Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Georgia Court Says Man Owes Delta Air Lines $1M

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

https://tampa.cbslocal.com/2020/10/3...jan-27-2021-5/

"A dual Ukrainian and American citizen agrees to pay Delta Airlines $1,000,000 in restitution by January 27, 2021 after pleading guilty to his role in trafficking computer passwords associated with Delta Air Lines SkyBonus accounts."
Xeno likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
If I were him I'd be asking my attorney about delay tactics or asking Delta if he could donate it to a charity. You may as well literally set the money on fire the way Delta is burning through cash. No sense in throwing good money after bad.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
If I were him I'd be asking my attorney about delay tactics or asking Delta if he could donate it to a charity. You may as well literally set the money on fire the way Delta is burning through cash. No sense in throwing good money after bad.
Wait, what? This person fraudulently acquired SkyBonus points and agreed to a deal for restitution. Are you suggesting it not be paid because all airlines are hemorrhaging money due to a massive drop in revenue from COVID?
writerguyfl and awayIgo like this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
For Delta every million of income is a million reduction in loss. No airline is making money right now, and Delta is trying to do the best it can. Any airline is trying to tie themselves over until passengers return, and a million extra income certainly should be very welcome.
WidgetsOfTheSkies likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by davedeboston
Wait, what? This person fraudulently acquired SkyBonus points and agreed to a deal for restitution. Are you suggesting it not be paid because all airlines are hemorrhaging money due to a massive drop in revenue from COVID?
There may not be a Delta Air Lines in a few more months. It's expected a major airline will disappear if another lockdown is mandated. Chances are it will be an installment plan like most restitutions are setup. A million dollars to Delta is like you or me finding a penny on the ground. Asking if it could be donated to a charity does far more good and ensures he will still have to pay up even if Delta is forced into liquidation.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:51 pm

There may not be a Delta Air Lines in a few more months. It's expected a major airline will disappear if another lockdown is mandated. Chances are it will be an installment plan like most restitutions are setup. A million dollars to Delta is like you or me finding a penny on the ground. Asking if it could be donated to a charity does far more good and ensures he will still have to pay up even if Delta is forced into liquidation.
Hmmm, that’s certainly one way of thinking about this.
Given the precarious finances of most airlines right now, it’s far more likely that Delta intends to collect on this restitution.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
And if that does happen (one of the majors liquidating), what makes you think it would be DL? As of the Q3 earnings reports, DL has the lowest cash burn per day ($24 million) in the third quarter and was down to $18 million per day at the end of September. UA's cash average cash burn was $25 million per day and was down to $21 million per day at the end of Q3. And AA's average cash burn rate for Q3 was $44 million and AA is "hoping" its cash burn rate in Q4 will only be $25-$30 million per day.

DL:
https://ir.delta.com/news/news-detai...s/default.aspx

AA:
Newsroom - American Airlines Reports Third-Quarter 2020 Financial Results - American Airlines Group, Inc.

UA:
https://hub.united.com/2020-10-14-as...648210545.html
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
https://tampa.cbslocal.com/2020/10/3...jan-27-2021-5/

"A dual Ukrainian and American citizen agrees to pay Delta Airlines $1,000,000 in restitution by January 27, 2021 after pleading guilty to his role in trafficking computer passwords associated with Delta Air Lines SkyBonus accounts."
Wow! He had pay them back. He still have owes $1 million dollar to Delta. This is not good! Pay them back!
Old Oct 31, 2020, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's absurd.

It is a judgment in DL's favor and the guy owes DL the money just as if he purchased a ticket. The possibility that DL may fail is irrelevant. In fact, if the guy owes DL and DL becomes insolvent, it will fall to the trustee in bankruptcy to chase anyone owing DL.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
And if that does happen (one of the majors liquidating), what makes you think it would be DL? As of the Q3 earnings reports, DL has the lowest cash burn per day ($24 million) in the third quarter and was down to $18 million per day at the end of September. UA's cash average cash burn was $25 million per day and was down to $21 million per day at the end of Q3. And AA's average cash burn rate for Q3 was $44 million and AA is "hoping" its cash burn rate in Q4 will only be $25-$30 million per day.

DL:
https://ir.delta.com/news/news-detai...s/default.aspx

AA:
Newsroom - American Airlines Reports Third-Quarter 2020 Financial Results - American Airlines Group, Inc.

UA:
https://hub.united.com/2020-10-14-as...648210545.html
Like elections, it's not always the one with the most money that succeeds.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Like elections, it's not always the one with the most money that succeeds.
But unlike an election where money is one means to an end and not the end-goal, in business the money is the end-goal. What's your basis of thinking DL is in the worst position of the Big 3 (or if including it, and WN)?
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA

must be nice to live in your world. LOL
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
The judgement counts as an asset, so even if Delta goes bankrupt, it will still be collected to repay creditors. I think readywhenyouare is just trolling to provoke responses. Does he work for flyertalk or have some other financial connection?
Old Oct 31, 2020, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely surprised at the direction this thread went
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
But unlike an election where money is one means to an end and not the end-goal, in business the money is the end-goal. What's your basis of thinking DL is in the worst position of the Big 3 (or if including it, and WN)?
I never made any claims about them being worst. WN is definitely in the strongest position though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.