Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Have Diamonds Noticed they are lower on the upgrade list recently?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have Diamonds Noticed they are lower on the upgrade list recently?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by ethernal
This is pretty easy to explain. Any confirmed passenger without a seat assignment will always show above you on the standby list (since you are non-confirmed). So this could have been any of the 8 passengers. You may have been the first non-confirmed pax on the flight.

While the above is the most likely case, since your flight was delayed can guarantee you that this flight likely had a lot of SDS from people arriving early and seeing they had the opportunity to get on an earlier flight - some of which may have been Diamonds. You may have been #1 on the upgrade list, but not that high in the pecking order all things considered because 6-7 people cleared their F upgrade before it got to the gate (hypothetically).
awesome - thanks
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's only the Reserve card that affects upgrades and even so, it just gives priority among elites of the same tier using the same fare class ("grouping"). This should have only a marginal impact, mostly in cases where one is on the bubble for an upgrade.
This is just not true. On an O&D heavy route, the Reserve card makes a HUGE difference. Everyone buying at around the same time is buying the same fare class. Connecting routes it makes less of a differences (because married segment logic can result in a much more disparate spread of fare classes - on a route selling only M fares on a nonstop may be selling U fares on a connection or vice versa).

ATL-SJC, for example, is typically an H fare for 1-4 weeks before departure and then an M fare on most busier times 0-7 days before departure. While exceptions exist, this is pretty typical, and ATL-SJC is a high O&D route.

If most people are buying their tickets between 1-4 weeks before departure, then they are all getting the same exact fare class. If you don't have a reserve card, you are going to be at the bottom of the stack against Diamonds who do have a reserve card (or get mired in different tiebreakers like MQD waiver, corporate priority, and ticketing time). This can easily move you 10+ places on the upgrade list.

While all of this is a moot point (no one is getting a C+ or F upgrade if they're on an H fare flying ATL-SJC during busy hours - that's reserved to M/B fare holders or using RUCs), the point is that it can make a big difference in your relative placement on the list - at least 10-15 spots.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM+, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I flew AUS-MSP-MKE-ATL-AUS this week. Only upgraded on MSP-MKE at the window. Ended up 5 of 40 on MKE-ATL and 11 of Max on ATL-AUS. Paid W or S fare as a Diamond 2+MM. Usually I miss by 1 or 2 but missing by 10 is new.

Last edited by Worldtraveler727; Nov 14, 2019 at 8:02 am
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I would think I should be ahead of them given that I have a C+ ticket and there is one C+ seat left? Most (or all) people who don't have a seat assignment are basic economy.

I really want someone to chime in though on my being 1 out of 20 for an upgrade, yet #8 for a standby on the exact same flight (90 minutes apart).
If you're truly standby and not just awaiting seat assignment at the gate, you haven't yet been confirmed onto the flight and therefore you CANNOT be on the upgrade list. Something is wrong, but I'm not sure it's what you think.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
If you're truly standby and not just awaiting seat assignment at the gate, you haven't yet been confirmed onto the flight and therefore you CANNOT be on the upgrade list. Something is wrong, but I'm not sure it's what you think.
no no you missed it. I had a confirmed seat on DL999 - SDC to a later flight because my inbound flight was delayed; and then tried to switch back to DL 999, and this time I was put on standby for DL 999. That is why I can relate to both the Upgrade list and standby list. But it's clear now that others had confirmed seats but not seats assigned and that is why I was 8th.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: DL: 2MM/DM Marriott: LT Platinum
Originally Posted by bsears4054
Have any other Diamonds noticed a change in their normal upgrade list position? I fly weekly and last hadnful of flights I've been 4-7 on upgrade list whereas normally been 1-3? Just curious if they've changed the algorithm again.
This is anecdotal, but last few weeks, I have been consistently below #5 when previously I used to be #1 or #2 as DL DM with Reserve card. I understand that a lot of things can affect the position on UG list, but it has persisted over a number of flights on different days and routes - with no obvious change from behavior on my end . My employer booking agency site always suggests cheapest tickets (not Basic Economy) and I usually buy with 5 to 8 days before the outbound flight.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
no no you missed it. I had a confirmed seat on DL999 - SDC to a later flight because my inbound flight was delayed; and then tried to switch back to DL 999, and this time I was put on standby for DL 999. That is why I can relate to both the Upgrade list and standby list. But it's clear now that others had confirmed seats but not seats assigned and that is why I was 8th.
in any case, your position on either list is relative to the other people on the list, and it's highly unlikely any of the other people were on both of those lists.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Welcome to FCM folks. DL would rather make $5 selling an F seat than rewarding FFers. Judging by their record profits, I wouldn't expect things to change. With the inevitable influx of UA LVCs, it will get worse as more peeps battle for the same inventory. Am I bashing DL, no, from a business perspective it makes sense and all their competitors do the same thing.

