Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy Hack (international)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
You didn’t get the expression - no one believed me that we were entitled to upgrades to C+ on DOD even when I showed them the policy... it took way too much work for something that should be automated. The only way it worked on the return is because I showed them Facebook messages with a delta rep and a Swiss air supervisor finally agreed to put me on the upgrade list.

Have your C+ upgrades been more automated?
Honestly when I book one of these fares - most times I’ve had a schedule change and get rebooked onto DL flt #s in main cabin.

The one time I didn’t I called and asked about C+. The agent put me on hold and just moved it all to DL flt #s and cleared my UGs. Point being, I’ve never done it DOD.

What I think the rest of us are saying is a basic economy or light fare is not meant to come with upgrade privileges, including free C+ upgrades. It is a grey area that they’ve left unaddressed.

A basic ticket is flagged on an agent’s screen so I understand your perspective but I understand why they wouldn’t seem of much help with C+ upgrades.

Honestly if there were as many empty seats as you say, I would have gone to the gate right when the GA arrived, mentioned I’m DM and asked for the C+ aisle you want by seat number. Gate agents will always place a Diamond or even a companion into C+ at the gate, IME, if there are empty seats and you ask nicely.

If you don’t want to do this then you could call the DM Desk and they’ll probably just reissue it with DL flt #s if they can’t get the C+ UG to work either.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:50 am

The big issue here is that these were relatively empty flights, half dozen or more empty C+ seats each way... so it shouldn't be, "if you happen to get it great". It should be, "if it's available you should absolutely get it" - and you shouldn't be made to have to show the website to multitudes of people". you agree?
You knew this was a “hack” so why not be discreet about it? Seriously there was no need to whip out the website on your phone for a random SkyClub agent.

Ask any RedCoat or the GA at the gate and you would have easily been hooked up as a DM - because the gate can assign a BE passenger any seat. The SkyClub can’t.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
You knew this was a “hack” so why not be discreet about it? Seriously there was no need to whip out the website on your phone for a random SkyClub agent.

Ask any RedCoat or the GA at the gate and you would have easily been hooked up as a DM - because the gate can assign a BE passenger any seat. The SkyClub can’t.
it isn’t a BE ticket though and it had advanced seat selection... I was more concerned about the return with the swissport people. Delta wouldn’t reissue it. And no one knew how to add me to the upgrade list. Ironically the swissport lady was the best of the bunch and she said that I showed up on one list but not another but that she would force it through.

desk would not reissue said there is nothing they can do.

Really should not be this hard
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
except the rules are very clear that DMs her day of departure C+ upgrades.... empty C+ aisles both ways - how am I not entitled to it or an entitled individual? Are you kidding me? ��

If you are interested in learning more

• For all Complimentary Upgrades on Delta-operated flights that are marketed by Air France/KLM or Virgin Atlantic, Medallion Members will clear on the day of departure, subject to upgrade availability.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades
You bought a basic economy ticket with AF/KL flight numbers. That's what you did. You know that, I know that, the rest of the forum knows that. You shouldn't have expected an upgrade doing this. You even called it a "hack" implying a way to get around the rules. Worst, you publicized a way to get around the rules, argued with a Delta rep about it, and likely hastened the closure of this loophole. So no, I don't have sympathy for you for not getting your "entitled upgrade".
btonkid12345 and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
You bought a basic economy ticket with AF/KL flight numbers. That's what you did. You know that, I know that, the rest of the forum knows that. You shouldn't have expected an upgrade doing this. You even called it a "hack" implying a way to get around the rules. Worst, you publicized a way to get around the rules, argued with a Delta rep about it, and likely hastened the closure of this loophole. So no, I don't have sympathy for you for not getting your "entitled upgrade".
by it's definitely it absolutely was not a basic economy ticket because it came with the same benefits that a main ticket on delta comes with. So how is it a basic economy ticket? it is just that Air France is selling a main seat for the price (or less) of a basic economy ticket on delta. And, as I said earlier, based on my experience, I don't care if this loophole gets closed. I should rather pay extra and get a ticket directly from Delta than buy it from Air France, saving a couple bucks and having to endure a ton of irritation.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Not fully correct. When you buy these via AF/KL you are buying an "Light" fare, that is NOT the same as an basic economy ticket from Delta. They use different names for these fares for a reason. A "light" fare does exclude baggage but does INCLUDE advance seat selection. You just don't get any upgrades on DL as these have been booked as AF/KL marketed flights as Delta does not sell "light" fares. The reason for that is the competetive FF program structure here in europe: as the other two large FF programs/ Alliances are offering seat selection for their version of luggage free light fares AF/KL had to offer the same therefore any light fare bought from them does include advance seat selection. That is not a Hack or loophole. So buying an AF light fare will allow you seat selection on DL operated flights as soon as ticketed but no access to their E+ seats before OLCI.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:14 am

