Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy Hack (international)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think DL 3665 is a DL operated TATL flight. They tend to have a two or three digit flight number, while DL 3XXX would generally be a codeshare operated by a carrier other than DL. Could this be a DL operated codeshare sold under an AF or KLM flight number?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AviationFreak
I think we're talking past one another. Yes, if all flights are AF/KL marketed, then obviously DoD is the only shot at C+/F on the DL operated segments. However, you can get an underlying basic/'light' AF/KL fare that books into non-BE on DL-marketed segments.

For example, I have an upcoming flight (actually, on 006 stock) that uses AF/KL fares with a B designator (second to last place in the fare basis) indicating it's a basic/light/hand baggage only fare. BUT, here are the flights:

KL1822 TXL-AMS L
AF3667 AMS-ATL V (operated by DL)
DL806 ATL-PHL V (as a PM, I've already cleared into C+)

another example is

DL1992 LGA-ATL L (C+ upgrade to SU)
DL3665 ATL-AMS N (operated by DL)
KL xxxx AMS-FCO N

My point was that you can book flights such that DL domestic connections don't book into E, even if its a 'light/basic' fare. In my experience, this has only worked where the transatlantic segments are AF/KL marketed. It takes some playing to get these to price out.

I hope this clarifies things and isn't too hard to follow! It still means you have to deal with no C+ upgrade on the long-haul segment, but softens the blow a bit (and saves at least $100 in most cases).
I was responding to this post, that I meant to quote. Sorry.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think DL 3665 is a DL operated TATL flight. They tend to have a two or three digit flight number, while DL 3XXX would generally be a codeshare operated by a carrier other than DL. Could this be a DL operated codeshare sold under an AF or KLM flight number?
probably not relevant here, but there are a number of domestic DL 3xxx mainline flights appearing in recent schedules
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I was responding to this post, that I meant to quote. Sorry.
Whoops - sorry yes it’s AF3665 op as DL74
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I found a good fare from JFK to Europe $600 (basic economy) on Delta metal... that same ticket is bookable on AirFrance (about $12 more, obviously wayyyy less than the approximately $150 "main cabin" upgrade on delta). If I book through Air France I can select seats right away - and DM Line stated I would be eligible for C+ at checkin.

Is there a downside I'm missing?
$600 is not a deal ex-JFK. Under $400 is common.

Also, if you can get to BOS, you can find fares under $300. Recently, I flew VS to LHR (stop), KL to AMS (connection), and back to BOS on DL for $255 on KL ticket. Transportation from NYC to BOS (and return) $39 each way on Amtrak NEC (flash sale - common). Got DL miles in the process too (hush hush)
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
This also works in the reverse, DL coded partner operated, though varying degrees of success. On KL, no problem picking any seat that I want. On VS only exit row seats are selectable for me.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
this was the worst hack ever - NO one, not even people in the US (let alone the Swiss Air people) - seemed to believe me when I showed them that these flights were eligible for C+ on day of travel. The people in the SkyClub looked at me as though I was an alien from another planet. I finally got C+ both ways, cleared at gate - but first guy (in the U.S.) made it seem as though he was doing me a favor (????). Next time I'll just pay a bit more and book on DL directly.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:40 am

this was the worst hack ever - NO one, not even people in the US (let alone the Swiss Air people) - seemed to believe me when I showed them that these flights were eligible for C+ on day of travel. The people in the SkyClub looked at me as though I was an alien from another planet. I finally got C+ both ways, cleared at gate - but first guy (in the U.S.) made it seem as though he was doing me a favor (????). Next time I'll just pay a bit more and book on DL directly.
Well, you paid for basic economy and were allowed to not only pick your seat but get an upgrade you weren't entitled to. If I were you I'd be happy you were able to do any of it and quit being an entitled "individual" and hush.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:00 am
Suspended

this was the worst hack ever - NO one, not even people in the US (let alone the Swiss Air people) - seemed to believe me when I showed them that these flights were eligible for C+ on day of travel.
I just do the OLCI as soon as it opens. The app asks you if you like to get on the list for C+ upgrades and whether you'll accept a middle seat or not.

I think the main advantage of this hack is that you can select seats (including exit row and seats in the first few rows of main cabin) at the time of booking.

If you happen to get an upgrade to C+ on the DoD, great. If not, you're paying the same price as DL Basic Economy but getting complimentary ASR by going the AF/KL codeshare route.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by 8mh
If not, you're paying the same price as DL Basic Economy but getting complimentary ASR by going the AF/KL codeshare route.
What's ASR?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
The way someone looked at you made this the worst ever? Wow.

I’ve used this “hack” multiple times and it’s been great every time. The “worst” I had was an intra-airport people mover delay that was significant enough that I missed a flight on the reservation.

At first AFKLM agents there saw it endorsed as “no changeable” and didn’t want to touch it. Once I explained where the delay was exactly, a Supervisor was involved and he got me on the next flight no problem.

If they said my ticket was gone without value, arguably that would be one of the worst “outcomes” of this “hack.” Not getting a free upgrade but getting a look from an airport agent.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
What's ASR?
Let me google that for you...

advance seat reservation
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Well, you paid for basic economy and were allowed to not only pick your seat but get an upgrade you weren't entitled to. If I were you I'd be happy you were able to do any of it and quit being an entitled "individual" and hush.
except the rules are very clear that DMs her day of departure C+ upgrades.... empty C+ aisles both ways - how am I not entitled to it or an entitled individual? Are you kidding me? ��

If you are interested in learning more

• For all Complimentary Upgrades on Delta-operated flights that are marketed by Air France/KLM or Virgin Atlantic, Medallion Members will clear on the day of departure, subject to upgrade availability.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades

Last edited by Tedgrrrr; Nov 12, 2019 at 10:03 am
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
The way someone looked at you made this the worst ever? Wow.

I’ve used this “hack” multiple times and it’s been great every time. The “worst” I had was an intra-airport people mover delay that was significant enough that I missed a flight on the reservation.

At first AFKLM agents there saw it endorsed as “no changeable” and didn’t want to touch it. Once I explained where the delay was exactly, a Supervisor was involved and he got me on the next flight no problem.

If they said my ticket was gone without value, arguably that would be one of the worst “outcomes” of this “hack.” Not getting a free upgrade but getting a look from an airport agent.
You didn’t get the expression - no one believed me that we were entitled to upgrades to C+ on DOD even when I showed them the policy... it took way too much work for something that should be automated. The only way it worked on the return is because I showed them Facebook messages with a delta rep and a Swiss air supervisor finally agreed to put me on the upgrade list.

Have your C+ upgrades been more automated?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 8mh
I just do the OLCI as soon as it opens. The app asks you if you like to get on the list for C+ upgrades and whether you'll accept a middle seat or not.

I think the main advantage of this hack is that you can select seats (including exit row and seats in the first few rows of main cabin) at the time of booking.

If you happen to get an upgrade to C+ on the DoD, great. If not, you're paying the same price as DL Basic Economy but getting complimentary ASR by going the AF/KL codeshare route.
Neither the outbound, nor the return worked with the app request. I got an error each time - "Oops we're sorry.... process complimentary upgrades failed". I also couldn't see the upgrade/standby list on either flight.

The big issue here is that these were relatively empty flights, half dozen or more empty C+ seats each way... so it shouldn't be, "if you happen to get it great". It should be, "if it's available you should absolutely get it" - and you shouldn't be made to have to show the website to multitudes of people". you agree?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.