Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Have Diamonds Noticed they are lower on the upgrade list recently?

Have Diamonds Noticed they are lower on the upgrade list recently?

Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
As we get into the November-December-January period, every day more and more non-DM passengers are now becoming 2020 DMs and DL policy is to recognize this status immediately upon crossing the threshold rather than waiting until February 1. As such, many current 2019 DMs will drop off on February 1.
Definitely. This is is always a tough time of year. I'm a Diamond with a Reserve card on a corporate booked B fare for my flight tomorrow and I'm #9 for F and #3 for Comfort+ (although if you exclude RUCs I'm either #3 or #4 for F as well). It's a warzone out there. Might drop farther by tomorrow morning.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
Definitely. This is is always a tough time of year. I'm a Diamond with a Reserve card on a corporate booked B fare for my flight tomorrow and I'm #9 for F and #3 for Comfort+ (although if you exclude RUCs I'm either #3 or #4 for F as well). It's a warzone out there. Might drop farther by tomorrow morning.
Unfortunately - especially at this time of year-WFBF.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Unfortunately - especially at this time of year-WFBF.
I don't WF, I WC+ but unfortunately that's impossible to get.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Even so, status is #1 factor. So a DM should always clear before a PM.

Definitely something wrong with their UG algorithm for sure.
Similarly, heres another riddle from earlier this year. Wife and I are on separate tickets from FL to CA. She was FO I was PM. She bought C+ on all segments of her open jaw ticket CA-DC/ FL-CA and I bought economy (prob not lowest buckets, def wasnt Y/B/M) on my RT. I used RUCs that cleared ahead of time for me on the way out. On the return we applied RUCs from my account for both of us. The FL-MSP segment cleared at application and MSP to CA was waitlisted. A couple days before the flight she cleared on the RUC from MSP to CA. I never did. Never understood how she got the upgrade ahead of me. I would have given it to her anyway so it was probably the net same, but seemed odd. All RUCs were from my account, and apparently they were coded correctly since they were clearing. Just not in the order I expected. The only thing I could guess was in the RUC hierarchy, status doesnt matter and they clear by fare class. I feel like if you call 5 times you get 5 vastly different explanations. so unless there is clearly something off, or its a red-eye/international flight I dont bother.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Similarly, heres another riddle from earlier this year. Wife and I are on separate tickets from FL to CA. She was FO I was PM. She bought C+ on all segments of her open jaw ticket CA-DC/ FL-CA and I bought economy (prob not lowest buckets, def wasnt Y/B/M) on my RT. I used RUCs that cleared ahead of time for me on the way out. On the return we applied RUCs from my account for both of us. The FL-MSP segment cleared at application and MSP to CA was waitlisted. A couple days before the flight she cleared on the RUC from MSP to CA. I never did. Never understood how she got the upgrade ahead of me. I would have given it to her anyway so it was probably the net same, but seemed odd. All RUCs were from my account, and apparently they were coded correctly since they were clearing. Just not in the order I expected. The only thing I could guess was in the RUC hierarchy, status doesnt matter and they clear by fare class. I feel like if you call 5 times you get 5 vastly different explanations. so unless there is clearly something off, or its a red-eye/international flight I dont bother.
Does your wife's first name start with a lower letter of the alphabet? is your wife A Smith and your are Z Smith? If you were on the same reservation I would say that may be what happened - wonder if that is what happened even though you were on diff reservations given that the RUC's were coming from your account?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Does your wife's first name start with a lower letter of the alphabet? is your wife A Smith and your are Z Smith? If you were on the same reservation I would say that may be what happened - wonder if that is what happened even though you were on diff reservations given that the RUC's were coming from your account?
Her first letter is before mine in the alphabet, but different fare classes and tickets. Hers was a corporate ticket, but no reserve card. I have the reserve, but a regular delta.com ticket. Seems pretty clear from the various threads lately that something is messed up. I'm not calling Shena-na, I just think either priorities have been changed and have not announced, or the crack IT team has some fixing to do.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.3MM
I have a a suspicion that some other program updates are at play. Routes I fly regularly during the same periods have resulted I me being much farther down one the list the has been the case historically (DM + Reserve). I understand there is a larger medallion population towards the end of the year and folks using RUC but I've definitely noticed a change.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I have a RUC applied PHL-DTW-TPA. The RUC cleared for DTW-TPA about 3 days ago.

I am #3 on the upgrade list PHL-DTW for 1 seat.

DM with a reserve card and a RUC applied. Cant think many who trump that but 2 apparently are.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by apodo77
I have a RUC applied PHL-DTW-TPA. The RUC cleared for DTW-TPA about 3 days ago.

I am #3 on the upgrade list PHL-DTW for 1 seat.

DM with a reserve card and a RUC applied. Cant think many who trump that but 2 apparently are.
What's your fare class? You seem to be traveling today, which should be a light and elite-light (or business-light) day, although I think of PHL-DTW as a business oriented route.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold

360 member with one companion on the same PNR.
eneq likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's your fare class? You seem to be traveling today, which should be a light and elite-light (or business-light) day, although I think of PHL-DTW as a business oriented route.
It's tomorrow actually and an L fare (was an expensive ticket). Usually consider Wednesday a very light travel day as well and I have never missed a PHL-DTW upgrade in 4 segments this year.
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
360 member with one companion on the same PNR.
Like I said not many would trump me.
I guess my hope for this very short hop would be they don't want to split up then.

Last edited by apodo77; Nov 19, 2019 at 2:32 pm
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
It's tomorrow actually and an L fare (was an expensive ticket). Usually consider Wednesday a very light travel day as well and I have never missed a PHL-DTW upgrade in 4 segments this year.

Like I said not many would trump me.
I guess my hope for this very short hop would be they don't want to split up then.
Let us know the outcome.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
Let us know the outcome.
I am now #5 of 25 for 0 seats.
Confirmed with the Twitter team the RUC is properly applied.

Last edited by apodo77; Nov 20, 2019 at 1:56 pm
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PSA: It's not just free elite upgrades into domestic FC that seem to be messed up. I almost lost an upgrade into D1 at about T-36, despite previously being on the waitlist correctly with about eight OY seats in inventory.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PSA: It's not just free elite upgrades into domestic FC that seem to be messed up. I almost lost an upgrade into D1 at about T-36, despite previously being on the waitlist correctly with about eight OY seats in inventory.
Please explain. This concerns me as Mrs. mattya9 and I have GUC's applied to a DTW-AMS leg next month and it's currently showing 9 seats still available for upgrade (according to the app). Should I be calling in to check and make sure ours are still applied correctly?

OPS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.