Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lazy F FA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by cmd320
I have had a number of instances on DL where I have rung the call bell and it has gone unanswered, however I am not sure whether or not the OP rang the call bell in the instance described in this thread as I was not there. Perhaps they could shed some light on that.
Have you reported these service failures?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:34 am

As an FA, the criticism is valid. I appreciate the posters who point out that the call light was a valid option and I agree. However, I would be embarrassed as a flight leader on this flight.

For the record - A PDB should always be attempted, even in a delay scenario. (It’s not hard to do PDB a during boarding without disrupting boarding traffic. It just takes awareness of dropping the drinks while the line is backed up so when you release the waiting passengers at the boarding door, they should end up in the aisle queue without adding additional time to their wait to the seat. If that makes sense?)

From the OPs post it doesn’t say if catering was onboard during boarding so I can’t comment on his flight, but that’s the one scenario that makes it nearly impossible to do a PDB. in an on time, catered, scenario this would be very disappointing.

The Delta standard is that the Flight Leader should pass every 10-15 minutes in FC conditions permitting. I tend to do that for the first 45 minutes to hour and adjust up or down depending on the number of requests and feel of the cabin. I don’t want to be overwhelming, but I don’t want to be absent either. That can be a weird line to walk sometimes so don’t hesitate to hit the call light if necessary. Also the FC FA helps the main cabin with trash and coffee during their services so that can extend their absence - but should never be longer than 10-20 minutes.
Spiff, Taz, MSPeconomist and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
While not the best service, what OP describes doesn't seem worth wasting air over. If someone is really this distressed about going two hours with only one drink AND can't bring themselves to just ask for a second drink, that seems like a different issue.

Originally Posted by josephstern
Can’t really blame the FA for the brand of bottled water.
Also, I actually like Dasani.

Originally Posted by Moyerclan
I may have said this once before, or in a different thread, but once on the short flight from AMS to LGW, the KLM FA walked down the middle of the aisle with a tray of sandwiches (halved, in a simple cardboard like holder you'd get french fries in) and your choice was (I believe) shrimp salad or egg salad and a napkin. It was absolutely the best egg salad I've eaten. No fussy plastic wrap. Then IIRC cups of coffee or cola. Then a fast trash pick up before landing.

It was perfect for such a short flight.
I also like the little KLM sandwiches. IIRC they are served in coach, also. Quick, simple, tasty.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 7:07 am

I understand feeling a bit let down. Though I like the water.

I was really excited to take delta to Vegas in September. I only fly twice a year or so and book on price and schedule (always in F) since I don’t have status. Last 2 trips on AA. I remember delta having the best service and the flight out is my favorite because of the anticipation and haven’t lost any $ yet. Short hop to ATL fabulous service for less than an hour. ATL-LAS was a huge let down. We did get PDB and lunch but rarely saw anyone during the rest of the almost 4 hr flight. As soon as the lunch was cleared they turned the lights off and huddled in the galley. It was 2 pm not 2 am! I got up several times to ask for a refill and actually ate my own snacks. I wrote to delta when I returned and did get a reply a few months later along with 8k miles. I appreciated the apology, and I didn’t let the disappointment dampen my trip at all but it really was a let down. The return flight was great so I figured it was a crew having a bad day.

I’m currently booked on RT D1 flight to Europe and again have high expectations that I hope are met.
zitsky likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:49 am

I notice in complaints about gate agents, ticket agents, phone agents, or even hotel front desk agents, people universally note that the agent was "rude" whenever they have a complaint about not getting an upgrade or free wifi or whatever, it's just transparently hyperbole and I basically just tune out the entire complaint whenever I see it.

With FAs, it's basically the same, lots of "rude" notes when someone is complaining about some other issue, except about half the time the hyperbole is about the FAs chatting too much. It's apparently the worst thing an FA can do. Deeply, deeply offensive behavior.

Come on, guys. This stuff is just obviously ridiculous and it makes your argument weaker.
Adam1222 and gooselee like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I notice in complaints about gate agents, ticket agents, phone agents, or even hotel front desk agents, people universally note that the agent was "rude" whenever they have a complaint about not getting an upgrade or free wifi or whatever, it's just transparently hyperbole and I basically just tune out the entire complaint whenever I see it.