by it's definitely it absolutely was not a basic economy ticket because it came with the same benefits that a main ticket on delta comes with. So how is it a basic economy ticket? it is just that Air France is selling a main seat for the price (or less) of a basic economy ticket on delta. And, as I said earlier, based on my experience, I don't care if this loophole gets closed. I should rather pay extra and get a ticket directly from Delta than buy it from Air France, saving a couple bucks and having to endure a ton of irritation.
It is a “light” fare with AFKLM. It may allow seat selection, but nowhere does it say that Light fares are entitled to complimentary upgrades on Delta.

You knew this was a hack. You knew it was a way to save money, then you did it and complain, saying you don’t care of the loophole is closed because you’ll pay more next time?

Wow, gee thanks, how magnanimous...not. You wanted to save the money and get the added benefits. Some of the rest of us care about the loophole because we can work with it without getting bent out of shape.

Next time please definitely buy the main fare and then don’t start a thread on how to hack BE internationally...

Originally Posted by 8mh
Slightly off-topic, but just for your future reference.

When running into something like this on flyertalk, I suggest looking it up in other sources than the ones you picked.
What a mature and professional post. Thank you.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by BER Flyer
So buying an AF light fare will allow you seat selection on DL operated flights as soon as ticketed but no access to their E+ seats before OLCI.
This is the OP’s entire issue - C+ seats were not made available to them during OLCI...

While I agree with the rest of your post, I don’t think there is an official published policy either allowing or prohibiting C+ upgrades for people with Medallion status on Light fares on AFKL marketed flight #s...
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:33 am

I must be missing something, what's the "hack" here?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
There is no official policy but it works as intended. If i buy a AF light fare i can select an standard economy seat on any DL operated flight within that reservation. I have to call DL to get access to the "preferred" seats but that usually works fine. No access to E+ seats untill OLCI when these become available to everyone. Still for free with status. So this is how it should work. The "Hack" is the other way around: if i'm on a basic economy fare bought from DL i can select seats on AF/KL operated flights as these carriers don't have fares which prohibit advance seat selection.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
This is the OP’s entire issue - C+ seats were not made available to them during OLCI...

While I agree with the rest of your post, I don’t think there is an official published policy either allowing or prohibiting C+ upgrades for people with Medallion status on Light fares on AFKL marketed flight #s...
Perfect!! You got it.

and, this is the policy:
  • For all Complimentary Upgrades on Delta-operated flights that are marketed by Air France/KLM or Virgin Atlantic, Medallion Members will clear on the day of departure, subject to upgrade availability.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I must be missing something, what's the "hack" here?
That if you want to pay a similar price as basic economy, yet select a seat and (in theory) be eligible for a C+ upgrade on the day of departure you should book trips to Europe on AF/KLM operated by Delta. I would need to look at my initial post, but I think in my case I saved $150.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 3:35 pm

That if you want to pay a similar price as basic economy, yet select a seat and (in theory) be eligible for a C+ upgrade on the day of departure you should book trips to Europe on AF/KLM operated by Delta. I would need to look at my initial post, but I think in my case I saved $150.
Bumping this thread - has anyone had success with this in 2021? Specifically looking to see if I can assign regular seats at booking on a non-stop TATL r/t flight operated by DL, marketed by and purchased through AF with an AF flight number. Not an elite so not worried about any C+ upgrades

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.