Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL gates in DEN

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by xliioper
Here's an airport map showing the 8 common use gates mentioned in that Cranky article. I'm guessing these gates aren't utilized as heavily as they could be, but it's hard to see how both DL and F9 would be able to accommodate all their flights there along with the other airlines that use them.

http://cnee.colostate.edu/wp-content...EN_InfoMap.pdf
The common use gates are used primarily for international flights because they're capable of handling wide bodies. Also, all international arrivals (excluding pre-clearance flights) arrive at A. DL and F9 will most likely not get to us those gates very often unless DEN builds more international-arrival-capable ones.

Last edited by eneq; Feb 24, 2020 at 10:37 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
There is a lot of ambiguity in how the DEN concourse expansions and gate allocations are going to play out since UA and WN have basically requested as many of the new gates as possible.
The phasing and timing may factor in how this all plays out.

Short answer is that DL is not going to reduce their operation in DEN. The airport isn't dumb enough to say sorry DL no gates left for you.
They are likely either to move to another section of A or they may move back out to C. Nothing has been made public,
The SkyClub is really a non-issue too. On the first hand, while functional.,its a pretty spartan and generic club as it is now and its using one-third of what was originally to be a CO Presidents Club that has been split three ways into an Admirals Club, USO Club, and DL SkyClub with shared restrooms for all three.
If DL is forced to relocate, part of the negotiation is likely to be for the airport (and perhaps indirectly UA or WN) to pay all the relocation costs, and build-out of a new SkyClub if say DL has to move out to C.

DEN airport is kind of a hot mess with all the construction these days. The train overcrowding situation has gotten pretty bad at peak times.
As said, the A Bridge Precheck is only open in the mornings. Supposedly once all the construction is done, the A security checkpoint is going to move to the terminal side of the bridge as always have PreCheck open. That is still a little while out and who knows if DL will still be on A then, or booted out to C.
I agree with you. I think that if DL is forced to move to C, they will just have a new permanent SC built in Terminal C. Keeping it in A would just not make any sense.
I also noticed when I was there about 2 weeks ago that the train was very crowded and they were not running the trains often enough.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Traveler_boy_25
I agree with you. I think that if DL is forced to move to C, they will just have a new permanent SC built in Terminal C. Keeping it in A would just not make any sense.
I also noticed when I was there about 2 weeks ago that the train was very crowded and they were not running the trains often enough.
They made a huge failure, IMO, when they chose not to add walking corridors from the terminal to the concourses. I know the concourses are far apart, but there are plenty of people (like me) who would still walk and alleviate the overcrowding. For comparison, the ATL train can definitely get crowded during peak times, but I don't think its as bad as DEN because of the walkways.
Spiff, dmarge18 and ryw like this.

Last edited by eneq; Feb 24, 2020 at 12:28 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
Here's an airport map showing the 8 common use gates mentioned in that Cranky article. I'm guessing these gates aren't utilized as heavily as they could be, but it's hard to see how both DL and F9 would be able to accommodate all their flights there along with the other airlines that use them.

I could somehow see DL maneuvering their way into taking over some of AA, Spirit, Denver Air Connection, PenAir, Boutique Air, and Great Lakes gates. And then having some of those airlines use the Common Use gates.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Traveler_boy_25
I could somehow see DL maneuvering their way into taking over some of AA, Spirit, Denver Air Connection, PenAir, Boutique Air, and Great Lakes gates. And then having some of those airlines use the Common Use gates.
Some of the Spirit/PenAir/Boutique gates are gates with no jetways so I doubt DL would take those. More than likely outcome of this is DL will have to eventually move to C which I’m sure part of the agreements will include a new club being built or existing space will be converted into one.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Some of the Spirit/PenAir/Boutique gates are gates with no jetways so I doubt DL would take those. More than likely outcome of this is DL will have to eventually move to C which I’m sure part of the agreements will include a new club being built or existing space will be converted into one.
Ahh I didn't realize that, but no I imagine they wouldn't want those gates. Honestly if they are forced to move to C with a new SkyClub built and it's near the Centurion Lounge that is definitely a win!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
That checkpoint lacks PreCheck

EDIT: Correction. Per another FT's later post, PreCheck is there until late morning.
However, while it says it's supposed to be open until 11 or so, at various times between 9-11 on weekdays it has indeed, not been open, every trip I've had through Denver since August.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by dmarge18
However, while it says it's supposed to be open until 11 or so, at various times between 9-11 on weekdays it has indeed, not been open, every trip I've had through Denver since August.
We're in a 2% unemployment economy. TSA has staffing shortages. I'm certain that the first line to close any time there is a lack of staffing is the PreCheck line at the bridge, because it's easiest to close up first. <shrugs>
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta, United
FWIW ... Sometimes TSA can mange to do two things at once. I think it was the last time I flew out of OAK where there was not a PreCheck line but the gate keeper was allowing those with PreCheck to be screened as PreCheck PAX. PreCheck Bags would go in with an empty bowl in front and back of them and we would get shuffled off to the WTMD. They were able to that because they were not super busy.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Feb 25, 2020 at 10:28 pm
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
FWIW ... Sometimes TSA can mange to do two things at once. I think it was the last time I flew out of OAK where there was not a PreCheck line but the gate keeper was allowing those with PreCheck to be screened as PreCheck PAX. PreCheck Bags would go in with an empty bowl in front and back of them and we would get shuffled off to the WTMD. They were able to that because they were supper busy.
Usually happens to me around 6 or 7 PM. Nightly.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:20 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
FWIW ... Sometimes TSA can mange to do two things at once. I think it was the last time I flew out of OAK where there was not a PreCheck line but the gate keeper was allowing those with PreCheck to be screened as PreCheck PAX. PreCheck Bags would go in with an empty bowl in front and back of them and we would get shuffled off to the WTMD. They were able to that because they were supper busy.
I've seen something similar at other airports for later departures when there aren't as many TSA staff and there's only 1 lane open (not enough traffic/staff to have the dedicated PreCheck lane open), they let the PreCheck folks go through the normal line but screened as PreCheck. Much preferable to when they did the "precheck-lite" where you had to go through the whole normal process except for taking off your shoes.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:44 pm

There's a more up-to-date gate map (showing those common use gates) here: https://www.flydenver.com/sites/defa...EN_InfoMap.pdf. It also includes the additional commuter gates in A.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jebr
There's a more up-to-date gate map (showing those common use gates) here: https://www.flydenver.com/sites/defa...EN_InfoMap.pdf. It also includes the additional commuter gates in A.
They just need to build another terminal and put all the OAL's in there.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

"One thing absent from the proceedings was where other airlines will go with the Southwest and United deals. While the former’s agreement is only for new, unassigned gates, the latter’s accord would displace both Delta Air Lines and Frontier Airlines from some or all of their current facilities in Concourse A."

https://thepointsguy.com/news/southw...ional-airport/
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ryw
I've seen something similar at other airports for later departures when there aren't as many TSA staff and there's only 1 lane open (not enough traffic/staff to have the dedicated PreCheck lane open), they let the PreCheck folks go through the normal line but screened as PreCheck. Much preferable to when they did the "precheck-lite" where you had to go through the whole normal process except for taking off your shoes.
Pre check lite: personal pet peeve #1 right now at EWR. Love the airport, lounge, etc. But the pre check lite in the delta terminal, which i seem to hit >90% of the time annoys me to the point tat id almost rather fly into LGA and figure out a way to get to NJ. Hate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.