Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Amex Delta Plat Companion Pass Questions ?

Amex Delta Plat Companion Pass Questions ?

Old Nov 6, 19, 10:31 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 111
Amex Delta Plat Companion Pass Questions ?

Good morning all,

Both my wife and I have the Amex Delta Plat cards and we both have the buddy pass thing that will be expiring at the end of the year(travel must be completed before the end of the year, pay for one coach seat and the other is just taxes). I tried to use them on a one way because we wont be back before the end of the year but they said it must be RT. I was also told that either of us do not need to be the one traveling. My question is; Is there a way to give these away to anyone(you guys) safely without risk to my account and finances? I am assuming that there would have to be a level of trust on both ends, but would also want to make sure there isnt risks that I havent thought of. The risk that I envision is I have to book the flights and pay for them and the person using would have to VENMO or Paypal me to be reimbursed. I guess my safety net would be I could cancel the flights if the person receiving clawed back the money for the trip and the receiver would have to trust that I am not going to randomly cancel their flight and take their money.
Any thoughts on other issues or ways to minimize risk(I know I am honest and wouldnt screw someone, but they dont know me or that I dont have nefarious intentions, so getting rid of risk on both sides would be ideal).
Thank you for your thoughts and please dont DM me asking for them until there is some discussion and I am comfortable with the associated risks. I would rather waste them then get screwed out of a few hundred dollars trying to be nice.
sevastras is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 10:39 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 13,397
Originally Posted by sevastras View Post
Good morning all,

Both my wife and I have the Amex Delta Plat cards and we both have the buddy pass thing that will be expiring at the end of the year(travel must be completed before the end of the year, pay for one coach seat and the other is just taxes). I tried to use them on a one way because we wont be back before the end of the year but they said it must be RT. I was also told that either of us do not need to be the one traveling. My question is; Is there a way to give these away to anyone(you guys) safely without risk to my account and finances? I am assuming that there would have to be a level of trust on both ends, but would also want to make sure there isnt risks that I havent thought of. The risk that I envision is I have to book the flights and pay for them and the person using would have to VENMO or Paypal me to be reimbursed. I guess my safety net would be I could cancel the flights if the person receiving clawed back the money for the trip and the receiver would have to trust that I am not going to randomly cancel their flight and take their money.
Any thoughts on other issues or ways to minimize risk(I know I am honest and wouldnt screw someone, but they dont know me or that I dont have nefarious intentions, so getting rid of risk on both sides would be ideal).
Thank you for your thoughts and please dont DM me asking for them until there is some discussion and I am comfortable with the associated risks. I would rather waste them then get screwed out of a few hundred dollars trying to be nice.
(EDIT: I misinterpreted) What you are proposing is an explicit violation of the T&C: "The Companion Certificate is transferable, Primary ticket and Companion ticket are not transferable once issued. Companion Certificate may not be bartered or sold. Companion Certificates or Companion tickets acquired through prohibited sale/barter transactions are void and will not be honored for travel."

It can be *gifted* (although the mechanics of it are that you have to book the travel for the recipients)

Although I have only ever used the companion certs for myself +1, I would wonder practically speaking how AMEX/DL would know if you sold/bartered vs. gifted. Unless, of course, one were to post publicly about it.

Related recent-ish thread: Transferring Delta Companion Pass w/o giving away skymiles username/password

Last edited by Zorak; Nov 6, 19 at 10:51 am
Zorak is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 10:42 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 1,791
First, I would use the terminology "Amex Companion Coupon" or something like that. Buddy Pass is something completely different.

As you mention, there are risks involved as they must be used from your delta account. You could get all the information about the people who will use them
and then book it yourself. It also does not need to be charged to YOUR Amex card. It can be charged to anyone's Amex card.

Once issued, the tickets will be nonrefundable and penalties (on both tickets) to change. Expiration date will remain the same as the Companion Coupon you
started out with.

