Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is Delta about to encourage Asian travel via Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

Delta starting as early as Monday (23JAN17) plans to expand travel options to South East Asia, where the Skyteam member filed codeshare flight numbers operated by KLM, via Amsterdam. Based on the week of 22JAN17’s OAG Schedules Analyser as well as GDS timetable filing, planned codeshare routes as follow.

DELTA operated by KLM
Amsterdam – Bangkok
Amsterdam – Kuala Lumpur
Amsterdam – Singapore
Source: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...form=hootsuite
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Interesting. We're planning a trip to China (from MCO) much later this year and I'm open to unique routings. Will have to follow this development.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: UA
From the East Coast, it can be pretty comparable to SE Asia going via Europe as other options (or even quicker).

BOS-HKG-SIN on CX is scheduled at 21h 25 min. (2hr layover)
BOS-NRT-SIN on AA/JL is scheduled at 23h 10 min (1hr 35 min layover)
BOS-LHR-SIN on AA/BA is scheduled at 21h 20 min (2hr 15 min layover)
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
What Sucks is they're using these routings for awards, but charging a double award. Ie US-Europe and Europe-Asia instead of US-Asia.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
What Sucks is they're using these routings for awards, but charging a double award. Ie US-Europe and Europe-Asia instead of US-Asia.
Do you mean that the routing is limited to awards? Or are revenue tickets also available? And if Rev tix are available will they be at a premium to TPAC?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Psyduck1
Do you mean that the routing is limited to awards? Or are revenue tickets also available? And if Rev tix are available will they be at a premium to TPAC?
I don't think flyerCO is implying any of those things, (although some of them could be true).

I think flyerCO is simply saying that award tickets from U.S. to Asia via Europe are being priced like separate tickets between U.S. and AMS and AMS and Asia, resulting in much higher award costs than if going on a TPAC route.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Originally Posted by ruckzac
I don't think flyerCO is implying any of those things, (although some of them could be true).

I think flyerCO is simply saying that award tickets from U.S. to Asia via Europe are being priced like separate tickets between U.S. and AMS and AMS and Asia, resulting in much higher award costs than if going on a TPAC route.
Yes, lots of East Coast U.S. awards to SE Asia come up for award results but as pointed out are priced as 2 awards combined. Very sneaky and very annoying on DL's part.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ruckzac

10-4 thanks. I think I read a little too quickly.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:26 am

This could be really nice for adding more options for using a GUC to SE Asia if KL flies their newer/nicer planes on those routes. I flew their 787 in Business to AUH and I thought it was great.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Those routes seem miserable. I would never want to fly all the way to Europe to go to Asia.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:52 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Does anyone think they'll actually fix the double award thing once this whole thing becomes more of a reality?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels
Does anyone think they'll actually fix the double award thing once this whole thing becomes more of a reality?
EU - SE Asia awards on partners currently price as 50K (Y) and 80K (J). US - SE Asia are currently 40K (Y) and 80K (J) when going west. It seems somewhat unlikely they will price US awards via EU to SE Asia at rates that are less than or equal to EU - SE Asia awards.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Schedules are an issue...

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
One of the big issues with this as a USA-SE Asia option is that most of the current KL flight schedules on AMS-BKK/KUL/SIN do not mesh well with connections to/from the US, especially eastbound. Both BKK and SIN leave AMS in the evening, meaning a long AMS layover for the US-originating traveler while only a 3x weekly KUL flight at midday works; the regular daily KUL flight also leaves in the evening. On the return, both SIN and KUL would work as they arrive AMS early morning and can connect to the morning US departures bank; BKK-AMS on the other hand arrives AMS too late for any US connections and would require an overnight stay.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Those routes seem miserable. I would never want to fly all the way to Europe to go to Asia.
For these destinations, it can make sense from the east coast.

JFK-NRT-SIN: 10069 miles. JFK-AMS-SIN: 10178 miles. via Europe 109 miles longer: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=jfk-nrt-sin,jfk-ams-sin
JFK-NRT-BKK: 9634 miles. JFK-AMS-SIN: 9371 miles. via Europe 263 miles shorter: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=jfk-nrt-bkk,jfk-ams-bkk
JFK-NRT-KUL: 10102 miles. JFK-AMS-KUL: 10006 miles. via Europe 96 miles shorter: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=jfk-nrt-kul,jfk-ams-kul

Last edited by SEA-Flyer; Jan 22, 2017 at 11:16 am
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I don't think this is aimed at West Coast customers. East coast to Thailand makes more sense via Europe than via the West Coast though. The Pacific is simply much bigger than the Atlantic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.