Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite status question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ekozie
Careful with using miles. Award tickets and Miles+Cash tickets don't receive MQMs. OTOH, if you have the Delta Amex card and redeem on the checkout page with Pay with Miles, you'll still get MQMs, but I believe that is only in 5000 mile increments.
OP is looking for segments, not MQM's, but the same holds true -- no MQS for Award or Miles+Cash tickets. OP, would be helpful to know what the 19K miles were for?

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 27, 2019 at 7:31 pm
Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
I was in a similar situation recently, although I was going to be short of Platinum by about $150 MQDs as opposed to segments. I ended up taking a SEA-PDX-SEA mileage run for $200 and was home before lunch!

I'll actually be crossing the PM threshold tomorrow morning at around 7AM, when my SEA-JFK flight touches down. D1 seats on a 752; not a bad way to spend 5 or so hours on a redeye transcon!
KevTN likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
OP is looking for segments, not MQM's, but the same holds true -- no MQS for Award or Miles+Cash tickets. OP, would be helpful to know what the 19K miles were for?
Also, how does one get 19K "miles" between CHA and ATL unless OP is confusing MQMs and RDMs.

AFAIK OP needs 6 SEGMENTS to qualify and already has satisfied the MQD requirement for PM.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Also, how does one get 19K "miles" between CHA and ATL unless OP is confusing MQMs and RDMs.

AFAIK OP needs 6 SEGMENTS to qualify and already has satisfied the MQD requirement for PM.
It seems likely that OP meant that 19K miles were spent as part of the 3 roundtrips to earn status (not that 19K miles will be earned). If these were for an award ticket (there are 19K roundtrip BE awards on this route), they will not count towards MQS. Pay with miles tickets count towards status, but can only be done in 5K increments which means it couldn't have been a PWM ticket. So this sounds very much like it was an award ticket and, if so, OP will end up 2 MQS short. I suppose the 19K could have been for an FCM offer, but it seems unlikely someone would upgrade such a short segment.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
It seems likely that OP meant that 19K miles were spent as part of the 3 roundtrips to earn status (not that 19K miles will be earned). If these were for an award ticket (there are 19K roundtrip BE awards on this route), they will not count towards MQS. Pay with miles tickets count towards status, but can only be done in 5K increments which means it couldn't have been a PWM ticket. So this sounds very much like it was an award ticket and, if so, OP will end up 2 MQS short. I suppose the 19K could have been for an FCM offer, but it seems unlikely someone would upgrade such a short segment.
Last I looked, most of the ATL-CHA segments are on CR2s anyway, so no upgrade.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 12:03 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Last I looked, most of the ATL-CHA segments are on CR2s anyway, so no upgrade.
Voluntarily adding 6 CR2 segments for a mileage run is quite some dedication!
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Careful with using miles. Award tickets and Miles+Cash tickets don't receive MQMs. OTOH, if you have the Delta Amex card and redeem on the checkout page with Pay with Miles, you'll still get MQMs, but I believe that is only in 5000 mile increments.
‘Thanks. I just needed 6 segments to get to platinum.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:09 am
Original Poster

the 19k were for round trip from CHA-ATL.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryw
Voluntarily adding 6 CR2 segments for a mileage run is quite some dedication!
lol it is a 21-28min flight each way.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KevTN
the 19k were for round trip from CHA-ATL.
So did you use miles to pay for the ticket?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So did you use miles to pay for the ticket?
Yes for one round trip as I still will receive credit for segments that I needed.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KevTN
Yes for one round trip as I still will receive credit for segments that I needed.
Unfortunately, you will not receive segment credit for this trip. Award tickets are not eligible for either mileage (MQM) or segment (MQS) accrual.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles.../program-rules

SkyMiles credit (inclusive of mileage, MQMs, MQSs, and MQDs) will not be given for the following:
  • Free tickets of any kind, including without limitation SkyMiles Award Tickets.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 28, 2019 at 6:59 am
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, you will not receive segment credit for this trip. Award tickets are not eligible for either mileage (MQM) or segment (MQS) accrual.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles.../program-rules

SkyMiles credit (inclusive of mileage, MQMs, MQSs, and MQDs) will not be given for the following:
  • Free tickets of any kind, including without limitation SkyMiles Award Tickets.
You are correct! For the whole story:

Called yesterday booked trips was told by the operator and supervisor the SkyMiles would go towards segments. I booked two round trips for sunday and one for monday. When I checked my delta app this morning there were three round trips for Sunday and one for Monday.

Called Delta to try to 'fix' the segment issue. While speaking with the current operator she informed me the SkyMile trip would not go to segments. Explained to her what was told to me by both the previous operator and supervisor. I asked her to cancel my segments and just refund the money and miles due to misinformation. She did step up and said that while we were on the phone that she will write an exception on my behalf due to the misinformation. She said she could not guarantee anything but she hopes due to the effort I made based on the information I was given they would make an exception.

I'm not holding my breath but at least all hope isn't loss yet. Why didn't I buy that third segment was due to Christmas and some other bills I just didn't think it wise to jump the price from 650 to almost 1000.

I will hear something within the next couple of weeks. I will update as soon as I hear something.

I hope that everyone has a Happy New Year.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
If you booked the flights yesterday, you should be able to cancel for free under Risk Free Cancellation. Does the 72 hour no award changes rule supersede that? I didn’t think so, but I could definitely be mistaken.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattp1987
If you booked the flights yesterday, you should be able to cancel for free under Risk Free Cancellation. Does the 72 hour no award changes rule supersede that? I didn’t think so, but I could definitely be mistaken.
Yes they let me cancel without pentalty even with one round trip being Basic.

Last edited by KevTN; Dec 28, 2019 at 3:55 pm Reason: update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.