Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can you stream your own content on the seat back screen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you stream your own content on the seat back screen?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by pmiranda
This would be pretty great, but I've never seen that feature in a seatback unit... My phone is loaded with Amazon Prime, and I don't really want to carry a tablet.
Maybe in the days of analog TV I think I saw some entertainment units with S-video jacks, but who knows if they actually worked.
Some of the very first IFE systems I remember (when I started flying a lot in the mid 2000s) had this ability. I believe there was a cable for an iPod. You could play your own music, or view photos from your iPod. When the iPod video came out, you could watch video. It looked similar to an S-video connector, so maybe that's what you've seen.

You had to ask for a special cable from the FA. I remember seeing the plugs for it on the IFE. I never had an iPod so never tried it, and I never saw anyone else use it either.

Once the iPhone (and iPod) lost it's big connector that had analog video out, the system became obsolete.

EDIT: Found some info:
https://www.ubergizmo.com/2009/10/gr...t-video-cable/
Do I need special cable for ipod connection to IFE?

This doesn't helping the OP just something I remembered.
silverthief2 likes this.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 31, 2020 at 2:09 pm
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Your disdain is antiquated:
Your questions answered: Can I stream video while on Gogo? - Gogo Concourse Blog
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I wish they would allow you to access your Amazon Prime or Netflix on the seatback screen the way I can on the cardio equipment at my gym but their wifi probably couldn't handle it.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
In terms of lack of consideration to others, I put "streaming HD video over inflight wifi" just a notch below voice calls.
Agreed. I had a video call last week at work in which one of the participant was in-flight...I rolled my eyes every time he mentioned how terrible the in flight wifi was because he couldn't consistently hear the conversation, see all of us, or speak without it coming out garbled. He came across as an entitled, arrogant, DYKWIA. I don't know what airline he was on, and I don't usually advocate for tattling on people, but man I wish his seatmates tattled on him!!
writerguyfl and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I wish they would allow you to access your Amazon Prime or Netflix on the seatback screen the way I can on the cardio equipment at my gym but their wifi probably couldn't handle it.

That's also a great idea. I bet we will get there, inflight internet keeps getting better. The other snag would be the licensing issues, which are quite complex and vary widely between countries, but it is a problem that can be solved.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can download some Netflix content to your own device. Probably most if not all of their original programming, which is the direction in which they're heading anyway. You can also download some Amazon Prime Video stuff. Not sure about Hulu. And maybe your cable company lets you as well? (E.g., I think the Verizon Fios TV app). I can download the majority of programs saved on my TiVo. So there is plenty of ways to get "streaming" content onto your device without having to stream over the actual connected Wifi, you just have to plan in advance.

Also, I'm pretty sure that some international business class seats have video connections to the IFE, but not sure about which airlines or what kind of cable/device you need.

But I think these are separate questions. Seems OP didn't want to have to carry his own IFE device.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by The Situation
Agreed. I had a video call last week at work in which one of the participant was in-flight...I rolled my eyes every time he mentioned how terrible the in flight wifi was because he couldn't consistently hear the conversation, see all of us, or speak without it coming out garbled. He came across as an entitled, arrogant, DYKWIA. I don't know what airline he was on, and I don't usually advocate for tattling on people, but man I wish his seatmates tattled on him!!
Some airlines even have onboard cell service. Unless he was on a US airline, there was nothing wrong with what he was doing. (Morals of doing it is something else)
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ijgordon
You can download some Netflix content to your own device. Probably most if not all of their original programming, which is the direction in which they're heading anyway. You can also download some Amazon Prime Video stuff. Not sure about Hulu. And maybe your cable company lets you as well? (E.g., I think the Verizon Fios TV app). I can download the majority of programs saved on my TiVo. So there is plenty of ways to get "streaming" content onto your device without having to stream over the actual connected Wifi, you just have to plan in advance.

Also, I'm pretty sure that some international business class seats have video connections to the IFE, but not sure about which airlines or what kind of cable/device you need.

But I think these are separate questions. Seems OP didn't want to have to carry his own IFE device.
I do download Amazon and Netflix stuff to my IPAD. But if I'm on a long flight I don't want to deal with my Ipad running out of power or plugging in it, especially on international in J and the IFE screen is a lot easier to watch during a meal service as well since it doesn't require the tray table to watch like an IPAD or laptop.

​​​​​​
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
The very old screens that have a round plug that looks similar to a PS2 port but with more pins was the old way to hook up an iPod (this the old click wheel) using a 30 pin to that round port adapter).

AFAIK, Apple never ended up selling the cable so you had to make your own and it didn't work very well at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/co...or_on_a_plane/

I am sure once it is reintroduced it will have a much more elegant user interface
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:21 pm

Some existing IFE have USB ports for charging, and support loading video files from usb (but you run into the crapshoot of codec/container support)

Ana newest plane (new 212) have HDMI inputs in F and J , and very large HD screens too (HDMI currently inop for some reason)

43" 4k for F, 24" 4k for J

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/servicei...300er_new.html

Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Some existing IFE have USB ports for charging, and support loading video files from usb (but you run into the crapshoot of codec/container support)

Ana newest plane (new 212) have HDMI inputs in F and J , and very large HD screens too (HDMI currently inop for some reason)

43" 4k for F, 24" 4k for J

Saw this capability on a recent AF flight (777-300), but, as you cautioned, couldn't get it to work.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Personally, I’m just glad Delta hasn’t ripped out the screens to begin with, as other carriers have.
I could go either way on it. Never fails a few times a year I get someone playing a game on it. So basically they tap the back of my head for hours. I would gladly give up the screens to get rid of the games but my flight is all I use the screen for. I bring my own ipad.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
I was recently on a premium bus in Korea, which offers angled flat seats and in seat screens similiar to an airplane. They allowed you to cast/mirror your phones screen. I was able to watch my downloaded movies for the ride. This is what airlines need...
rickg523 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by pmiranda
This would be pretty great, but I've never seen that feature in a seatback unit... My phone is loaded with Amazon Prime, and I don't really want to carry a tablet.
Maybe in the days of analog TV I think I saw some entertainment units with S-video jacks, but who knows if they actually worked.
A couple of the bigger carriers have this in business class, though I think it's more intended for business travellers - they have an HDMI in port so you can plug your laptop into the IFE screen. Pretty sure ANA has this in their new configuration.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alex Huerta
A couple of the bigger carriers have this in business class, though I think it's more intended for business travellers - they have an HDMI in port so you can plug your laptop into the IFE screen.
Hmmm well that makes literally zero sense. 🤔

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.