Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Have Diamonds Noticed they are lower on the upgrade list recently?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have Diamonds Noticed they are lower on the upgrade list recently?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:34 am

As a PM for legit battlefield upgrades maybe, and for not much available space.

BUT Starting December Last year the D1 OP-UP gods have been smiling down on me for TPAC. I’ve gotten upgrades when all seats showed as unavailable , and I even started getting them on the elusive (to me) Inter-Asia connections. Hope didn’t just jinx myself by acknowledging this string of fortune .
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tine Rod
As a PM for legit battlefield upgrades maybe, and for not much available space.

BUT Starting December Last year the D1 OP-UP gods have been smiling down on me for TPAC. I’ve gotten upgrades when all seats showed as unavailable , and I even started getting them on the elusive (to me) Inter-Asia connections. Hope didn’t just jinx myself by acknowledging this string of fortune .
KE has definitely been known to give OPUPs to DL elites even if KE won't permit DL elites to pick good seats (in paid business class) on their flights.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I bought a V fare on ATL-SJC the day before departure and was instantly upgraded to F. YMMV, but your hyperbole of 10-15 spots lower as a Diamond Medallion is a bit much.
Obviously this depends on the time. Taking an 8 AM flight on a Saturday morning there may be space available for upgrades. I'm talking about a Monday AM flight out of ATL.

And, while I don't want to call "BS" on you, I have flown ATL<->SJC probably about 100 times in the past three years - never on a fare below an H fare but including off days (Tuesday, Saturday, etc) - and I have never, ever received an upgrade before the gate.

And perhaps 15 is gratuitous, but certainly 5-7 is not unreasonable. I went from never getting gate C+ upgrades to getting them with regularity post Reserve.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I would think I should be ahead of them given that I have a C+ ticket and there is one C+ seat left? Most (or all) people who don't have a seat assignment are basic economy.

I really want someone to chime in though on my being 1 out of 20 for an upgrade, yet #8 for a standby on the exact same flight (90 minutes apart).
7 confirmed BE passengers would have priority over you on the standby list awaiting a seat assignment.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
7 confirmed BE passengers would have priority over you on the standby list awaiting a seat assignment.
The problem with this is that if a passenger is listed as standby on a flight, he/she cannot simultaneously be on the upgrade list, which requires that one be confirmed onto the flight. I guess it would be possible for someone to be cleared onto the flight but awaiting a seat assignment and also on the upgrade list, but the person says that he was standby for the flight.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Assuming that it wasn't a basic economy or award ticket, that it was a normal continental48 domestic FC route not ticketed as a codeshare etc., and that no one else was on the same PNR and no companion upgrade was requested, it's extremely unlikely that a DM would be 8 out of 8 on an upgrade list. A DM on a low fare class could be # 8, but there should be lower tier elites on the upgrade list beyond 8, and with 8 there's no question of the full list not being shown.

Was the person previously "upgraded" to C+?
-It was PHX-LAX
-It was a revenue ticket. Usually they are K fares, but I don't recall 100%. The K fare in the LAX-PHX market is refundable and matches the WN anytime fare.
-Might have been a RT, but more likely a OW.
-Likely travel was same day or day after purchase. Certainly purchased less than a week before departure.
-Operated by good 'ole Compass, but was on 006 stock and not a codeshare.
-No one else was on the record, or linked to it, or a companion upgrade of anykind
-Probably had a C+ upgrade, though I don't remember. I say probably because if there wasn't one available I most likely would have booked a FC ticket. If neither were available I would have booked WN and made it home without the typical Compass delays.
- the 8 of 8 was on the app. I'm not sure I've ever seen it cut off. Last I checked the DCA-ATL flight I was booked on earlier this week had 88 people on the upgrade list and they all showed on the app.

8 of 8 as a DM has to be wrong. Did you call or ask an ACS agent to verify that your placement on the list was correct? I was bottom of the list once for JFK-BOS and after I had someone review it, I went to #1 .
-I didn't call. Just figured it was one of those outlier days. Its an hour flight. I'm sure I had a couple of drinks at the really nice skyclub in PHX and was fine however it turned out.

