Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta FAs Recognizing Passengers By Name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium

Not sure how prevalent this is, but currently flying LAX-JFK in C+, and when the drinks came around the FAs phone had a passenger listing on it, and the greeted myself and my seat mate by name and asked each of us what we’d like to drink. I thought this was a nice touch, and not over the top.

About an hour later I saw the FAs walking through C+, looking at their phones and the row numbers, and about 10 minutes after that, one of the FAs came to me (and a handful of others) and said that Delta wanted to personally thank me for flying Delta and wanted to know if there was anything else they could get me. While a nice touch, it was admittedly VERY awkward for both of us. In D1, perhaps, but personally I think this is strange in the other cabins.

The only other time I got such a personal reach out was even more awkward — I was flying with a friend that I used to work with on a regional and the first class FA came back and did something similar, and thanked me for all of the business travel I did. While on the surface, a very nice gesture, it was downright embarrassing sitting next to by buddy who paid for his C+ upgrade. We laughed it off, but I’m more of a “fly under the radar” type.

Wonder what others think of this — my vote is thumbs-up on the name recognition with the drink service, but I’d gladly skip the individual recognition . Speaking of drinks, I headed back to find myself another Woodford...
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Had the same FA in F twice in a week. Both times she memorized everyone's (all 12 seats full) last names and referred to everyone as Mr/Ms X the whole flight. She also thanked everyone for flying Delta and shook our hands.

Even in F it felt awkward.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:18 pm

The FAs that do this also happen to be the same FAs that put effort into their work and care about their jobs, rather than just going through the motions as many do. Every time I have had this happen, I have had an outstanding crew and most of the time, they have done other good deeds (whether it be for me or others) that I thought worthy of writing in compliments for. I think it helps supplement a culture of striving to do more than the minimum, because people tend to care more about other people that have a name attached to them rather than just being known as seat 10A. I am 100% in support of it and hope it continues. The only time I have seen an awkward moment with this was when the person sitting next to me was upset with the FA who thanked her PM husband, but not her (she was the grumpy type that would complain about anything though).
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; HH Diamond; Avis Preferred plus
Most of the time I can tell they are just reading off the tablet - and I am ok with that. Earlier this week the FA called me the wrong name...I said "no" and he mumbled something about "oh yeah - someone else was sitting there - I got ya, I got ya" but I noticed he never came back with my real name. I was the only F upgrade on the flight so there could have been something odd, but he was clearly uncomfortable with the situation. And during the thanks for flying with us greetings he was using names until he came to me and reverted to the generic greeting. It's not his fault but the technology clearly failed him...
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bloc0102
Had the same FA in F twice in a week. Both times she memorized everyone's (all 12 seats full) last names and referred to everyone as Mr/Ms X the whole flight. She also thanked everyone for flying Delta and shook our hands.

That is impressive.
The shaking hands thing maybe awkward, but the memorization and Mr/Mrs X I would say is exceptional service.
bloc0102 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
I completed a Platinum challenge and the FA came over and recognized me on the accomplishment. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I usually appreciate it, but on a recent transcontinental, the FA called everyone Mr. or Ms. X, but did so pretty loudly, so not just my seat mate (who I was not flying with) but much of the cabin could hear my last name (and I could hear everyone else's). While I appreciate the personal touch, I think that a bit of discretion especially for more private people may have been appreciated....
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by The Situation
The FAs that do this also happen to be the same FAs that put effort into their work and care about their jobs, rather than just going through the motions as many do. Every time I have had this happen, I have had an outstanding crew and most of the time, they have done other good deeds (whether it be for me or others) that I thought worthy of writing in compliments for. I think it helps supplement a culture of striving to do more than the minimum, because people tend to care more about other people that have a name attached to them rather than just being known as seat 10A. I am 100% in support of it and hope it continues. The only time I have seen an awkward moment with this was when the person sitting next to me was upset with the FA who thanked her PM husband, but not her (she was the grumpy type that would complain about anything though).
I gave a jwd to an fa who did this recently. I felt it was genuine, and was nice (for once) to have a touch of personal recogniton.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bloc0102

There are a few FAs who make it into personal challenges for themselves to memorize the names. They view it as a little game and it helps to keep them interested in their jobs when otherwise many years of doing the same thing could get a bit boring. Good for them for setting goals and continuing to grow, especially when it almost always means excellent service overall.
stormlover, trooper, ND76 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I've noticed this in both F/D1 and C+, and considered it a nice touch. It's fine if other people near me (or at the end of the main cabin) hear my last name, I don't think people pay attention to things like that anyway (I certainly don't).

Then again, my mailbox has my last name on it.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:24 pm

Fa told me that they are given certain passengers on each flight to pay extra attention to. I see no real reason that I deserve extra attention other than my status which isn’t really that unique so maybe they just pick a few on a flight or maybe they pick diamonds that buy first!!! They seem to be given additional information as she said thank you for being on your whatever number delta flight this year
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love google stalking people who leave their boarding passes, or a magazine with the address label on, in plain view.
Not sure how helpful just a last name is, but sometimes it may not be hard to pick up on a first name, especially if the pax is travelling with a companion.

Just call me "sir".
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
On a trip that I took with my wife earlier this year, the purser came up to us and told us that we were her "heavy metal" passengers (at the time I was DM and my wife was and still is a PM). She was terrific throughout the flight and we gave her a JWD certificate.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Had an odd experience with this recently, though not so nice. Was in paid F and the lead FA was doing PDB's and thanked 1B for being a Platinum, and also a few other Plat members behind me but just asked for my drink by name. Then a bit later thank 1D for being a Plat too, while I was sitting there as a DM. Really no big deal in the scheme of the world, but odd to thank your PM's and not your DM in the first row. No one is perfect, let alone the technology the FA's are using, but odd everyone else got it. On the other end, I called into the DM line and some of the first words out of the agent were " Wow, thanks for spending so much with us last year!", which was nice I thought.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by whooperatw
Had an odd experience with this recently, though not so nice. Was in paid F and the lead FA was doing PDB's and thanked 1B for being a Platinum, and also a few other Plat members behind me but just asked for my drink by name. Then a bit later thank 1D for being a Plat too, while I was sitting there as a DM. Really no big deal in the scheme of the world, but odd to thank your PM's and not your DM in the first row. No one is perfect, let alone the technology the FA's are using, but odd everyone else got it. On the other end, I called into the DM line and some of the first words out of the agent were " Wow, thanks for spending so much with us last year!", which was nice I thought.
I suspect this is not an uncommon occurrence — FAs have thanked everyone around me before but not me (PM).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.