Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

De-icing (of my plane only) at SEA on Sunday when it was 44 degrees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

De-icing (of my plane only) at SEA on Sunday when it was 44 degrees

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I’m sitting in SJC waiting for ice to melt on the wings while every other plane is taking off. So glad Compass is going to go away.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
44 degrees at SEA right now and we are deicing because the aircraft came from FAI. There’s always a reason.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I’m sitting in SJC waiting for ice to melt on the wings while every other plane is taking off. So glad Compass is going to go away.
All it takes is that plane flying through clouds when landing while others didn't.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
All it takes is that plane flying through clouds when landing while others didn't.
It was clear and the plane RON.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: Delta PM
why are we complaining about de-icing? With how incredibly expensive it is to de/anti-ice a plane, they aren't just doing it for their own enjoyment.

I'd much rather de-ice, and not "need" it, than the other way around.
flyerCO, bubbashow and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by djmodifyd
why are we complaining about de-icing? With how incredibly expensive it is to de/anti-ice a plane, they aren't just doing it for their own enjoyment.

I'd much rather de-ice, and not "need" it, than the other way around.
110% agree. I piloted a small plane once and had ice buildup. We got routed for landing through the very few clouds on area. In 5 minutes a wing with no ice had developed severe icing and you could tell the degradation in operating abilities.

Never underestimate ice. It builds quickly and effects flight greatly. RON doesn't mean ice wont build up on the wing or that itll melt. One of the first things you learn is that being just above freezing for the air temperature doesn't mean ice won't develop. Actually the more extreme the low is the better. Colder air holds less moisture, at a point not enough to form ice. It's why when the sky is clear in winter you know it's going to be frigid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.