Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Should I fly this ticket / great rate / during COVID-19? (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I fly this ticket / great rate / during COVID-19? (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by mot29
I'm flying to SEA 9/9-20 and had booked an award ticket for 30,500 miles +$11.20. Went straight into C+ when booked a few weeks ago.
I usually check things out as a flight gets closer and was surprised to find my itin available to book in V for $267.20 all in. Since I'm sitting on some ECVs and some RUCs I called to see if it would work out to use them. And it did - 3 or 4 legs the RUC cleared on booking and the 4th is the 1 hour flight DTW-DCA.
At this price, the paid ticket is cheaper than the award ticket; I know that FC service is basically non-existent, but getting the FC seat for the SEA-DTW red-eye makes it worthwhile for me.
Airlines are desperate for cash now. Last week AA was selling JFK LAX/SFO for $75 one-way in regular economy, not basic. Have seen Delta selling tickets for as little as $45 on routes like ORD MSP when they never went that low before.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by mot29
I'm flying to SEA 9/9-20 and had booked an award ticket for 30,500 miles +$11.20. Went straight into C+ when booked a few weeks ago.
I usually check things out as a flight gets closer and was surprised to find my itin available to book in V for $267.20 all in. Since I'm sitting on some ECVs and some RUCs I called to see if it would work out to use them. And it did - 3 or 4 legs the RUC cleared on booking and the 4th is the 1 hour flight DTW-DCA.
At this price, the paid ticket is cheaper than the award ticket; I know that FC service is basically non-existent, but getting the FC seat for the SEA-DTW red-eye makes it worthwhile for me.
I’ve seen some surprisingly low fares in certain markets now and then. Some weeks ago LAS-BOS sept travel was $150 RT, and the one way was $75. And it was regular economy
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fly747first
Airlines are desperate for cash now. Last week AA was selling JFK LAX/SFO for $75 one-way in regular economy, not basic. Have seen Delta selling tickets for as little as $45 on routes like ORD MSP when they never went that low before.
IIRC Illinois has some travel restrictions (quarantine?) that apply to some nearby states. MN and WI had been on IL's bad list when I last checked.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 31, 2020 at 8:58 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I’ve seen some surprisingly low fares in certain markets now and then. Some weeks ago LAS-BOS sept travel was $150 RT, and the one way was $75. And it was regular economy
I got $459 for ATL-LAX-ATL (Main) and didn't complain. Of course, the return is on one of the last domestic 777 flights so I'm sure I could find better if I really tried.
DCAhome likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC Illinois has some travel restrictions (quarantine?) that apply to some nearby states. MN and WI has been on IL's bad list when I last checked.
FL is just as bad and yet Spirit is filling their planes; DL too though they appear emptier because DL is blocking middle seats and capping F to 50%
Old Sep 1, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
My colleague flew EWR-FLL for $19 eachway in regular econ on UA AND got upgraded as a silver.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Everyone knows there is a pandemic going on and the number of people flying is way down, right?
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Everyone knows there is a pandemic going on and the number of people flying is way down, right?
I've decided that arguing about this with some people is a waste of time. (Personally I've been staying put, although admittedly it's hard and sucks to not have flown in months)

If you need/want to fly, there are really good deals to be had out there though.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Yes, however capacity is also way down now so pricing generally isn’t what it was back in April. Those $19 fares were a dime a dozen a few months ago but now with the schedules significantly reduced most prices are generally what they were before.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by ab2013
I've decided that arguing about this with some people is a waste of time. (Personally I've been staying put, although admittedly it's hard and sucks to not have flown in months)

If you need/want to fly, there are really good deals to be had out there though.
I'm not even arguing about that. I'm just saying travel is way down and business travel is next to nothing. It isn't surprising to find bargains, especially on a business heavy route.
Originally Posted by cmd320
Yes, however capacity is also way down now so pricing generally isn’t what it was back in April. Those $19 fares were a dime a dozen a few months ago but now with the schedules significantly reduced most prices are generally what they were before.
While prices may have come back up some, they are not what they were before. Not even close.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While prices may have come back up some, they are not what they were before. Not even close.
Highly disagree but then again it’s very dependent on the route, cabin, etc. F has been significantly higher than usual lately due to the amount of seats blocked.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I grabbed one of those cheapies... and then DL whacked the direct flights, so I had them route me through JFK with lay flat 'D1' service, and return through ATL on 764 reburb suites. Got upgraded on all segments.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:43 am

Highly disagree but then again it’s very dependent on the route, cabin, etc. F has been significantly higher than usual lately due to the amount of seats blocked.
There is hardly a major city in the country that I can't fly to for less than $100 o/w with one weeks advance purchase right now.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is hardly a major city in the country that I can't fly to for less than $100 o/w with one weeks advance purchase right now.
In what, basic Y on F9? That has been true for a long time.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 9:04 am

In what, basic Y on F9? That has been true for a long time.
Nope. All on either UA, AA, or DL. Often in basic Y, although all the fares on UA seem to be regular Y. This has almost never been true on these airlines. There is a reason they are losing tens of millions of dollars per day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.