Hope that is helpful.
sevastras likes this.
Mr. Tickets is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 10:46 am
  #4  
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 45į North
Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Posts: 10,161
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
What you are proposing is an explicit violation of the T&C: "The Companion Certificate is transferable, Primary ticket and Companion ticket are not transferable once issued. Companion Certificate may not be bartered or sold. Companion Certificates or Companion tickets acquired through prohibited sale/barter transactions are void and will not be honored for travel."

It can be *gifted*.

Although I have only ever used the companion certs for myself +1, I would wonder practically speaking how AMEX/DL would know if you sold/bartered vs. gifted. Unless, of course, one were to post publicly about it.
Selling the pass may be against the T&Cs but I think the OP was referring to being reimbursed for the costs of booking the flight for someone else (i.e. no gain, just the cost of airfare).
sevastras likes this.
TTT is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 10:51 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 13,397
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
Selling the pass may be against the T&Cs but I think the OP was referring to being reimbursed for the costs of booking the flight for someone else (i.e. no gain, just the cost of airfare).
Indeed, my apologies.

Although if it were me I'd start with family/friends/co-workers where I had a high degree of confidence in not getting screwed before opening it up to random strangers on the Internet
sevastras likes this.
Zorak is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 10:54 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
Selling the pass may be against the T&Cs but I think the OP was referring to being reimbursed for the costs of booking the flight for someone else (i.e. no gain, just the cost of airfare).
Correct, I am not looking to gain anything. I would just rather have someone use them if they can benefit from it, as I will not be able to use them either way.

And yes, companion certificate, sorry.
sevastras is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 11:04 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 13,397
Originally Posted by sevastras View Post
I would just rather have someone use them if they can benefit from it, as I will not be able to use them either way.
^ I hate spoilage too. For a while I carried around with me a Charlie Card with 50c leftover on it until I found someone from Boston to give it to
Zorak is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 11:06 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Orleans (for now)
Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Posts: 1,642
I use the Delta branded Amex platinum companion cert to fly the kids to see us. I also have the Delta Amex Reserve so we use that for ourselves to fly up front.

Isn’t there a family member you can work this out with?

Last edited by Marylou; Nov 6, 19 at 12:53 pm Reason: Misspoke
Marylou is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 11:12 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: miami, florida
Posts: 2,132
I could definitely use it to take my son to see Grandma for the holidays if you are not going to be able to use it. Please private message me. I simply use my AMEX to pay for the flights directly so no risk to you whatsoever. I donít need your SM number or password as you can just book the flights for me using my AMEX.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Nov 6, 19 at 11:17 am
sydneyracquelle is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 12:14 pm
  #10  
formerly jackvogt
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Posts: 687
I actually think the cardholder must be on the ticket. Maybe not, but that's how i understood it.
ATLflyer2017 is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 12:27 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Programs: DL MM & DM; Marriott, AmEx, Chase, Cap1
Posts: 813
Originally Posted by jackvogt View Post
I actually think the cardholder must be on the ticket. Maybe not, but that's how i understood it.
Actually not. I recently used 3 of my own companion certs to fly 6 people on the same round trip.
Mr. Tickets likes this.
safigan is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 1:30 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ATL
Programs: DL PM, 2+MM, AA Gold 1+MM, HH Diamond, MHG Silver,
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by safigan View Post
Actually not. I recently used 3 of my own companion certs to fly 6 people on the same round trip.
This.

I've used Companion Certs to book travel for kids as well. Of course the Cert holder needs to book the tickets, but simply uncheck the box that defaults to "I am traveling on this ticket" and enter the names of both travelers. Remember that only the person listed as Traveler #1 will earn mileage for the trip.

OP - You're a Class Act!! Well done sir!
lov2fly is offline  
Old Nov 6, 19, 6:49 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9
.....

.....

Last edited by hfb606; Nov 6, 19 at 7:02 pm
hfb606 is offline  
Old Nov 12, 19, 9:25 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 111
I was able to use one for someone on the boards. The process was pretty simple. If anyone can use one more before the end of the year, let me know so the last one doesnt go to waste. Have to use an Amex card to book it.
sevastras is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: