FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   What constitutes as a segment? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2013179-what-constitutes-segment.html)

firehawk Mar 16, 2020 8:04 am

What constitutes as a segment?

Is it a one way ticket? or a return trip?

ekozie Mar 16, 2020 8:10 am

Originally Posted by firehawk (Post 32192973)
Is it a one way ticket? or a return trip?

Each leg of a trip. XXX-ATL-YYY YYY-ATL-XXX IS 4 segments. Think of it as every time you board an airplane (though there is a rare exception of continuing flights with the same flight number, usually a domestic to international or V/V).

firehawk Mar 16, 2020 8:12 am

Thanks. In otherwords, a return flight and not a one way ticket?

Example: if I went from SEA to IAH on a 1 way ticket, is that a segment?
or SEA-IAH-IAH-SEA return ticket, this would be a segment?

MarkCron Mar 16, 2020 8:16 am

Originally Posted by firehawk (Post 32192988)
Thanks. In otherwords, a return flight and not a one way ticket?

Example: if I went from SEA to IAH on a 1 way ticket, is that a segment?
or SEA-IAH-IAH-SEA return ticket, this would be a segment?

SEA-IAH - 1 segment
SEA-IAH, IAH-SEA - 2 segments
SEA--DTW-IAH - 2 segmnts
SEA-DTW-IAH, IAH-DTW-SEA - 4 segments

firehawk Mar 16, 2020 8:17 am

thanks!

flyingmike Mar 16, 2020 12:18 pm

The only caveat, and this is an experience on UA, I am not sure if DL numbers it’s flights like this, is some flights even with a plane change are a single flight number and count as one segment.

in other words XXX-YYY-ZZZ is a single flight number and therefore is a single segment.

UA and I think US both did this. I’m new to DL so not certain it numbers flights like that.

mike

cmd320 Mar 16, 2020 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmike (Post 32193941)
The only caveat, and this is an experience on UA, I am not sure if DL numbers it’s flights like this, is some flights even with a plane change are a single flight number and count as one segment.

in other words XXX-YYY-ZZZ is a single flight number and therefore is a single segment.

UA and I think US both did this. I’m new to DL so not certain it numbers flights like that.

mike

I believe there is a way to have these segments 'divorced' if you end up in such a situation.

jrl767 Mar 16, 2020 11:34 pm

DL had (and may still have) a handful of through flights that operated with the same flight number on both segments; most involve(d) a domestic segment at the beginning or end of an international flight

some where I was on the domestic leg were DL151 IAD-ATL (M88; continued to LIM as a 763/764) and DL159 DTW-BOS (319; came in from ICN as a 744)

I also flew DL939 IAD-SLC-SEA, which was a tail swap of 738s (and despite several rounds of negotiations, did NOT get credit for the two segments on a wholly domestic flight :mad:)

CPMaverick Mar 17, 2020 12:48 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 32196106)
I also flew DL939 IAD-SLC-SEA, which was a tail swap of 738s (and despite several rounds of negotiations, did NOT get credit for the two segments on a wholly domestic flight :mad:)

It's annoying that airlines do this. But whether it is the same plane, different planes, domestic, or international.... you'll never get two segments or actual MQM for a 1-stop direct flight if it is ticketed as such. You'll get 1 segment and MQM as the P2P distance ignoring the connection.

xliioper Mar 17, 2020 6:03 am

You do get a bit of a tax break on the direct flights as they do not charge the US Segment tax (currently $4.30) and PFC (usually $4.50) for the extra hop and connecting airport.

MSPeconomist Mar 17, 2020 8:56 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 32196106)
DL had (and may still have) a handful of through flights that operated with the same flight number on both segments; most involve(d) a domestic segment at the beginning or end of an international flight

some where I was on the domestic leg were DL151 IAD-ATL (M88; continued to LIM as a 763/764) and DL159 DTW-BOS (319; came in from ICN as a 744)

There are some domestic routes where the aircraft turns around, usually RJs, with the same flight segment. IIRC DTW-ITH-DTW is one example.

ekozie Mar 17, 2020 9:17 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32197458)
There are some domestic routes where the aircraft turns around, usually RJs, with the same flight segment. IIRC DTW-ITH-DTW is one example.

I've gotten proper credit for two segments on the same PNR that have the same flight number HUB-XXX-HUB, but are not continuation flights. I did a couple segment runs back in the day to CHA where I turned right back around to ATL on the same plane and flight number, and was back in NC by 11:30am.

jrl767 Mar 17, 2020 9:44 am

for the vast majority of travelers -- which I presume includes the OP, since the notional example of SEA-IAH isn't a nonstop DL market -- MR-style turnarounds (HUB-XXX-HUB or YYY-HUB-YYY) with the same flight number are irrelevant

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 32196197)
It's annoying that airlines do this. But whether it is the same plane, different planes, domestic, or international.... you'll never get two segments or actual MQM for a 1-stop direct flight if it is ticketed as such. You'll get 1 segment and MQM as the P2P distance ignoring the connection.

oh, I knew going in that the chance of success was zero, but I felt I needed to make the point about an exceedingly disingenuous practice ... if it's the same jet, I'll *maybe* cut the airline some slack, but when they knowingly plan/operate it like a connection it's just petty

ekozie Mar 17, 2020 9:58 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 32197652)
oh, I knew going in that the chance of success was zero, but I felt I needed to make the point about an exceedingly disingenuous practice ... if it's the same jet, I'll *maybe* cut the airline some slack, but when they knowingly plan/operate it like a connection it's just petty

Especially when the connection isn't guaranteed and the second flight won't be held for a delay on the first!

Often1 Mar 17, 2020 10:03 am

OP - Rather than worrying about the esoteric exceptions, what is it that you are trying to figure out? Knowing that might yield a definitive answer without exceptions which may be entirely irrelevant to your needs.