Mexico Fares

Old Sep 26, 20, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM | EY G | EK G | UA G
Mexico Fares

Dec 26 - Jan 2, PVR SLC $2000 in Y? Similarly, UA EWR-PVR is 5500 in J. Never seen these routes more than $700 🤦🏼‍♂️
Old Sep 27, 20, 6:35 am

Presuming you mean SLC-PVR roundtrip (and not the other way around). These are already enormously popular travel days due to many people getting the week between Christmas and New Years off and wanting to spend Christmas day at home. This year, they also fall on a Saturday which is another big travel day as that is when many weekly rentals turn over. Couple that with the fact that DL is still middle-seat blocking coach seats for these flights (they are X'ed out) and this is hardly surprising. Outbound flight 1856 on 12/26 is less of an issue than the return flight as it is currently Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q7. Return flight on 1/2 is main problem and is now completely full in coach/C+ and only has 3 seats left in F (J3 D3 I1). There's an option for around $800 for mid-week travel (K outbound, L return) from 12/23 - 12/29 as these are less popular travel dates.
Old Sep 27, 20, 3:35 pm

That's nothing - yesterday I saw Seattle - SantaAna roundtrip for $2000 in economy over thanksgiving.

The fares have been truly astronomical over holidays.
hurnik likes this.
Old Sep 27, 20, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
supply (low) and demand (high.)

simple economics
Old Sep 30, 20, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by nachosdelux View Post
supply (low) and demand (high.)

simple economics
Doubt anyone would actually book these fares and the unsold seats will just go to DL staff flying standby as usual...
Old Sep 30, 20, 11:55 am

Does anyone anticipate that Delta and other airlines might add fleet due to the demand and prices may go down again? About two weeks ago a return flight on 1/2 I was looking into from CUN to JFK was only $99, now it is $400. That is a crazy price jump.
The cheapest airline now is Frontier and I've been holding off hoping Delta might lower their price, because Frontier has such bad reviews in terms of their delays, seating, and sketchy refund/cancellation policy. However, it is only $85. Wondering if I should just book the Frontier ticket.
Old Sep 30, 20, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Seat blocking has mucked up with Delta's revenue management. Flight prices are wonky because of it. Imagine that 30% of the cabin was booked for high-demand dates back in August before they extended the seat blocking. Now all the sudden the cabin is 60%+ full (relative to capacity) three months out. Delta's revenue algorithms scream by default that "holy cow, demand is off the charts" and restrict fare buckets.

I've seen Delta cleaning up the routes up one by one month by month.

If they were really demanding these types of fares, they'd add more capacity. Lord knows they have the spares.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 30, 20, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
Now all the sudden the cabin is 60%+ full (relative to capacity) three months out. Delta's revenue algorithms scream by default that "holy cow, demand is off the charts" and restrict fare buckets.
Exactly and this is why you still need people in RM because even state of the art RM systems have limitations and they aren't going to know that drastic LF increases are the result of seat blocking, not natural demand
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 30, 20, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SmileyFace View Post
Does anyone anticipate that Delta and other airlines might add fleet due to the demand and prices may go down again? About two weeks ago a return flight on 1/2 I was looking into from CUN to JFK was only $99, now it is $400. That is a crazy price jump.
The cheapest airline now is Frontier and I've been holding off hoping Delta might lower their price, because Frontier has such bad reviews in terms of their delays, seating, and sketchy refund/cancellation policy. However, it is only $85. Wondering if I should just book the Frontier ticket.
It's not necessarily cheap to return a parked aircraft to service for a couple days. What DL might be able to do would be to add frequency using current aircraft that are now being underutilized, but with aircraft scheduling/planning optimization, there won't be much slack here. Remember too that most DL employees would get good overtime pay for holiday work, which further adds to the cost of offering additional seats, although I'm sure many employees would appreciate the additional hours with extra pay.

DL could also reduce frequency on some international routes around holiday periods--as DL has been doing increasingly in recent years--but again this is limited and would provide only a couple wide body aircraft to add to popular domestic routes. However, these aircraft were designed to be efficient on longer routes, so they could work well for transcons but not shorter routes. I don't know how many domestic airports that didn't have international service before COVID-19 can handle these big birds.
Old Sep 30, 20, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by p100a View Post
Dec 26 - Jan 2, PVR SLC $2000 in Y? Similarly, UA EWR-PVR is 5500 in J. Never seen these routes more than $700 🤦🏼‍♂️
Yeah, ALB to SJD on DL in F (12/12-12/19) = $4,000!!!
AA in F (same dates) is only about $1,100
Even UA is about $1,350
Old Sep 30, 20, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hurnik View Post
Yeah, ALB to SJD on DL in F (12/12-12/19) = $4,000!!!
DL will never sell that; they can't even sell Delta One for under $2K
hurnik and cmd320 like this.
Old Oct 1, 20, 1:30 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Not only have the prices gone up but the routes have gotten worse. My wife and I travel(ed) to Mexico once or twice a year. What used to be one-stop itineraries are now two stops meaning the whole day is consumed by travel.
Old Oct 1, 20, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DrMaturin View Post
Not only have the prices gone up but the routes have gotten worse. My wife and I travel(ed) to Mexico once or twice a year. What used to be one-stop itineraries are now two stops meaning the whole day is consumed by travel.
AA at least has pricing figured out. I love on AA getting offered two stop, overnight routings taking 20 hours to go from FL (non Orlando/Miami) to TX. However they at least have pricing figured out for most part. If I'm going to waste a whole day (or night) on travel I'm not paying the fares DL system thinks I should.
Old Oct 2, 20, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
AA at least has pricing figured out. I love on AA getting offered two stop, overnight routings taking 20 hours to go from FL (non Orlando/Miami) to TX. However they at least have pricing figured out for most part. If I'm going to waste a whole day (or night) on travel I'm not paying the fares DL system thinks I should.
Isn't 20 hours about how long it would take to drive from someplace in Florida to someplace in Texas if you pick the someplaces right? If you don't save time, COVID-19 could cause a lot of people to decide to drive rather than fly.
Old Oct 2, 20, 10:07 am

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Meanwhile, I just paid $300 for a one-way DCA-JFK-CUN on Thanksgiving .... In First on a A330.
PVR has always been expensive on Delta. I go every year and it is often my one annual flight not on Delta.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: