Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2020, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The only way to know is to call.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 5:51 pm

Last time I spoke with DL, I was told that refunds were being processed for the beginning of July. You have to wait for at least three months (!) if you are "lucky". How come 7 days law to process refunds does not apply to DL?
CO-PLAT and cmd320 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
About a week ago, I called in to ask about a ticket that had been cancelled in early August, and the phone agent was able to push it through manually (the refund appeared on my credit card account in a couple days).

Separately, I used the web site chat to cancel another ticket that had a significant schedule change and they were able to refund it immediately (again appearing on my CC within a couple days).

So for those who are still waiting, I would suggest calling again or web/Twitter chat (those for whom Twitter DM is working) and see what they can do.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ACR2013
Last time I spoke with DL, I was told that refunds were being processed for the beginning of July. You have to wait for at least three months (!) if you are "lucky". How come 7 days law to process refunds does not apply to DL?
What "7 days law" would that be?

If you are referring to DOT guidance, it lacks the force of law. DOT has also specifically said it will exercise its prosecutorial discretion in light of the continuing public health emergency.

Many refunds are indeed being promptly processed. There are some that cannot be pushed by first-line agents manually, including those used e-credits or gift cards.

Last edited by Adam1222; Oct 17, 2020 at 6:52 pm
Old Oct 17, 2020, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
What "7 days law" would that be?

If you are referring to DOT guidance, it lacks the force of law. DOT has also specifically said it will exercise its prosecutorial discretion in light of the continuing public health emergency.
Nothing said about "health emergency", it is just an "excuse" by an airline or a TA. Government entity states it clearly and plain:
How quickly is an airline, travel agent, or online travel agency required to process a refund?
  • If a passenger is owed a refund, an airline, travel agent, or online travel agency must process it within seven business days if the passenger paid by credit card, and 20 business days if the passenger paid by cash or check.

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...h%20or%20check.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 6:59 pm

(delete)​​​
Old Oct 17, 2020, 7:01 pm

Nothing said about "health emergency", it is just an "excuse" by an airline or a TA. Government entity states it clearly and plain:
How quickly is an airline, travel agent, or online travel agency required to process a refund?
  • If a passenger is owed a refund, an airline, travel agent, or online travel agency must process it within seven business days if the passenger paid by credit card, and 20 business days if the passenger paid by cash or check.

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...h%20or%20check.
It helps to look at the more recent updates, including the one that says clearly and plain " The Aviation Enforcement Office recognizes that, given the significant volume of refund requests resulting from the COVID-19 public health emergency, processing refunds may take longer than normal and will determine the timeliness of refund processing for ticket agents based on the totality of the circumstances, such as the volume of incoming refund requests and steps taken to address the increased volume."

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...%202020%29.pdf

Last edited by Adam1222; Oct 17, 2020 at 7:08 pm
Old Oct 17, 2020, 7:05 pm

It helps to look at the more recent updates, including the one that says clearly and plain "In recognition of the fact that the COVID-19 public health emergency has had major impacts on the airline industry, the Aviation Enforcement Office will exercise its prosecutorial discretion..."
Please provide the official information about that, otherwise it has nothing to do with DL is not complying with the DOT. Btw, a complaint button is conveniently located in the link I provided - US DOT wants to know about airlines not following refunds within 7 days (most people pay by credit cards, so that is the time frame to have the refund processed)
Old Oct 17, 2020, 7:08 pm

Please provide the official information about that, otherwise it has nothing to do with DL is not complying with the DOT. Btw, a complaint button is conveniently located in the link I provided - US DOT wants to know about airlines not following refunds within 7 days (most people pay by credit cards, so that is the time frame to have the refund processed)
It is a quote from an official document issued by the US DOT, so, um, yeah. For future reference, you can look at the DOT website where it lists all of the most recent policies. This particular policy has been in effect for five months.

It turns out they haven't taken all existing government websites down to respond to the unprecedented public health emergency that continues.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 8:34 pm

It is a quote from an official document issued by the US DOT, so, um, yeah. For future reference, you can look at the DOT website where it lists all of the most recent policies. This particular policy has been in effect for five months.

It turns out they haven't taken all existing government websites down to respond to the unprecedented public health emergency that continues.
Does that "unprecedented public health emergency" apply to DL only? Other American airlines manage to comply with the DOT`s requirements and issue the refund within 7 business days (plus a few days for a cc to process the refund - but that is ok with DOT as long as the refund is issued within 7 days).
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 9:21 pm

Does that "unprecedented public health emergency" apply to DL only? Other American airlines manage to comply with the DOT`s requirements and issue the refund within 7 business days (plus a few days for a cc to process the refund - but that is ok with DOT as long as the refund is issued within 7 days).
​​​​​I posted the DOT's industrywide policy, which you ignored. I am sorry you won't acknowledge the incorrectness of your statements.

You stated that "the law" requires 7-day refunds.
It does not.

If you are pivoting to a different point, that Delta refunds are slower than other airlines, that appears to be quite a different point.

I have minimized my travel to account with public health guidance and the pandemic, so I don't have a large enough sample size to have personal experience about every airline in America.
​​​​​
Old Oct 17, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Around here it apparently does. Also, there’s no real reasoning behind why CV should preclude Delta from being able to offer timely refunds. The two things have virtually nothing to do with one another.

Just another gift from DL this year. From First to Worst - The Delta 2020 Story...
Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Around here it apparently does. Also, there’s no real reasoning behind why CV should preclude Delta from being able to offer timely refunds. The two things have virtually nothing to do with one another.

Just another gift from DL this year. From First to Worst - The Delta 2020 Story...
Just wait til you hear what else happened in 2020!!!
Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320

Evee heard of discretion? DOT like all agencies have discretion in enforcing the rules.

It should be noted, that to varying degrees and for varying amount of time, all airlines have had issue. The number of refunds skyrocketed with flight cancellations and will continue to be high due to fluidity of schedule.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Evee heard of discretion? DOT like all agencies have discretion in enforcing the rules.

It should be noted, that to varying degrees and for varying amount of time, all airlines have had issue. The number of refunds skyrocketed with flight cancellations and will continue to be high due to fluidity of schedule.
Be that as it may, given they’ve now had more than half a year to get this in order, it’s pretty disappointing this still cannot be done in a timely manner, especially given DL’s once subpar peers don’t seem to have a big problem with this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.