Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico Fares

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I've recently been on four flights to/from MEX and they've all been sold out. Today there were a bunch of Australians and Brazilians on the flight for some reason coming from LAX. Tourism is really picking up.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Very recently Delta added daily nonstop flights from JFK to SJD (Cabo). They had dropped this route last year, and in prior winters offered nonstop service a couple of days a week. I moved from flights through ATL for these flights, and am hoping they don't get cancelled as they are largely empty Christmas week. There won't be many options in First if Delta decides flying this route last minute without advertising wasn't a good idea. On pricing, in July first class was $1500 a person, now it is $3000, which is what it was the last few winters for this week.

Last edited by Fontaine; Oct 23, 2020 at 12:47 pm
Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fontaine
Very recently Delta added daily nonstop flights from JFK to SJD (Cabo). They had dropped this route last year, and in prior winters offered nonstop service a couple of days a week. I moved from flights through ATL for these flights, and am hoping they don't get cancelled as they are largely empty Christmas week. There won't be many options in First if Delta decides flying this route last minute without advertising wasn't a good idea. On pricing, in July first class was $1500 a person, now it is $3000, which is what it was the last few winters for this week.
There's only J bucket currently open for return flights on Jan 1-3 (Fri-Sun). Adjusting flights by a few days yields much lower pricing ($1655 for 12/24 - 12/31) due to availability in lower FC fare buckets. Despite seatmaps being mostly open, a couple of these are currently J1 and J2 (suggesting flights may already be mostly booked without seats being chosen). AA looks to have better availability on return flights (particularly on 1/1).
Fontaine likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 23, 2020 at 2:29 pm
Old Oct 23, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
I must be on the opposite end of the stick here, but I just got one of the best deals from Mexico City to Atlanta on Skymiles ever and this is usually a brutally expensive route as actually its the most trafficked international route from Hartsfield that is monopolized. These 2 cities also happen to be where I live and where I grew up .... Usually an international route with 500k+ passengers a year has 3 or 4 options, but nope not in Atlanta lol.

Its 22k skymiles RT coming from Mexico and 27k and up going TO Mexico. This route is usually 35-40k Skymiles roundtrip in Basic Ec AT BEST (usually more)! What even super weird is they are giving a good deal to ATL, usually its the otherway around where if you fly THROUGH ATL they give you the best deals, for example i've seen 9k skymiles once Mexico city to jacksonville via ATL, same flight MEX to ATL 40k skymiles one way (not exaggerating). Even better when flying RT FROM Mex avoid tourist tax, comes out to about 1.5c skymile in ecomomy and 2c skymile in J, not mindblowingly good but still solid for Y redemption that actually works.

Even if you don't live in Atlanta you could pair this up with a cheap domestic flight. Also I can assure you there is no flood of people arriving to Mexico i've been to tourist towns on both coasts since Covid everything is at 20-30% capacity of normal traffic. Few people are traveling now, esp international. We FTers are just weirdos

p.s. PVR is always a pricy airport to fly into Delta maintains a strong hold there. Covid hasn't changed that. You could fly to GDL instead much cheaper spend a day or two there, or take a shuttle its about 2-3 hours to PVR via shuttle. Or fly to MEX and transfer. If you really budget conscieous fly to MEX or CUN and then book a seperate ticket to PVR with any domestic Mexican airline, unlike international ticket, domestic tickets to PVR from just about anywhere are cheap as dirt, you'll spend more on the uber then the plane ticket. Consider if worth it though, gotta manually recheck your bags etc

Last edited by PointsPanda; Oct 23, 2020 at 4:09 pm
Old Oct 23, 2020, 4:20 pm

Today my Thanksgiving trip dropped dramatically . Rebooked for a return in First Class on a wide body (we will see if that occurs) for a savings of over $200 over my round trip coach fare a few weeks ago.
bsagator likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by PointsPanda
I must be on the opposite end of the stick here, but I just got one of the best deals from Mexico City to Atlanta on Skymiles ever and this is usually a brutally expensive route as actually its the most trafficked international route from Hartsfield that is monopolized. These 2 cities also happen to be where I live and where I grew up .... Usually an international route with 500k+ passengers a year has 3 or 4 options, but nope not in Atlanta lol.

Its 22k skymiles RT coming from Mexico and 27k and up going TO Mexico. This route is usually 35-40k Skymiles roundtrip in Basic Ec AT BEST (usually more)!

There seems to be occasional super cheap sales to MEX. Summer 2019 I flew SFO-MEX (LAX connection) for 28K miles RT in first class.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
There seems to be occasional super cheap sales to MEX. Summer 2019 I flew SFO-MEX (LAX connection) for 28K miles RT in first class.
Thats not that surprising, 6-7 different airlines fly LAX MEX (not a typo) and 3-4 airlines depending on the season fly SFO-MEX, however, seeing ATL-MEX for that price was surprsing.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by steveholt
Flying on Thanksgiving itself (which is what it sounds like you're doing) is always dirt cheap.
My LAX-CUN rt flight in Y on TG is $550 rt...returning on Tuesday.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Just throwing an idea out. I remain very confident that many of these tickets will be cancelled and people will be home over the holidays. The chickens are coming home to roost for everyone who ignored the reality of the virus.
No, not really. I just got back from Cabo yesterday. I went the first time over the July 4th weekend. Its night and day difference. Cabo was a ghost town in July. The airport was only operating out of one terminal, and pretty much everything closed early. Now, the airport is jam packed with both terminals open, and there were just as many people coming on Sunday as there were people leaving. This couple I met at the pool said they decided last minute to go, and their tickets were $1k each in Y on AA from DFW. They said there wasn't an empty seat on the airplane. This is the view from The Cape hotel on Saturday.
Fontaine and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:22 pm

Dup delete

Last edited by bsagator; Oct 26, 2020 at 8:23 pm Reason: Dup
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Today my Thanksgiving trip dropped dramatically . Rebooked for a return in First Class on a wide body (we will see if that occurs) for a savings of over $200 over my round trip coach fare a few weeks ago.
Lucky. Mine went up $100 rt in Y.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bsagator
No, not really. I just got back from Cabo yesterday. I went the first time over the July 4th weekend. Its night and day difference. Cabo was a ghost town in July. The airport was only operating out of one terminal, and pretty much everything closed early. Now, the airport is jam packed with both terminals open, and there were just as many people coming on Sunday as there were people leaving. This couple I met at the pool said they decided last minute to go, and their tickets were $1k each in Y on AA from DFW. They said there wasn't an empty seat on the airplane. This is the view from The Cape hotel on Saturday.
That definitely looks better than the hotel that I am currently at in SJD.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Today Delta canceled the nonstop between JFK to Cabo.

We booked the original flights (in First) in June, paid $1500 each to move to nonstop. Delta moved us back to our original flights, but one leg is now not available in First. A bit hard for me to complain, considering.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today Delta canceled the nonstop between JFK to Cabo.

We booked the original flights (in First) in June, paid $1500 each to move to nonstop. Delta moved us back to our original flights, but one leg is now not available in First. A bit hard for me to complain, considering.
Not entirely cancelled, just switched to Saturday only service. Looks like flights on the 26th and 2nd are sold out.
Fontaine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.