With FAs, it's basically the same, lots of "rude" notes when someone is complaining about some other issue, except about half the time the hyperbole is about the FAs chatting too much. It's apparently the worst thing an FA can do. Deeply, deeply offensive behavior.

Come on, guys. This stuff is just obviously ridiculous and it makes your argument weaker.
Not often at DL, but at AA it’s very common to have the FAs charting in the galley rather than providing service (which happens to be their job). Chat as much as you want, I don’t really care, just make sure you’re getting your job done. When you aren’t, customers are going to complain, it’s that simple and that’s how it really should work.

For those saying this is a one off issue and not really worth talking about, I disagree. The problem is that if this behavior takes hold and starts to become more widespread, you end up with a product like AA’s where you never know what you’re getting when your board the plane.
miles4CDG and readywhenyouare like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I’ve had this happen twice times in the last 6 weeks or so on Skywest (both SJC-SEA). A few days ago the FA, did the drink and basket run, then went and closed the curtain for the rest of the flight. There wasn’t even paper towel in the lav. my seat power didn’t work (I actually needed power). Not really a great flight.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:25 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

The OPS argument was not about rudeness, rather perceived lack of service for a service oriented product of flying FC.

As for rudeness: If there is lack of service and the FA is chatting, one by reasoning would assume the FA have time to chat, but not provide customer service related tasks. This will only amplify any perceived issues, and can come off as rude or whichever subjective term for other customers.

An analogy would be a wait staff has time to chat with coworkers at a restaurant and doesn’t follow up on your dinning table while you are waiting for a refill of your beverage. Would you argue this is acceptable and expected customer service for a paid dinner? The wait staff will be perceived as being rude as they rather chat with coworkers and not take care of customers. Somehow being on a flight makes Subpar customer service acceptable.

The FlyerTalk community can put up with bad subpar customer service due to the amount of traveling experience, but this doesn’t excuse perceived bad customer service. When lots of people are saying the same thing such as “rude”, perhaps it’s time to look at yourself in the mirror and not blame the people saying it. Your perceived customer service is lacking and resolution is viewed as being “rude.”
miles4CDG and readywhenyouare like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jjava
I’ve had this happen twice times in the last 6 weeks or so on Skywest (both SJC-SEA). A few days ago the FA, did the drink and basket run, then went and closed the curtain for the rest of the flight. There wasn’t even paper towel in the lav. my seat power didn’t work (I actually needed power). Not really a great flight.
The flight attendant likely wasn't responsible for your inseat power issue. Just like the FA wasn't responsible for serving what the OP believes to be a subpar water brand.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam1222
The flight attendant likely wasn't responsible for your inseat power issue. Just like the FA wasn't responsible for serving what the OP believes to be a subpar water brand.
No, however often the FA can reset the system and then it will work again.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by wchinchen
An analogy would be a wait staff has time to chat with coworkers at a restaurant and doesn’t follow up on your dinning table while you are waiting for a refill of your beverage. Would you argue this is acceptable and expected customer service for a paid dinner?
Have you ever had a conversation with your coworkers while you're at the office?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:00 pm

I mean, in a restaurant, you could at least plausibly make an argument that you have somewhere to be. In an airplane, it's not like you're about to unexpectedly have to dash out to meet someone.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Here's one I hadn't run across before...

Long after the pilots were finished with the lav the "spare" FA continued to staff the barricade until at last the FA from F emerged from the cockpit. I made reference to it when the lav finally became available, to which she reminded me I could have used the back along with a cryptic remark about "a situation" there (cockpit). I inferred she and the pilots got carried away chatting/gossiping.

Otherwise, the service was OK at first, but after I initial drinks and basket pass on redeye, she seemed to lose interest in pax.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you ever had a conversation with your coworkers while you're at the office?
At the office and in the front of the plane with customers are different. FAs are front line customer service employees. Very different from you or I sitting in our company’s offices chatting with coworkers.
miles4CDG likes this.

Last edited by cmd320; Jan 12, 2020 at 3:24 pm
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:22 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Sure, I have conversations with my coworkers and also make sure I'm providing the best customer service at the same time. If the chatting outweigh the customer service gestures, that's when things go wrong and the perception of the customers become negative. Bottomline is, no one will care what the FA does in the galley (talk, play video games, punch a carrot, build pyramids out of glasses, do hand stands, <insert irrelevant action>), as long as the perceived service is provided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.