Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by sakaike
Another update: (partial) success! After 11 weeks and 1 day from my Delta Vacations cancellation on March 24, I received a credit card refund today. I am now waiting for my paper voucher for the remainder to arrive in the mail. 55 business days, over 2 1/2 months. It's still not complete, but at least I have renewed faith that everything will work out fine - eventually.
And as of yesterday, I received the paper voucher in the mail. Don't know how or when I'll use it, but at least the long wait for a full refund is over. Anyone still waiting for a Delta Vacations refund with a cancellation date after mine (March 24), hang in there!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:48 pm

DP, I just cancelled 2 tickets to Vegas paid for in miles. Flight was scheduled for January 8,2021...........booked Feb 11,2020.

According to Delta's rules this should have not qualified for a fee free refund as it was booked before March 1 and the flight is after September 30. 32K Miles redeposited instantly, sec fee being refunded.

We are waiving change fees and Award redeposit fees for travel impacted by coronavirus. This applies to domestic and international travel departing March through September 30, 2020, as well as all tickets purchased between March 1 and June 30, 2020. 
Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
My wife, son, and I are booked in D1 from JFK-CDG and in AF business class CDG-JFK in early July. The trip, which was purely leisure, obviously makes no sense anymore.

We had been waiting for the flights to be cancelled for a cash refund, but that seems unlikely at this point.

Is there any particular disadvantage to us if we continue to wait a week or two to call in to cancel our tickets and get e-certs?
Old Jun 12, 2020, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by acrophobia
My wife, son, and I are booked in D1 from JFK-CDG and in AF business class CDG-JFK in early July. The trip, which was purely leisure, obviously makes no sense anymore.

We had been waiting for the flights to be cancelled for a cash refund, but that seems unlikely at this point.

Is there any particular disadvantage to us if we continue to wait a week or two to call in to cancel our tickets and get e-certs?
I don’t see any harm in waiting another week or two. They just made major changes to my Mid July Asia flights the other day. I am glad I waited just to have the increased flexibility. Can’t hurt is the way I see it. Others may have different thoughts.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Delta award tickets usually need to be changed or canceled at least 72 hours prior to departure, otherwise the miles are nonrefundable.

If I book my mother a ticket before June 30 (for travel in July) will the above rule still apply? Mom has the habit of delaying her flights a day or two which means I generally never use Delta miles for her, too risky.

(I'm an infrequent Delta traveler - read up a few pages so apologies if this has been asked and answered before)
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott
I received an email (same one that I got when I cancelled on April 24) that my refund is being processed. Hopefully, that means I don’t have to wait another 1 1/2 months.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:39 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
My transatlantic flight for 19/6 has disappeared. I was almost sure this flight would be canceled but I had at least expected some kind of notification when it happened.
Instead, the only reason I know is because it is no longer showing in my trips and the booking number and flight ticket give an error if I look them up.

Should I just wait now for the refund to appear on my credit card or should I take any kind of action to get my money back?

There are no credits or certificates showing in my account. I've checked for refunds on delta's website but it isn't showing any refund information.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:18 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Originally Posted by flyer4512
DP, I just cancelled 2 tickets to Vegas paid for in miles. Flight was scheduled for January 8,2021...........booked Feb 11,2020.

According to Delta's rules this should have not qualified for a fee free refund as it was booked before March 1 and the flight is after September 30. 32K Miles redeposited instantly, sec fee being refunded.

We are waiving change fees and Award redeposit fees for travel impacted by coronavirus. This applies to domestic and international travel departing March through September 30, 2020, as well as all tickets purchased between March 1 and June 30, 2020. 
this is interesting to me as I am waiting for miles to be redeposited from a VS/DL op set of flights, and thus far I’ve not seen the miles or $ returned thus far. On the other hand, I’ve received cash refunds from Allegiant, which I generally try to avoid but had a nonstop on that I used. To me it is mind boggling that Allegiant is providing better recovery service than DL!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by EZE
this is interesting to me as I am waiting for miles to be redeposited from a VS/DL op set of flights, and thus far I’ve not seen the miles or $ returned thus far. On the other hand, I’ve received cash refunds from Allegiant, which I generally try to avoid but had a nonstop on that I used. To me it is mind boggling that Allegiant is providing better recovery service than DL!

This flight was booked via DL website using DL miles on DL metal, miles refunded instantly.

My wife had a DL Ecredit months ago for a June 12 flight.............paid for using DL gift cards on DL metal, Ecredit that expires in 2022 appeared immediately
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Not a DL flyer but have tried to look thru the last few pages here.

My wife had a ticket booked on DL stock, AF on the outbound to CDG, return on VS from LHR. Logged in today to see this notice:
There has been a flight cancellation affecting your trip and we haven't been able to find you another flight.
The return from LHR has been completely cancelled (not on the VS schedule anymore, in fact, no non-stops at all)

Went to the Change Flight option and on the cancellation the only option was eCredit which of course I know they're trying to force you towards, but since the flight is cancelled, she should be eligible for a full refund. So I submitted the IRROPs "Refund for non-refundable ticket" form. Is there anything else that needs to be done? Her outbound is scheduled on 6/23, so don't want something weird to happen because obviously she isn't getting on the outbound and I know from this thread that DL is ridiculously backed up on refund requests. As long as all is good, I won't worry about it and expect to see the money back on the card sometime between now and 2023

Additionally, she was travelling with several other people on the same itinerary (separate PNRs). They all already opted for eCredit. Based on my reading of this thread, it seems they are now eligible for a full cash refund as well, correct? Do they just fill out the same form as I did for my wife?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
I'm waiting on a $2,500 refund that I requested in late April. I too have been told that Delta is still processing requests from late March.

I work in IT, so I generally roll my eyes at a lot of the complaints about Delta's IT on FT that seem to stem from not understanding the challenges and complexities of development and maintenance. But this one perplexes even me. How can you be so inept that you can't issue refunds back through the original payment method without (apparently) some intricate manual process? It's mind blowing.

Part of me wants to think that this is Delta stalling and trying to prevent too large of a cash outflow at once. But as the saying goes, never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
What is Delta's policy or process for providing a refund to a credit card that is no longer active? Since booking (months ago), I've cancelled my card and no longer have any accounts with that bank. Is getting my money back to be an extra hassle?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
I'm waiting on a $2,500 refund that I requested in late April. I too have been told that Delta is still processing requests from late March.

I work in IT, so I generally roll my eyes at a lot of the complaints about Delta's IT on FT that seem to stem from not understanding the challenges and complexities of development and maintenance. But this one perplexes even me. How can you be so inept that you can't issue refunds back through the original payment method without (apparently) some intricate manual process? It's mind blowing.

Part of me wants to think that this is Delta stalling and trying to prevent too large of a cash outflow at once. But as the saying goes, never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
I submitted refund request on 4/10 for a $7K D1 flight to SYD. The LAX-SYD flights are gone, but no movement from DL on my refund that is much needed.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
When you submitted the request, how long did they tell you it would take?

What I don't understand is why, the day after that period of time expires, people don't dispute the charge with the credit card bank. Then it becomes the bank's problem, not yours.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:51 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by snic
When you submitted the request, how long did they tell you it would take?

What I don't understand is why, the day after that period of time expires, people don't dispute the charge with the credit card bank. Then it becomes the bank's problem, not yours.
That's what I did with an Emirates refund that was supposed to take 30 days. I called them around day 40 and was told to allow up to another 120 days. Uhh...nope. I contacted CapitalOne, submitted a dispute. My refund posted about 10 days later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.