Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can you stream your own content on the seat back screen?

Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Can you stream your own content such as Netflix on the seat back screen if you buy the WiFi daily pass? Or do you need to have your own device? Is there a web browser?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Own device as far as I know.

Also it is best to download what you want to watch prior to the flight to your own device and not rely on the in plane internet.
Gig103 and ijgordon like this.

Last edited by apodo77; Jan 31, 2020 at 11:11 am
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by rjack22
Can you stream your own content such as Netflix on the seat back screen if you buy the WiFi daily pass? Or do you need to have your own device? Is there a web browser?
There is no way to access any additional content or web browse from the seat back screens.

That's what we need...Ethel Pat just got an email to claim her lottery prize and now the whole plane has malware!
stooge likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:21 am

This would be pretty great, but I've never seen that feature in a seatback unit... My phone is loaded with Amazon Prime, and I don't really want to carry a tablet.
Maybe in the days of analog TV I think I saw some entertainment units with S-video jacks, but who knows if they actually worked.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
It would be really cool if they could offer something like Apple Car Play, but a slightly modified version that allowed video apps
MikeNYC1 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
It would be really cool if they could offer something like Apple Car Play, but a slightly modified version that allowed video apps
Personally, Im just glad Delta hasnt ripped out the screens to begin with, as other carriers have.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Personally, Im just glad Delta hasnt ripped out the screens to begin with, as other carriers have.
Right?
Lets not get too greedy.
melissaru likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:37 am

During the CES keynote this feature was briefly mentioned. I'd imagine they will eventually have something similar to Apple CarPlay where you can stream from your own device to the screen.
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by apodo77
Also it is best to download what you want to watch prior to the flight to your own device and not rely on the in plane internet.
In terms of lack of consideration to others, I put "streaming HD video over inflight wifi" just a notch below voice calls.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:42 am

Note CarPlay doesn't support all video apps. Hopefully that will change and "auto/air adapter" will take on a 21st-century definition
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pmiranda
Note CarPlay doesn't support all video apps. Hopefully that will change and "auto/air adapter" will take on a 21st-century definition

Does CapPlay support any video apps? I don't it does on my car.

They could offer "SkyPlay" which would enable video apps but disable maps,phone/messaging (I would not want my messages displayed on the screen), etc.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Streaming my personal device (not off netflix just something I've downloaded) to the seatback TV would be fantastic! I'd totally download a special app to do that, like Amazon Fire & Roku support.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:19 pm

please dont be the type of person who tries to stream content on in-air wifi, possibly ruining the wifi for everyone, but definitely for yourself.
MEABFlyer, hhdl and laurinky like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by mctaste
please dont be the type of person who tries to stream content on in-air wifi, possibly ruining the wifi for everyone, but definitely for yourself.
The limitation on in-flight internet speeds is not the wifi system itself on the planes, rather the sat or ATG system bandwidth. I read this thread that content pre-loaded onto a personal device (i.e., requiring no internet connection) would be streamed to the seatback screen.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
In terms of lack of consideration to others, I put "streaming HD video over inflight wifi" just a notch below voice calls.
It depends on the version of Wifi installed.

Gogo promotes the high speed (streaming as it is called) Wifi as good for video. The regular speed (normally called surfing) isn't. The Wifi on regionals and most mainline international aircraft don't have the high speed and thus blocks sites such as YouTube.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.