What constitutes as a segment?

Old Mar 16, 20, 8:04 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Programs: ba exec silver
Posts: 429
What constitutes as a segment?

What constitutes as a segment?
Is it a one way ticket? or a return trip?
firehawk is offline  
Old Mar 16, 20, 8:10 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: Delta GM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Food Lion MVP
Posts: 932
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
What constitutes as a segment?
Is it a one way ticket? or a return trip?
Each leg of a trip. XXX-ATL-YYY YYY-ATL-XXX IS 4 segments. Think of it as every time you board an airplane (though there is a rare exception of continuing flights with the same flight number, usually a domestic to international or V/V).
ekozie is offline  
Old Mar 16, 20, 8:12 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Programs: ba exec silver
Posts: 429
Thanks. In otherwords, a return flight and not a one way ticket?

Example: if I went from SEA to IAH on a 1 way ticket, is that a segment?
or SEA-IAH-IAH-SEA return ticket, this would be a segment?
firehawk is offline  
Old Mar 16, 20, 8:16 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DTW
Programs: DL PM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Tit
Posts: 967
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
Thanks. In otherwords, a return flight and not a one way ticket?

Example: if I went from SEA to IAH on a 1 way ticket, is that a segment?
or SEA-IAH-IAH-SEA return ticket, this would be a segment?
SEA-IAH - 1 segment
SEA-IAH, IAH-SEA - 2 segments
SEA--DTW-IAH - 2 segmnts
SEA-DTW-IAH, IAH-DTW-SEA - 4 segments
MarkCron is offline  
Old Mar 16, 20, 8:17 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Programs: ba exec silver
Posts: 429
thanks!
firehawk is offline  
Old Mar 16, 20, 12:18 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 105
The only caveat, and this is an experience on UA, I am not sure if DL numbers itís flights like this, is some flights even with a plane change are a single flight number and count as one segment.


in other words XXX-YYY-ZZZ is a single flight number and therefore is a single segment.

UA and I think US both did this. Iím new to DL so not certain it numbers flights like that.

mike
MSPeconomist likes this.
flyingmike is offline  
Old Mar 16, 20, 12:29 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 11,206
Originally Posted by flyingmike View Post
The only caveat, and this is an experience on UA, I am not sure if DL numbers itís flights like this, is some flights even with a plane change are a single flight number and count as one segment.


in other words XXX-YYY-ZZZ is a single flight number and therefore is a single segment.

UA and I think US both did this. Iím new to DL so not certain it numbers flights like that.

mike
I believe there is a way to have these segments 'divorced' if you end up in such a situation.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Mar 16, 20, 11:34 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 16,068
DL had (and may still have) a handful of through flights that operated with the same flight number on both segments; most involve(d) a domestic segment at the beginning or end of an international flight

some where I was on the domestic leg were DL151 IAD-ATL (M88; continued to LIM as a 763/764) and DL159 DTW-BOS (319; came in from ICN as a 744)

I also flew DL939 IAD-SLC-SEA, which was a tail swap of 738s (and despite several rounds of negotiations, did NOT get credit for the two segments on a wholly domestic flight )

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 16, 20 at 11:42 pm
jrl767 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 12:48 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: GA
Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-exDM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Posts: 7,958
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
I also flew DL939 IAD-SLC-SEA, which was a tail swap of 738s (and despite several rounds of negotiations, did NOT get credit for the two segments on a wholly domestic flight )
It's annoying that airlines do this. But whether it is the same plane, different planes, domestic, or international.... you'll never get two segments or actual MQM for a 1-stop direct flight if it is ticketed as such. You'll get 1 segment and MQM as the P2P distance ignoring the connection.
CPMaverick is online now  
Old Mar 17, 20, 6:03 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2,900
You do get a bit of a tax break on the direct flights as they do not charge the US Segment tax (currently $4.30) and PFC (usually $4.50) for the extra hop and connecting airport.
xliioper is online now  
Old Mar 17, 20, 8:56 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,193
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
DL had (and may still have) a handful of through flights that operated with the same flight number on both segments; most involve(d) a domestic segment at the beginning or end of an international flight

some where I was on the domestic leg were DL151 IAD-ATL (M88; continued to LIM as a 763/764) and DL159 DTW-BOS (319; came in from ICN as a 744)

I also flew DL939 IAD-SLC-SEA, which was a tail swap of 738s (and despite several rounds of negotiations, did NOT get credit for the two segments on a wholly domestic flight )
There are some domestic routes where the aircraft turns around, usually RJs, with the same flight segment. IIRC DTW-ITH-DTW is one example.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 9:17 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: Delta GM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Food Lion MVP
Posts: 932
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
There are some domestic routes where the aircraft turns around, usually RJs, with the same flight segment. IIRC DTW-ITH-DTW is one example.
I've gotten proper credit for two segments on the same PNR that have the same flight number HUB-XXX-HUB, but are not continuation flights. I did a couple segment runs back in the day to CHA where I turned right back around to ATL on the same plane and flight number, and was back in NC by 11:30am.
ekozie is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 9:44 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 16,068
for the vast majority of travelers -- which I presume includes the OP, since the notional example of SEA-IAH isn't a nonstop DL market -- MR-style turnarounds (HUB-XXX-HUB or YYY-HUB-YYY) with the same flight number are irrelevant

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
It's annoying that airlines do this. But whether it is the same plane, different planes, domestic, or international.... you'll never get two segments or actual MQM for a 1-stop direct flight if it is ticketed as such. You'll get 1 segment and MQM as the P2P distance ignoring the connection.
oh, I knew going in that the chance of success was zero, but I felt I needed to make the point about an exceedingly disingenuous practice ... if it's the same jet, I'll *maybe* cut the airline some slack, but when they knowingly plan/operate it like a connection it's just petty
jrl767 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 9:58 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: Delta GM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Food Lion MVP
Posts: 932
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
oh, I knew going in that the chance of success was zero, but I felt I needed to make the point about an exceedingly disingenuous practice ... if it's the same jet, I'll *maybe* cut the airline some slack, but when they knowingly plan/operate it like a connection it's just petty
Especially when the connection isn't guaranteed and the second flight won't be held for a delay on the first!
MSPeconomist likes this.
ekozie is offline  
Old Mar 17, 20, 10:03 am
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
OP - Rather than worrying about the esoteric exceptions, what is it that you are trying to figure out? Knowing that might yield a definitive answer without exceptions which may be entirely irrelevant to your needs.
Often1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: