Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Should I fly this ticket / great rate / during COVID-19? (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I fly this ticket / great rate / during COVID-19? (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Jon_R
If they would make the you had it and recovered test readily available that would be great for me since I would be pretty confident travel would be low risk. If they could do that early May I would start domestic travel again.
Where do you live? I found a physician who does it where I live, but i forgot to call today and try and schedule a appointment. I'm pretty sure I had it after my international trip a few weeks ago, but no one could test me and my symptoms weren't serious.

There are approved rapid tests available for healthcare professionals for point of care testing.

https://www.biomedomics.com/products...e/covid-19-rt/
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I'll likely look for domestic steals for late summer and fall, and look for spring 2021 when that opens up.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:42 pm

...as soon as I can be sure that I can return home without issue. This was the same reason I didn't jump on the fire sale on airfare back in February.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:06 am

I can’t help but think that the era of flying we all enjoyed is now a thing of the past. I don’t mean to be all doom and gloom, but the European lockdowns and eventual virus explosion in the US is going to cause massive economic damage not seen since the Great Depression.

Also, it really wouldn’t surprise me if many carriers go bust with govts nationalising what we’d call the national carriers only, so in the case of the U.K., that would be BA.

I don’t know, perhaps flying will go back to where it was in the 50s/60s with regards to passenger and traffic numbers. Things like a 3rd runway for Heathrow will be never ever be required. All this rapid expansion and speculation, now a thing of the past.

Of course, my fellow FTs, this is just my opinion.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:51 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Geez such wimps you all are!! LOL. So if you don't think the airline you are going to buy from is going to go truly bust then why not book the flights now that it's super cheap. If the get cancelled you should be able to rebook in the same fare class later (so if it's steal now, it will be even a bigger steal later!). If they cancel you get your money back. Travel insurance would hedge it. I've booked one flight for 2 of us to Boston because it wasn't a bad deal in August and we had plans to go already. Rebooked the scheduled now cancelled AF biz flight that was in April into October (no problems getting the same flights without any fees or extra fare even though those tickets were selling for $1650 more per person), The upcoming May flights (DL ticketed, KLM operated) hasn't been cancelled yet but will rebook that into September. And once things calm down we will pounce on Tokyo and/or Brussels trips for June/July. Maybe time for some Minnesota State Fair too around Labor Day. I've also booked a bunch of award tickets for Houston and Taiwan in Nov and Dec, dang that was easy!
Old Apr 2, 2020, 6:07 am

Central Florida.

will look into it in a couple weeks.

Originally Posted by bsagator
Where do you live? I found a physician who does it where I live, but i forgot to call today and try and schedule a appointment. I'm pretty sure I had it after my international trip a few weeks ago, but no one could test me and my symptoms weren't serious.

There are approved rapid tests available for healthcare professionals for point of care testing.

https://www.biomedomics.com/products...e/covid-19-rt/
Old Apr 2, 2020, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah if you see a good domestic deal there really is very minimal risk in booking now with the change fee waiver, unless you're looking at something silly like April considering all of the cancellations and virus escalation.

International I'm not looking at until later in summer at the earliest. As long as the dept of state has a Level 4 'do not travel' advisory or Level 3 'reconsider travel' I'm not going to have any business flights to/through those locations. Same for the CDC Level 3 warning 'avoid nonessential travel'.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
As soon as it's safe to fly internationally
Originally Posted by lsquare
It's really up to the governments as to when we'll be flying again.
Originally Posted by A321neo
I'm targeting mid-May for now.
I've never really kept an itinerary the same if I book more than a month in advance so I don't usually book that far out. It's a bit concerning that no one knows when this Pandemic will be over with so I've tried my best to not think about traveling anywhere in 2020 and focus on 2021.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by rylan
Yeah if you see a good domestic deal there really is very minimal risk in booking now with the change fee waiver, unless you're looking at something silly like April considering all of the cancellations and virus escalation.

International I'm not looking at until later in summer at the earliest. As long as the dept of state has a Level 4 'do not travel' advisory or Level 3 'reconsider travel' I'm not going to have any business flights to/through those locations. Same for the CDC Level 3 warning 'avoid nonessential travel'.
Isn't there some risk? I thought it was a one-time change only
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Nope, unlimited change fee waivers. You do of course have to pay fare difference if the new flights are more expensive.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...---------.html
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue
So last week I booked a steal of a fare from LHR-YYZ via JFK on DL for September. Of course we have the waive fees option on all tickets booked during this period so no worries whether it goes ahead or not.

My question was, on the app DL are offering a paid upgrade offer on both JFK-YYZ legs for £47/ $58 USD per leg. Firstly in your opinion

a) is it worth it? (I'm in Comfort+ on this leg right now)
b) If I pay to upgrade and coronavirus hits hard late into summer and I choose to reschedule do I lose what I've paid and bump back down to C+?
C) If I go for it, should I wait till closer or will this kind of deal go soon?

(Thanks for any help first time DL flyer!)
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I've never really kept an itinerary the same if I book more than a month in advance so I don't usually book that far out. It's a bit concerning that no one knows when this Pandemic will be over with so I've tried my best to not think about traveling anywhere in 2020 and focus on 2021.
I'm pretty sure that's impossible as no one have a crystal ball. COVID-19 seems to be getting worse and worse with each passing day in the US. Not even Dr. Fauci sees light at the end of the tunnel. Yet.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
If all flights became refundable I would buy, but right now just too many unknowns.

I’d like to go to California this summer, but I just don’t know where things will be. Economy, Virus, so many unknowns.

Refundable fares would be the only thing to make me buy now.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Different folks have different reasons to buy or not buy tickets now. For me, I just purchased tickets for June, July, and August. Reason: I often have to cancel these tickets less than a week out, and I eat the $200 change fee (better than having to pay the close-in ticket price). But now there's no change fee, so good for me! I'll easily use the eCredits on a later flight if I need to cancel. Bonus: When DL relaxes restrictions due to COVID, they often do so only for tickets already purchased prior to the date the announcement is made.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
I can wait but would I be better off to book something with a stop? I thought it made sense to book the nonstop between large major cities.
I think it's wise to wait.

As for the travel bank credit. People are making the assumption that DL will honor that if they file chapter 11. And DL will file chapter 11 this year if things continue at this trajectory. Without the bailout grants, they are going to run out of money by June. And with bailout, that will get them to Q4. Given that air travel is likely to be dead for a while and people will be using their travel bank dollars to fly when they do start flying again, all major airlines will be short on cash. Do you want to take the risk that airlines will honor your travel bank credit when they are going through chapter 11?

Originally Posted by cfabar1
If all flights became refundable I would buy, but right now just too many unknowns.

I’d like to go to California this summer, but I just don’t know where things will be. Economy, Virus, so many unknowns.

Refundable fares would be the only thing to make me buy now.
They are not going to refund you in cash. Do you really want to take the chance that Delta will no go into chapter 11 and honor all the travel credit? This is way bigger hit on airlines industry than 9/11. You have to throw out all the prior cases when looking at this.

This is amazing. When people look at low fares, they just can't help themselves. Wait until 2 weeks before the flight. Situation isn't going to be getting any better. Prices aren't going up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.