Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Should Delta Introduce a Diamond Lifetime Tier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I've always wondered why DL won't offer a LTD tier while UA offer a LT top-tier status. With the pandemic, maybe this is an opportunity to give people another reason to foster even longer term loyalty? What do you guys think? Maybe LTD status can start at 5 or 6 million miles?

Last edited by lsquare; Jul 23, 2020 at 6:25 pm
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well, remember that DL has no 'lifetime' status... they call it annual complimentary silver/gold/plat at 1M/2M/4M.

If they ever did something for a DM level, I think it would be at 6M or 8M based on the above progression. Not sure if there are any 8M milers... but even 6M would be a very small select group.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lsquare
Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I've always wondered why DL won't offer a LTD tier while UA offer a LT top-tier status. With the pandemic, maybe this is an opportunity to give people another reason to foster even longer term loyalty? What do you guys think? Maybe LTD status can start at 5 or 6 million miles?
UA makes it harder to earn LT anything. They dont count all the bonuses (class of service, etc) that DL does.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lsquare
Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I've always wondered why DL won't offer a LTD tier while UA offer a LT top-tier status.
DL's "annual complimentary" status is practically a lifetime status for now. I believe the decision not to offer LT top-tier or similar is to limit the size of the club.

Originally Posted by rylan
Well, remember that DL has no 'lifetime' status... they call it annual complimentary silver/gold/plat at 1M/2M/4M.

If they ever did something for a DM level, I think it would be at 6M or 8M based on the above progression. Not sure if there are any 8M milers... but even 6M would be a very small select group.
Seriously, if this is what DL would offer, I would rather fly UA for 4MM to have GS instead (Note - GS is equivalent to Delta 360 but better).

Originally Posted by flyerCO
UA makes it harder to earn LT anything. They dont count all the bonuses (class of service, etc) that DL does.
That's why UA LT status starts at Gold level, which is equivalent to AA PLT and DL GM.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL counts all EQMs, including miles from Skyteam partner flights and credit card bonuses.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Yep. And that has been repeated here for 15+ years. Clearly it gives them a way out but they could have done that regardless. And they clearly haven't even hinted at anything to ever change it. Never, say never, of course , but crazy unlikely.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Lifetime (or as DL calls it "complimentary") status is a tricky one. It certainly is a nice reward for great customers, but it also can backfire on the company. "Oh, I hit lifetime xxx status on yyy, now I'm going to use zzz's product". Not to mention it swells the ranks at the top.

I like lifetime statuses, but I think holding back the top tier status for those who actually earn it every year is a good idea. Discourages those who are marginal from spreading their business around to make status in other programs and gives them something to strive for. Now, if I were at like 8MM, I'd likely feel differently.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would have to think that even with including bonuses etc, there are very few in the 4MM category eligible for the plat status.

At that point to get >4MM you'll likely be getting close to retirement or not flying as much, so the status becomes something to be used for leisure travel. More than likely that those pax with >4MM have been DM for years or 360 as well.
However, it may bea bit of a disappointment if somebody is up in the 6MM+ range and they retire that they get dropped to PM from their DM/360 and probably 30+ years flying on DL.
indufan and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In reality "Lifetime" really only means the "Lifetime" of the program. Not the participant.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
With Delta extending PM status for a year, I now effectively have PM status through January, 2024 and I have 2.5 years tp get 52k more MQMs to reach PM status through my 70th birthday in January, 2025. If I want to fly after that I think I'll just buy the class that I want and not worry about upgrades or certificates.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
To me, Delta has signaled in many ways that they have no intention of having DMs except for those who earn it flying. They raised the Amex waiver to $250,000 in spend, and only offer Platinum to the Centurion cardholders. Even if you are 1K / EXP with the competition and want a status challenge you can't get DM as a match.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
To me, the MM program is a great disappointment of Delta. I got a Tumi piece of luggage at 2 MM. I get no other benefit. Why bust my ... to 4 MM? I am not going to anyway but that isn't the point. I recognize I am 99% loyal and that is what they are after but what about someone that is 70% loyal? Mainly, I would like a kick start to status (only have to make the balance). I know hotel statuses are a different beast but I don't know that my lifetime diamond status at Hilton is killing them. If the status were 3 MM to PM and 4 MM to DM I might bust my ... more.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by indufan
If the status were 3 MM to PM and 4 MM to DM I might bust my ... more.
Still, it is a disadvantage already. DL MM status starts from Silver (FO), the entry level. Yet, UA starts at Gold, the lower mid-level.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
DL counts all EQMs, including miles from Skyteam partner flights and credit card bonuses.
Doesn't UA count *A partner flights as well?
Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I would have to think that even with including bonuses etc, there are very few in the 4MM category eligible for the plat status.

At that point to get >4MM you'll likely be getting close to retirement or not flying as much, so the status becomes something to be used for leisure travel. More than likely that those pax with >4MM have been DM for years or 360 as well.
However, it may bea bit of a disappointment if somebody is up in the 6MM+ range and they retire that they get dropped to PM from their DM/360 and probably 30+ years flying on DL.
I think that's why DL should offer another tier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.