FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Should I fly this ticket / great rate / during COVID-19? (General Discussion) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2014504-should-i-fly-ticket-great-rate-during-covid-19-general-discussion.html)

mrnewton Mar 27, 2020 6:46 pm

Should I fly this ticket / great rate / during COVID-19? (General Discussion)

Although I would not attempt this trip under cuurent circumstances, I was curious as what would happen if as a lowly FO, 1MM, I attempted to book JFK-SFO for 3/28 (same-day return), the day before (3/27). Delta.com returned "upgrade available" for both Comfort and Delta One for under $400. I thought I would never see this in my lifetime.

sydneyracquelle Mar 27, 2020 8:07 pm

Go to the gate and you would probably get the upgrade for free.

pgh234 Mar 27, 2020 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 32240042)
Go to the gate and you would probably get the upgrade for free.

I believe the free upgrade was available for a "main cabin" round-trip ticket that was under $400.

Keeping in mind you are only going to get water and a snack box.

BHammy Mar 27, 2020 10:12 pm

I had booked a 4 corners trip to MCO:
CHA-ATL-JFK-LAX-SEA-SLC-MCO, then MCO-ATL-CHA return....for $500.

JFK-LAX had 30 D1 seats available, all other flights had 15+ FC seats available sans SLC-MCO with only 7.
Most likely I would have been upgraded on all legs (SLC-MCO was the wildcard)

But after hearing about getting 5 boxed meals and only water, I pocketed that trip for a direct (via ATL) to MCO.

nrr Mar 27, 2020 10:41 pm

[QUOTE=pgh234;32240045]I believe the free upgrade was available for a "main cabin" round-trip ticket that was under $400.

Keeping in mind you are only going to get water and a snack box.[/QUOTE
Pre-virus for domestic flts. in d1 and "regular" fc on DL as well as on AA--IMHO the cheese and fruit plate is a better option than their "normal" meals.

Graciecatt Mar 27, 2020 10:43 pm

Delta One LAX-BOS - worth it for $548?

I'm targeting DL 1032 LAX-BOS overnight flight. It's a 757-200 and the seating chart is definitely Delta One for $548. Is this a good deal? Would it basically be like paying $548 to sleep? I've heard great things about Delta One - would I miss a lot if I slept the whole time?

flyerCO Mar 27, 2020 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Graciecatt (Post 32240283)
I'm targeting DL 1032 LAX-BOS overnight flight. It's a 757-200 and the seating chart is definitely Delta One for $548. Is this a good deal? Would it basically be like paying $548 to sleep? I've heard great things about Delta One - would I miss a lot if I slept the whole time?

Only the dinner service would be missed if slept. (Assuming this is far enough out that meal/drink service is back)

If this is within say next month or two, just stick with main cabin. You'll have a row to yourself.

Graciecatt Mar 28, 2020 12:13 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 32240336)
Only the dinner service would be missed if slept. (Assuming this is far enough out that meal/drink service is back)

If this is within say next month or two, just stick with main cabin. You'll have a row to yourself.

thank you. I'm planning 6/16 and hoping for the best. I'll stick with main cabin - I hadn't thought of the row to myself part.

AANYC1981 Mar 28, 2020 4:00 am

Yes stick to main cabin and read up on DLs inflight service changes....they’ve made FC so bad I don’t see why anyone would be paying for it in the foreseeable future.

spamkiller Mar 28, 2020 4:53 pm

It might be worth it for the extra MQM and Skybonus points.

Zorak Mar 28, 2020 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234 (Post 32240045)
I believe the free upgrade was available for a "main cabin" round-trip ticket that was under $400.

Keeping in mind you are only going to get water and a snack box.

That's my interpretation too -- that OP meant that "Upgrade Available" was the indication in the eligibility column (hence you would be upgraded as soon as you completed the purchase, more or less, barring any lag/glitches that occur from time to time), not the amount of an FCM offer.

NOLAnwGOLD Mar 28, 2020 7:17 pm

Not a bad price, would include SkyClub access, which LAX is still open I believe. Would be more comfy in D1 but depends on the economy fare vs D1 spread, and how much that money is worth to you. If it was $100 extra each way, I'd do it, but that's my price point.

LoganFlyer Mar 28, 2020 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 32240725)
Yes stick to main cabin and read up on DLs inflight service changes....they’ve made FC so bad I don’t see why anyone would be paying for it in the foreseeable future.

Even with the almost complete lack of service, you're still getting a better seat, especially in this case, where it's a lie-flat D1 seat vs a coach seat on a red-eye flight. I agree it's not worth as much it would be with the better service, but it's worth more than $0.

Graciecatt Mar 29, 2020 9:11 am

Today it's down to $506. Main Cabin (V) $120.80, Comfort+ (S) $203.59, and D1 (Z) $506.84. Sigh. What to do, What to do. I'm not even sure we'll be back to flying by 6/16 and I'm paying cash as I had to change a cash flight I made earlier this year.

pulpfiction78 Mar 29, 2020 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Graciecatt (Post 32244450)
Today it's down to $506. Main Cabin (V) $120.80, Comfort+ (S) $203.59, and D1 (Z) $506.84. Sigh. What to do, What to do. I'm not even sure we'll be back to flying by 6/16 and I'm paying cash as I had to change a cash flight I made earlier this year.

It comes down to preference and value. For me, I would jump on that price. I'm 6'7" so for me the more space and comfort totally worth it.