Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring Delta Companion Pass w/o giving away skymiles username/password

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Hello, I have two Delta Companion passes from my Platinum Amex card that I want to give away. However, I can't figure out how to let someone else use it without giving away my skymiles username and password. On the site in order to use it: delta.com/redeem, the original issuer info is required. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks for your help!
Old May 4, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Jimiaxplyr
Hello, I have two Delta Companion passes from my Platinum Amex card that I want to give away. However, I can't figure out how to let someone else use it without giving away my skymiles username and password. On the site in order to use it: delta.com/redeem, the original issuer info is required. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks for your help!
You should book the ticket for whoever you are giving it to. I don't think it's possible to actually transfer the certificate, but you can put any two people on the reservation, you don't need to be one of them. But you do need to book it online through your delta.com account.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

I agree that it would be the easiest that way, it's just a pain with how restrictive delta is with these passes. Trying to use these myself has been painful, I don't want to be the one doing all the searching for someone else. I see people selling these everywhere, is that how they do it?
Old May 4, 2019, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jimiaxplyr
I agree that it would be the easiest that way, it's just a pain with how restrictive delta is with these passes. Trying to use these myself has been painful, I don't want to be the one doing all the searching for someone else. I see people selling these everywhere, is that how they do it?

Really? Where are they being sold? And for how much? Seems like not a great buy once you are paying for the pass plus a ticket.

In any case, you don't need to do the searching for them. Read the companion rules and explain to the person that wants to use it what fare class needs to be available on a particular flight. Then they need to do an advanced search for those fares on delta.com. With the latest website update it can be tricky to find the search interface that allows you to search by fare class (you have to first do a regular search and then click on advanced search, not click on advanced search from the home screen). Here is a direct link: https://www.delta.com/flight-search/book-a-flight
Old May 4, 2019, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. People are selling them on ebay and on other forums and I can't imagine how they do it without having to book it for the person buying it which makes no sense.

Delta's site is probably one of the worst for searching anything but hopefully they could figure that out if I gave it to them. Thank you
Old May 4, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Really? Where are they being sold? And for how much? Seems like not a great buy once you are paying for the pass plus a ticket.

In any case, you don't need to do the searching for them. Read the companion rules and explain to the person that wants to use it what fare class needs to be available on a particular flight. Then they need to do an advanced search for those fares on delta.com. With the latest website update it can be tricky to find the search interface that allows you to search by fare class (you have to first do a regular search and then click on advanced search, not click on advanced search from the home screen). Here is a direct link: https://www.delta.com/flight-search/book-a-flight
I don't think just because 2 V seats are available that the companion certificate can be used, right? Aren't there additional requirements - e.g. falling outside blackout dates?
Old May 4, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's 2x in LUTXV. Although, there may be additional capacity controls (they don't have defined blackout dates). Also, need to be purchased with an Amex card. I'm thinking if you are that hard up for cash that you feel the need to sell these, why are you holding a $195/year credit card. It seems a no fee cash-back card would be a better fit, no?
Old May 4, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by xliioper
It's 2x in LUTXV. Although, there may be additional capacity controls (they don't have defined blackout dates). Also, need to be purchased with an Amex card. I'm thinking if you are that hard up for cash that you feel the need to sell these, why are you holding a $195/year credit card. It seems a no fee cash-back card would be a better fit, no?
Churners who are only interested in bonuses would probably try to sell theirs to make it a $0 AF card. It doesn't make much more sense but it's a possible explanation. Then again, what good are MQM bonuses to someone not flying enough to use one of these certs? Oh well
Old May 4, 2019, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Churners who are only interested in bonuses would probably try to sell theirs to make it a $0 AF card. It doesn't make much more sense but it's a possible explanation. Then again, what good are MQM bonuses to someone not flying enough to use one of these certs? Oh well

I also can't imagine going through the trouble to buy a pass for $195 that you probably are not 100% sure is actually legit. To save what...$150? Maybe? And could be a lot less. And to do this on a plane ticket that you won't earn miles on?
Old May 4, 2019, 11:49 pm

According to the OP, he is giving them away, not looking to sell them, so it looks like he is trying to be generous. I have gifted them to friends and family a couple times when I didn't end up using them. I just recently downgraded to the blue card because the Alaska pass was just way less restrictive and easier to use.

Back to the OP, the only thing you can do I think is either trust the other party or have the other party trust you. Because either you will have to front the CC charge initially when you buy, or they will have to give you their CC info.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HIFlya

Back to the OP, the only thing you can do I think is either trust the other party or have the other party trust you. Because either you will have to front the CC charge initially when you buy, or they will have to give you their CC info.
Zelle peer to peer money transfer service has an ‘instant’ option that would seem to let you make sure a friend pays for a ticket properly within an airline’s 24 hour free cancellation window
Old May 5, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
One hiccup with that is that a cancellation, even within the 24 hour window, voids the companion cert and it can’t be reused. It happened to me and I fought it up the chain to no avail.

But if OP isn’t using it anyway, no harm done I guess.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Marylou
One hiccup with that is that a cancellation, even within the 24 hour window, voids the companion cert and it can’t be reused. It happened to me and I fought it up the chain to no avail.

But if OP isn’t using it anyway, no harm done I guess.

Incorrect. I have cancelled several companion cert tickets within the 24-hour window and have always had the companion cert reinstated. The 24-hour window simply voids the transaction as if it never happened and puts you back in exactly the same position.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Sydney, I would have loved to have had you fight this for me. Obviously it was My mileage that varied on this. I made several phone calls, asked for supervisors (only one of such calls actually produced one.). By that time several days had passed and the cert was nearing its expiration date so I just let it it go. In hindsight, I should have probably used Twitter instead.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Marylou
Sydney, I would have loved to have had you fight this for me. Obviously it was My mileage that varied on this. I made several phone calls, asked for supervisors (only one of such calls actually produced one.). By that time several days had passed and the cert was nearing its expiration date so I just let it it go. In hindsight, I should have probably used Twitter instead.
When was this? I think that when the Amex DL cards were first issues they were very strict about this. However, for at least the last 5-6 years I have also had zero problem doing this. No arguments. Also, even after the 24 hour window I have been able to make changes to the reservation, but had to pay the change fee. Agents will need to transfer you to the promotions desk, as they handle these (but most agents seem to know this).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.