FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - De-icing (of my plane only) at SEA on Sunday when it was 44 degrees
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:05 am
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by djmodifyd
why are we complaining about de-icing? With how incredibly expensive it is to de/anti-ice a plane, they aren't just doing it for their own enjoyment.

I'd much rather de-ice, and not "need" it, than the other way around.
110% agree. I piloted a small plane once and had ice buildup. We got routed for landing through the very few clouds on area. In 5 minutes a wing with no ice had developed severe icing and you could tell the degradation in operating abilities.

Never underestimate ice. It builds quickly and effects flight greatly. RON doesn't mean ice wont build up on the wing or that itll melt. One of the first things you learn is that being just above freezing for the air temperature doesn't mean ice won't develop. Actually the more extreme the low is the better. Colder air holds less moisture, at a point not enough to form ice. It's why when the sky is clear in winter you know it's going to be frigid.