This by far has been my worst year for upgrades. More concerning is that the drop off in upg% from last year to this year has accelerated massively. I'm at about 35% and I usually book about a week out. I was at about 60% last year. Heck, I can't even get C+ upgrades as a DM on many flights nowadays. Bout the best I can hope for is an exit row seat.
Since they introduced FCM and really started pushing it heavily, profits and margins are down. DL went from $4.5B in profit in 2015 to $3.9B in 2018 and margins have gone from ~11% to ~8%. I would say that the decrease has less to do with rewarding frequent fliers and more to do with selling seats for less than people are willing to pay (i.e. my recent $112 upgrade for 3300 miles in the air).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by The Situation
Since they introduced FCM and really started pushing it heavily, profits and margins are down. DL went from $4.5B in profit in 2015 to $3.9B in 2018 and margins have gone from ~11% to ~8%. I would say that the decrease has less to do with rewarding frequent fliers and more to do with selling seats for less than people are willing to pay (i.e. my recent $112 upgrade for 3300 miles in the air).
I'm pretty sure 2015's outsized profits were primarily driven from the fact that the cost per barrel of Jet-A went from $120 in September of 2014 to $40 by December 2015. Airlines always outperform in times of falling fuel prices when the falling fuel price is not associated with a demand collapse (i.e., recession). Capacity (and, therefore, ticket price) was decided and modeled using a key input price factor that decreased by 65%.
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by The Situation
Admittedly, I don't know what year they started FCM, but it wasn't last year. I was referring to a more macro level. 8-11% margins @DL were unheard of until ~2013. I also stipulate that FCM probably didn't drive that either, but ancillary fees (bags, seats, C+, FCM) in general are definitely contributing.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:50 am

Had an odd one a few weeks ago. I think I was 8 of 8. I forget if I sat in Y or said screw it and bought up to the F seat. Still I was surprised. Could have been just one of those days, but something seemed off to me.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ethernal
While all of this is a moot point (no one is getting a C+ or F upgrade if they're on an H fare flying ATL-SJC during busy hours - that's reserved to M/B fare holders or using RUCs), the point is that it can make a big difference in your relative placement on the list - at least 10-15 spots.
I bought a V fare on ATL-SJC the day before departure and was instantly upgraded to F. YMMV, but your hyperbole of 10-15 spots lower as a Diamond Medallion is a bit much.

Originally Posted by El Boocho
Had an odd one a few weeks ago. I think I was 8 of 8. I forget if I sat in Y or said screw it and bought up to the F seat. Still I was surprised. Could have been just one of those days, but something seemed off to me.
8 of 8 as a DM has to be wrong. Did you call or ask an ACS agent to verify that your placement on the list was correct? I was bottom of the list once for JFK-BOS and after I had someone review it, I went to #1 .
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:08 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
8 of 8 as a DM has to be wrong.
Seems hard to be so confident about that without knowing the route and fare bucket.
HDQDD likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
Seems hard to be so confident about that without knowing the route and fare bucket.
Assuming that it wasn't a basic economy or award ticket, that it was a normal continental48 domestic FC route not ticketed as a codeshare etc., and that no one else was on the same PNR and no companion upgrade was requested, it's extremely unlikely that a DM would be 8 out of 8 on an upgrade list. A DM on a low fare class could be # 8, but there should be lower tier elites on the upgrade list beyond 8, and with 8 there's no question of the full list not being shown.

Was the person previously "upgraded" to C+?
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Assuming that it wasn't a basic economy or award ticket, that it was a normal continental48 domestic FC route not ticketed as a codeshare etc., and that no one else was on the same PNR and no companion upgrade was requested, it's extremely unlikely that a DM would be 8 out of 8 on an upgrade list. A DM on a low fare class could be # 8, but there should be lower tier elites on the upgrade list beyond 8, and with 8 there's no question of the full list not being shown.

Was the person previously "upgraded" to C+?
That's true, I didn't consider the 8 of 8 total aspect.
MSPeconomist and btonkid12345 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.