Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any ideas on this disappearing first class seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any ideas on this disappearing first class seat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
It could've been a very last minute check in by someone who was confirmed in F all along but didn't have a seat assignment.
ijgordon and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by cre95
I see that the prior flight scheduled to have departed at 8pm was delayed past midnight so not surprising to have many of these folks move to your flight. As long as they did by 10pm seats would have been available to SDC. So, it seems that FC passengers likely took the last few seats in your flight if that’s of any comfort.
That is probably what happened and makes sense. No comfort needed. Since I was with a companion I wouldn't have taken the upgrade anyway for a single seat. Was just morbidly curious while bored as ATL airport didn't keep anything open in T despite the entire terminal still full of flights and DL closed the SC to boot - were directing people to A.
Figured y'all would have some great ideas and didn't disappoint as alwyas. Thanks everyone for participating
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
FCM offers go away after you check in. If I had to guess, it was probably a last minute SDC or an IROPS pax. The OP's second screenshot shows 5 more people on the list than before so there was probably some sort of IROPS that sent a few people over to their flight.
Almost certainly this.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
It could've been a very last minute check in by someone who was confirmed in F all along but didn't have a seat assignment.
Is this true? It never even occurred to me that the "seats available" number in the upgrade list would just be a straight count of unassigned seats rather than actual inventory.

Regardless, I think the IROPS theory seems to be the most likely.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by defrosted
Couldn't you SDC onto this flight if you were on the first flight the next morning? Same day is 24 hours isn't it, not literally the same day?
By policy, no. In practice.... sometimes.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Is this true? It never even occurred to me that the "seats available" number in the upgrade list would just be a straight count of unassigned seats rather than actual inventory.
Pretty sure it is - definitely true for C+ and also "Available" on the standby list (seat count includes all cabins) that it's just counting unassigned and blocked seats.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

The “seats available” in the app is only showing unassigned seats. However if this was indeed someone who was paid F, but didn’t select the last F seat, then they would have cleared under the “standby” list.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I had a similar situation once where I was #1 with 1 available 10 minutes before boarding started. When I didn't get the u/g, I asked the GA who politely explained that #2 on the list pulled out a credit card and bought up to an F fare. Highly unusual, but it does happen. No shenanigans - just unlucky. YMMV.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
More than a few times, when I’m at a gate and it looks like I won’t be getting the UG when there’s a single seat available I’ll call and pay to UG to F (no FCM offer, just a straight call to the DM desk). I won’t show up as UG’d but the seat suddenly becomes unavailable and I’m (obviously) not on the UG list any longer.

Admittedly, it gives me a wry sense of pleasure as I scope the gate for disgruntled pax who were confident of their UG.

Im willing to wager that I am not the only one.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The “seats available” in the app is only showing unassigned seats. However if this was indeed someone who was paid F, but didn’t select the last F seat, then they would have cleared under the “standby” list.
I assume that's only for passengers who checked in and were unable to get seat assignments at that time (mostly BE pax), in addition to true standbys. They get a priority verification pass I believe, and then clear the standby list.

If a passenger made a F reservation with no seat assignment (wouldn't be unusual for a travel agent booking), then s/he would have been assigned a seat at the time of check-in. I don't know why that would show on the standby list (s/he certainly wouldn't have been on the standby list BEFORE s/he checked in).

Regardless, OP doesn't show the standby list from the app.
Of course checking ExpertFlyer would show whether that seat was really available (for a booking) or already booked, at least until T-30m I think.

I really don't see any evidence that this was anything beyond an already booked FC pax getting a last minute seat assignment, but as mentioned, we don't have all the evidence that would have been available.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium

Yup. "Seats available" is a count of unassigned seats, not seats for sale. This is confirmable by checking upcoming flights against ExpertFlyer--eventually you'll find one where "seats available" in F is greater than the count for sale.

That said, I do agree IROPS is much more likely here.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Yup. "Seats available" is a count of unassigned seats, not seats for sale. This is confirmable by checking upcoming flights against ExpertFlyer--eventually you'll find one where "seats available" in F is greater than the count for sale.

That said, I do agree IROPS is much more likely here.
I always check how many seats DL is selling on the flight in F. Sometimes it might show F as sold out but with multiple seats still unassigned and thus showing on the count on the UG list.

Perfect example: I was flying LAX-ATL in paid First but called to SDC. The flight I wanted to move to only showed 1 seat for sale in F, and after my SDC was processed, it showed sold out.

But, the app upgrade standby list showed 6 seats unassigned in First and plenty of people on the UG list.

Imagine the disappointment of 1-6 on the list when the gate agent assigned all 6 of those seats to a family of 6 in paid J, who were connecting from Australia on Virgin to LAX-ATL on First, but never had seats selected.

The GA did this between T-45 and T-30. Also, the poor family got random seats all throughout the cabin, but at least they were in First Class.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I always check how many seats DL is selling on the flight in F. Sometimes it might show F as sold out but with multiple seats still unassigned and thus showing on the count on the UG list.

Perfect example: I was flying LAX-ATL in paid First but called to SDC. The flight I wanted to move to only showed 1 seat for sale in F, and after my SDC was processed, it showed sold out.

But, the app upgrade standby list showed 6 seats unassigned in First and plenty of people on the UG list.

Imagine the disappointment of 1-6 on the list when the gate agent assigned all 6 of those seats to a family of 6 in paid J, who were connecting from Australia on Virgin to LAX-ATL on First, but never had seats selected.

The GA did this between T-45 and T-30. Also, the poor family got random seats all throughout the cabin, but at least they were in First Class.
I hope that "poor family" didn't then proceed to try to snatch or swap seats so to get all their favorite seats under the guise of sitting together on the flight.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:56 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thanks for a spirited discussion. Time to lock this one up.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.