all during the same period.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If the wait times are 30 to 40 minutes for a DM I'd hate to have a lower or no status at all.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I called yesterday, probably first time since the pandemic started since I haven't been flying, about using an RUC and inventory (I wish Delta would allow you to look at inventory online and apply them without calling them).

I was told the hold time was about 40 minutes so went with the call back option and it was probably about 25 minutes later I got the callback. I had to wait a couple minutes then to talk to a human but have to say it was one of the best reps I ever talked to. Very nice and eifficient and knowledgeable on RUC's
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If the wait times are 30 to 40 minutes for a DM I'd hate to have a lower or no status at all.
I'll just re-up again my suggestion that people use the iMessage/texting option. I just texted because when they applied RUCs the other day they only applied to my reservation not my wife's (booked on separate PNRs last year to trigger AMEX credit). Was quoted a 10-15 minute wait, but was connected with an agent in under 30 seconds who confirmed my account and applied the RUC in under 3 minutes (and it's showing on my wife's reservation so I can select her seat). Bonus that the agent the other day and today went to bat for me and applied my 2019/2020 RUCs instead of having to select and open up new 2020/2021 RUCs (without me even asking, I was prepared to use the 2020/2021 but they proactively went about using my old ones since they had previously been applied and cleared for a since canceled trip).
Old Feb 2, 2021, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder whether part of the long wait time is caused by people being forced to HUCA when DL phone agents are either wrong or don't know how to do something, such as a SDC or applying GUCs/RUCs. IMO DL made a big mistake in eliminating the elite group of highly skilled and experienced agents who served the special DM line. Similarly, the Chisholm call center's very positive effect seems to have been diluted.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes they are. People from around Philly don't know how to drive in the snow and there aren't a lot of plows and salt spreaders in the area either.
They made it and it "wasn't as bad as expected."
Old Feb 2, 2021, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
I called the PM line this morning to book something that couldn't be booked online (pet-in-cabin travel). Shortly after calling I remembered the IROPS situation in the NE and braced myself for an extremely long wait time. To my surprise I was quoted an 8 minute wait time and given the option for a call back or to wait. I elected to just wait on hold and a very knowledgeable agent answered in just under 10 minutes.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 10:24 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
On 1/31 (Sunday the estimated wait time was 20 min. (Got through in 15), had their seat selection system been working efficiently I would not have had to call: due to cancellation for my flt. To JFK, I changed my flt. To 2/3 and wanted to choose C+ (for free), I was allowed to select my C+ seat but after saving my selection I was still in MC.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 10:49 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Lots of flt. cancellations on my las-jfk itn

I was booked on 325 las-jfk dep. 1:15 pm (on Sun. 1/31) arrival around 9 pm (prior to the start of the storm), but it was cancelled; I was rebooked on a midnight flight which would arrive at a peak point for heavy snow, a few hours later that flt was cancelled, I was rebooked the next day on a flt which would also arrive in a period of heavy snow—I didn’t wait for DL to also cancel that one, and chose 325 on 2/3 (Wed).
[325 ran as scheduled on 2/2 arid arrived on time].

I don’t know why my orig. flt was cancelled, but I’m even more perplexed that they thought the substitutes had any chance of operating.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by nrr
... I don’t know why my orig. flt was cancelled, but I’m even more perplexed that they thought the substitutes had any chance of operating.
DL Scheduling is at the forefront of implementing AI into their IT ...

... but they seem to have forgotten the need for some human input :/
Old Feb 3, 2021, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by MonAmQB
The way the thread title is written had me initially think the snowstorm lasts from Feb. 1 to Feb. 21
Now the thread title does say storm the whole month!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.