Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL gates in DEN

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
DL gates in DEN

Right now DL has 6 gates in DEN in Concourse A. This article says that United is taking over some of those gates. Does anyone have any information about where DL will go? Do you think they’ll have to shrink their operation in DEN?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepoin...r-airport/amp/
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Traveler_boy_25
Right now DL has 6 gates in DEN in Concourse A. This article says that United is taking over some of those gates. Does anyone have any information about where DL will go? Do you think they’ll have to shrink their operation in DEN?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepoin...r-airport/amp/
They wont be shrinking. Despite how much UA would love it, it'd result in a lawsuit if DEN forced an airline to shrink operations. It'd also likely result in antitrust action against UA.

What is likely is that DL gates will move and may be shared more with non-UA/WN OALs. There is likely to be timing changes also.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They wont be shrinking. Despite how much UA would love it, it'd result in a lawsuit if DEN forced an airline to shrink operations. It'd also likely result in antitrust action against UA.

What is likely is that DL gates will move and may be shared more with non-UA/WN OALs. There is likely to be timing changes also.
Thank you! That’s what I wanted to hear. I’m moving to DEN and will stay loyal to DL, so I want to ensure that even with UA taking over some of their gates they will still maintain the same presence that they currently do.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta, United
The nice part about DL being at the A gates is one can take the sky bridge and go through the TSA there rather than the usual gauntlet and take the train.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
The nice part about DL being at the A gates is one can take the sky bridge and go through the TSA there rather than the usual gauntlet and take the train.
Yes usually do that and it’s much better! I think DL will stay in A since that’s where their SC is.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
The Cranky Flier Blog had a post on the expansion a few weeks ago:

https://crankyflier.com/2020/01/13/s...tes-in-denver/

Southwest has always said it wants all 16 of the gates being built on C for itself. It wants to grow big in Denver. That’s rational, but United has other plans.

United has been working on pushing through a new lease agreement that would give it 24 gates above the 66 it has now. That includes the 1 new gate on B, all 12 of the new gates on A, and 11 of the existing gates. (It also has the option to trade 6 of its existing CRJ gates on the south finger for 5 gates capable of serving E-175s if it wants, but that’s a separate issue.) Those 11 gates as I understand it are currently split between Delta with 6 and Frontier with 5.

That is quite the bomb to drop here. In theory, United could take all those gates, and Southwest could take the 16 on C and then they’re both happy. But, uh, then Frontier would lose more than half its gates, and Delta would have none. That obviously won’t work… even if the airport says it will.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Last two times I tried that PreCheck was closed at the skybridge, is that now common? I traveled on Saturdays.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99
The Cranky Flier Blog had a post on the expansion a few weeks ago:

https://crankyflier.com/2020/01/13/s...tes-in-denver/
Interesting read! I’m hoping that DL still maintains the same amount of gates in DEN that they currently do (6 gates). Will be interesting to see what happens.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Traveler_boy_25
Interesting read! I’m hoping that DL still maintains the same amount of gates in DEN that they currently do (6 gates). Will be interesting to see what happens.
The number of gates might change. However it would be unlikely (for reasons I state in my first post) that DL is forced to reduce flights. Ie instead of using two gates for two flights at same time, they lose one and now must operate/retime one of the flights to operate before/ after the other instead of at same time.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Dutch101
Last two times I tried that PreCheck was closed at the skybridge, is that now common? I traveled on Saturdays.
Usually it's only open for morning flights, IIRC.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The number of gates might change. However it would be unlikely (for reasons I state in my first post) that DL is forced to reduce flights. Ie instead of using two gates for two flights at same time, they lose one and now must operate/retime one of the flights to operate before/ after the other instead of at same time.
Pretty unlikely Delta will wind up with fewer gates. Don’t know the plan, it is be shocked if there were fewer than six gates for Delta at the end.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Pretty unlikely Delta will wind up with fewer gates. Don’t know the plan, it is be shocked if there were fewer than six gates for Delta at the end.
Hopefully not! But I guess as long as they keep the same number of flights it’s okay.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I don't think that UA will be able gain control of all of the existing gates right away. I could see them getting the new gates first and once the C Concourse extension opens up, DL will probably have to move back to C and UA can then take control over the existing gates. They're just isn't really enough room on the other side of A with AA and F9 for DL to stay on A if UA does indeed get existing gates on A.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Yeah I'm sure that Delta would would fire off a request for an injunction within about five minutes. And they'd be right to get it.

United should be careful or they may find themselves in the back of D at ATL next to Spirit.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Yeah I'm sure that Delta would would fire off a request for an injunction within about five minutes. And they'd be right to get it.

United should be careful or they may find themselves in the back of D at ATL next to Spirit.
It will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.