Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Trying to get change fee negotiated down

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to get change fee negotiated down

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
book the flight that you want to take before it gets even more expensive, and hope for a weather waiver or schedule change that will allow you to cancel your original flight for a full refund ... if no weather waiver is in the cards in the last ~12 hours before scheduled departure, cancel the reservation anyway; when you try to apply the e-credit to a future booking, the system will deduct the $200 fee
Interesting. United makes you pay with new money. I guess Delta wins this one too.
DiverDave and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jackvogt
What is this "black marks" stuff? Having a change fee waived doesn't count against you does it?
There are reports that people have been denied fee waivers or other changes on the basis that there is a note on their account not to extend further "one time" exceptions.

Whether those people have done this 3 times or 30 is not known, not is it clear that it always occurs.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kjnangre
If you get the change fee waived 10 times, each time because your grandma died, they might start to get suspicious about how many times the same person can die. An exaggeration, of course. But in general, if you have a history of asking for special exceptions due to extenuating circumstances, you might well get a note in your file.
Literally a DL Comms rep recently joked “Just make sure it isn’t the fifth time you tell us your beloved grandmother has died”

I think the letter has people on edge but even if real, it’s for extreme cases. Everyone else can operate as normal
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
This only works when you are upgrading the same flights that you are currently on. When upgrading to a different flight, the standard $200 change fee + difference in fare still apply.
Maybe status comes into play but I've had DL waive the change fee when upgrading from Y to F and moving to a different flight (same day) where the buy-up was cheaper than the buy-up on my current flight. I've also had AA do it where I had no status at the time. YMMV.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
Back to the topic, I have had Delta waive change fees twice (never a difference in fare though) by briefly explaining the situation and being blunt about asking for a waiver. I’m always incredibly friendly in good times and during bad (IRROPS, etc.) It goes a long way. Agents are people too and I find with most airlines that they’ll bend the rules when the request is succinct, clearly understandable, and reasonable. I think reasonable is the key word.
This. As someone who has worked in customer service for almost 10 years, I know how far just being nice can go. I never take anything personally, but if a customer is rude off the bat, I will make little effort to help them. I'm sure the DL phone reps have a similar mentality. Take a second and look at the situation from the CS rep's perspective; what kind of behavior from a pax would make you more likely to help them?
geckoflyer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Can I just add, Delta does the humanitarian thing very well? I've had two instances where they waived the change fee. One involved a funeral. The other was a Major Medical Incident while I was on the road, and was told by the doctor in no uncertain terms that I would be traveling home as soon as I was somewhat stable, and would not be continuing along my planned itinerary. Not only did Delta waive the change fee, they waived the (not insignificant) price difference to rewrite my ticket to get me straight home.

Yes, they're a business and they have fees and upcharges. But during one of the scariest episodes of my life, they went above and beyond what I could reasonably have expected.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Maybe status comes into play but I've had DL waive the change fee when upgrading from Y to F and moving to a different flight (same day) where the buy-up was cheaper than the buy-up on my current flight. I've also had AA do it where I had no status at the time. YMMV.
Same. Once on a domestic trip where I even got the flight pushed back to the next day without the change fee, and once on an international award trip within 72 hours where I got my routing changed to different same day flights. In the second case, my primary purpose for the change was in fact upgrading, but the new routing saved me about 5 hours.

Aside from that though, I got numerous waivers of change fees when I wanted to change due to personal reasons. Perhaps this was partly because I also paid many change fees for business reasons, so it’s not like I was asking for a waiver for the majority of my changes. There were a few times where the rep said they could reduce the change fee but not waive it entirely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.