FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Name that stain... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1996515-name-stain.html)

WillBarrett_68 Nov 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation (Post 31766652)
The aircraft are filthy not due to a lack of time, but because the cleaning crews are lazy and DL does not hold them accountable.

It's one or the other. It's not "laziness" to meet expectations. Giving a client more than they paid for is a great way to go broke.

mikesyr18 Nov 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 31765525)
Were you expecting her to clean it up for you?

Let's see...

Paying customer in first class....

Employee....

The FA should be expected to clean it up.

bitterproffit Nov 22, 2019 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18 (Post 31767426)
Let's see...

Paying customer in first class....

Employee....

The FA should be expected to clean it up.

why not the pilot? They are employees too. Or is it a gender thing?

When airlines decide to cut costs and labor heads by cutting back on cleaning during turns, the customer service suffers. Instead of expecting the females employees to do it because I’m the customer, I clean it myself and express my dissatisfaction to the company in surveys and notes and ultimately where I decide to give my business.

I would never assume it’s the flight attendant’s job to clean where the cleaning crew missed. But that’s me. I’m gonna clean my area anyway.

mikesyr18 Nov 22, 2019 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 31767490)
why not the pilot? They are employees too. Or is it a gender thing?

...Instead of expecting the females employees to do it because I’m the customer, I clean it myself and express my dissatisfaction to the company in surveys and notes and ultimately where I decide to give my business.

I would never assume it’s the flight attendant’s job to clean where the cleaning crew missed. But that’s me. I’m gonna clean my area anyway.

Because pilots fly the plane. FA's work in the cabin.

Also, there are plenty of male FA's so don't pull the politically correct garbage -- nobody wants to read it.

bitterproffit Nov 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18 (Post 31767530)
Because pilots fly the plane. FA's work in the cabin.

Also, there are plenty of male FA's so don't pull the politically correct garbage -- nobody wants to read it.

well, you don’t want to read it but the attitude that you paid for first class so the help should clean up your space because you paid cash sounded pretty much like garbage as well.

it’s not their job simply because they are on this side of the door. Lol.

Lomapaseo Nov 22, 2019 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by sonkie23 (Post 31765479)
So pleased to have paid for seat 2D from DEN to LGA to be welcomed by the following at my seat.

I pointed it out to the FA who came back and handed my a pile of little wipe packs like the ones you get a BBQ restaurant to clean sticky fingers. It was definitely not my expectation that I would be the one to clean what was hopefully a coffee stain but certainly could've been something else far worse.

She said she would not touch it and that it was too late to get the cleaning crew back on a flight that was already quite delayed.

How does someone miss this? It's pretty disgusting. And disappointing.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...03147e88c1.jpg

In keeping with the thread title "Name that Stain". It would help if the pic was wider showing other features. There is something odd about the flow. If the stain was created on a near vertical surface and of a thin liquid the path of the drops should be mostly vertical and not off to the side before turning. Is it possible that the seat feature was not vertical when the stain occured? If so the liquid could have originated from another surface not visible in the picture and/or the seat position was changed while the liquid was still flowing.

If the latter it could be a "coke" product from a plastic cup in a seat pocket and a simple taste would have confirmed.it

jrl767 Nov 22, 2019 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo (Post 31767684)
... the liquid could have originated from another surface not visible in the picture and/or the seat position was changed while the liquid was still flowing.

If the latter it could be a "coke" product from a plastic cup in a seat pocket and a simple taste would have confirmed.it

:o :confused: :rolleyes: I for one wouldn’t taste anything spilled on an airline seat, even if I had spilled it

flyupfrnt Nov 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Not taking sides. Looks like adhesive or glue of some kind to me though.

swingaling Nov 22, 2019 9:24 pm

What did it taste like?

Frankly, not that uncommon. We've all heard the horror stories of urine soaked seat cushions. Last year I found a lightly used sick bag (that appeared unused) in my seat pocket, though I didn't realize it was used until I'd put my hand in it...

Here's what the space between the J seat and fuselage on an AA A330 looked like on a flight last year.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...17ab4bb5_h.jpg

Tine Rod Nov 22, 2019 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 31767543)
well, you don’t want to read it but the attitude that you paid for first class so the help should clean up your space because you paid cash sounded pretty much like garbage as well.

it’s not their job simply because they are on this side of the door. Lol.

But what does that have to do with gender. You just inferred that the assumption is that pilots are males and FAs are females. The irony is too strong here.

fotographer Nov 23, 2019 4:14 am

I thought it thread was about the mess on planes, and not the gender thing.

enough with the politically correct stuff.... both men and women work in the same fields and both can hold the same jobs.
I am yet to see jobs that are gender specific. (heck I could be wrong)
now that over.. time for me to go get my coffee...

bitterproffit Nov 23, 2019 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Tine Rod (Post 31767868)
But what does that have to do with gender. You just inferred that the assumption is that pilots are males and FAs are females. The irony is too strong here.

If you read carefully, I didn't infer, I asked.

Its not a gender thing. But the poster said that the FA should clean it up because they were an EMPLOYEE and the passenger was a CUSTOMER.

So, I simply asked why not ANY EMPLOYEE, if you are going to operate on the assumption that EMPLOYEES should always clean up after CUSTOMERS, why not the pilot?

Sorry to muddle the discussion with gender. It just seemed like an odd distinction the poster was making. Not sure where the irony was.

jghassell Nov 23, 2019 5:42 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 31767543)
the attitude that you paid for first class so the help should clean up your space because you paid cash sounded pretty much like garbage

This mentality is incomprehensible to me. When you enter a hotel, do you request an uncleaned room to check in to? If they gave you an uncleaned room, and you went to complain, and they gave you some paper towels and said sorry, would you clean it yourself?

What other businesses expect customers to clean the interiors of their locations? What other customers expect that they should clean the interiors of businesses?

And no, the captain and FO should not be cleaning the cabin, except perhaps after a flight on the ground. They have much more important things to do on the flight deck to prepare for the flight and monitor safety.

WillBarrett_68 Nov 23, 2019 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Tine Rod (Post 31767868)

lol at this stuff, come on, this isn't the riddle of the sphinx here.

All sorts of odious people have figured out that they can fool the simpletons with this plausible deniability baloney, but the fact is that lots of people aren't dullards and can put two and two together.

bitterproffit Nov 23, 2019 5:46 am

Originally Posted by jghassell (Post 31768368)
This mentality is incomprehensible to me. When you enter a hotel, do you request an uncleaned room to check in to? If they gave you an uncleaned room, and you went to complain, and they gave you some paper towels and said sorry, would you clean it yourself?

What other businesses expect customers to clean the interiors of their locations? What other customers expect that they should clean the interiors of businesses?

And no, the captain and FO should not be cleaning the cabin, except perhaps after a flight on the ground. They have much more important things to do on the flight deck to prepare for the flight and monitor safety.

I think we all agree the area should be clean. But, in your hotel example, do you insist the front desk clean the room because they are the first employee you see? Should the passenger had insisted the cleaning crew come back? I just don't know what you do in this case. The plane is dirty, it wasn't cleaned. The airline skimped on cleaning crews during turn arounds. Do you demand the plane be held until the airline version of housekeeping returns? Do you demand the first employee you see clean it up? Or the gate agent, pilot, baggage loaders? Or do you do it yourself and make a note to express your displeasure and maybe move your dollars somewhere else?