Originally Posted by Zorak
Seems hard to be so confident about that without knowing the route and fare bucket.
-PHX-LAX. I think it was a K fare

Originally Posted by Zorak
That's true, I didn't consider the 8 of 8 total aspect.
-It does seem low, but not absurdly low. Its usually a pretty easy upgrade, so I'd bet a bunch cleared before I booked.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
The problem with this is that if a passenger is listed as standby on a flight, he/she cannot simultaneously be on the upgrade list, which requires that one be confirmed onto the flight. I guess it would be possible for someone to be cleared onto the flight but awaiting a seat assignment and also on the upgrade list, but the person says that he was standby for the flight.
am I the "person" - if so, you missed my message above:

"no no you missed it. I had a confirmed seat on DL999 - SDC to a later flight because my inbound flight was delayed; and then tried to switch back to DL 999, and this time I was put on standby for DL 999. That is why I can relate to both the Upgrade list and standby list. But it's clear now that others had confirmed seats but not seats assigned and that is why I was 8th."
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shukar
This is anecdotal, but last few weeks, I have been consistently below #5 when previously I used to be #1 or #2 as DL DM with Reserve card. I understand that a lot of things can affect the position on UG list, but it has persisted over a number of flights on different days and routes - with no obvious change from behavior on my end . My employer booking agency site always suggests cheapest tickets (not Basic Economy) and I usually buy with 5 to 8 days before the outbound flight.
I do not think it is the formula, but more just less seats. Since I use to rarely be on the list, but with FCM and selling upgrades for 100 bucks, people buying F, etc. A couple of years ago Golds coudl get upgrade on the BNA NYC flight but now I am sometimes getting it at the gate. You can buy Y for 300 or F for 350 - 400.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
There is something wrong with the formula or an error in Delta’s IT system (what a surprise). Whole family traveling on separate award tickets, one DM, one PM, and one GM. The PM was upgraded and the DM wasn’t. It was a 30 min phone call and they upgraded the DM manually, with a fare class OI.

They said they reported the error, but I have a feeling this is happening more frequently.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Schuhfly
There is something wrong with the formula or an error in Delta’s IT system (what a surprise). Whole family traveling on separate award tickets, one DM, one PM, and one GM. The PM was upgraded and the DM wasn’t. It was a 30 min phone call and they upgraded the DM manually, with a fare class OI.

They said they reported the error, but I have a feeling this is happening more frequently.
Did all three of the award tickets cost the same number of miles? (I wonder whether DL could have prioritized by ticket cost of subfare class rather than elite status first.)
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Did all three of the award tickets cost the same number of miles? (I wonder whether DL could have prioritized by ticket cost of subfare class rather than elite status first.)
Even so, status is #1 factor. So a DM should always clear before a PM.

Definitely something wrong with their UG algorithm for sure.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
All were the same number of miles.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:18 am

Even so, status is #1 factor. So a DM should always clear before a PM.

Definitely something wrong with their UG algorithm for sure.
Should of course, but I'm trying to see whether we can diagnose what the problem is beyond the observation that it's not working right.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:18 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bsears4054
Have any other Diamonds noticed a change in their normal upgrade list position? I fly weekly and last hadnful of flights I've been 4-7 on upgrade list whereas normally been 1-3? Just curious if they've changed the algorithm again.
Just adding to the data: As PM and DM, I'm usually 1-2 on the upgrade list, but this month, I've been 4-6 on the upgrade list.

Couple of cofounding factors:
1) my usual flights are HNL to SEA (even as PM, I'm usually number 1 on upgrade list), but they changed the flight schedule to HNL to LAX, thus higher likelihood of more Diamonds.
2) I've added my corporate account number into my tickets.
3) I have no co-branded Delta credit cards.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:28 pm

As we get into the November-December-January period, every day more and more non-DM passengers are now becoming 2020 DMs and DL policy is to recognize this status immediately upon crossing the threshold rather than waiting until February 1. As such, many current 2019 DMs will drop off on February 1.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.