Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any ideas on this disappearing first class seat

Any ideas on this disappearing first class seat

Old Sep 11, 19, 6:53 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOS
Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Posts: 2,840
It could've been a very last minute check in by someone who was confirmed in F all along but didn't have a seat assignment.
ijgordon and btonkid12345 like this.
LoganFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 6:55 am
  #17  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Posts: 4,269
Originally Posted by cre95 View Post
I see that the prior flight scheduled to have departed at 8pm was delayed past midnight so not surprising to have many of these folks move to your flight. As long as they did by 10pm seats would have been available to SDC. So, it seems that FC passengers likely took the last few seats in your flight if that’s of any comfort.
That is probably what happened and makes sense. No comfort needed. Since I was with a companion I wouldn't have taken the upgrade anyway for a single seat. Was just morbidly curious while bored as ATL airport didn't keep anything open in T despite the entire terminal still full of flights and DL closed the SC to boot - were directing people to A.
Figured y'all would have some great ideas and didn't disappoint as alwyas. Thanks everyone for participating
apodo77 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:31 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 9,575
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
FCM offers go away after you check in. If I had to guess, it was probably a last minute SDC or an IROPS pax. The OP's second screenshot shows 5 more people on the list than before so there was probably some sort of IROPS that sent a few people over to their flight.
Almost certainly this.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
findark is online now  
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:11 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 696
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
It could've been a very last minute check in by someone who was confirmed in F all along but didn't have a seat assignment.
Is this true? It never even occurred to me that the "seats available" number in the upgrade list would just be a straight count of unassigned seats rather than actual inventory.

Regardless, I think the IROPS theory seems to be the most likely.
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:11 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 696
Originally Posted by defrosted View Post
Couldn't you SDC onto this flight if you were on the first flight the next morning? Same day is 24 hours isn't it, not literally the same day?
By policy, no. In practice.... sometimes.
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:12 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 9,575
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
Is this true? It never even occurred to me that the "seats available" number in the upgrade list would just be a straight count of unassigned seats rather than actual inventory.
Pretty sure it is - definitely true for C+ and also "Available" on the standby list (seat count includes all cabins) that it's just counting unassigned and blocked seats.
findark is online now  
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:41 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: St. Cloud, FL
Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 1,767
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
Is this true? It never even occurred to me that the "seats available" number in the upgrade list would just be a straight count of unassigned seats rather than actual inventory.

Regardless, I think the IROPS theory seems to be the most likely.
The “seats available” in the app is only showing unassigned seats. However if this was indeed someone who was paid F, but didn’t select the last F seat, then they would have cleared under the “standby” list.
MCO Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 3:38 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: LHR / BHX / MAN / ATL
Programs: DL DM MM - IHG Spire
Posts: 3,824
I had a similar situation once where I was #1 with 1 available 10 minutes before boarding started. When I didn't get the u/g, I asked the GA who politely explained that #2 on the list pulled out a credit card and bought up to an F fare. Highly unusual, but it does happen. No shenanigans - just unlucky. YMMV.
ecaarch is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 3:47 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: HSV
Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Posts: 1,324
More than a few times, when I’m at a gate and it looks like I won’t be getting the UG when there’s a single seat available I’ll call and pay to UG to F (no FCM offer, just a straight call to the DM desk). I won’t show up as UG’d but the seat suddenly becomes unavailable and I’m (obviously) not on the UG list any longer.

Admittedly, it gives me a wry sense of pleasure as I scope the gate for disgruntled pax who were confident of their UG.

Im willing to wager that I am not the only one.
TheHorta is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:02 pm
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,082
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
The “seats available” in the app is only showing unassigned seats. However if this was indeed someone who was paid F, but didn’t select the last F seat, then they would have cleared under the “standby” list.
I assume that's only for passengers who checked in and were unable to get seat assignments at that time (mostly BE pax), in addition to true standbys. They get a priority verification pass I believe, and then clear the standby list.

If a passenger made a F reservation with no seat assignment (wouldn't be unusual for a travel agent booking), then s/he would have been assigned a seat at the time of check-in. I don't know why that would show on the standby list (s/he certainly wouldn't have been on the standby list BEFORE s/he checked in).

Regardless, OP doesn't show the standby list from the app.
Of course checking ExpertFlyer would show whether that seat was really available (for a booking) or already booked, at least until T-30m I think.

I really don't see any evidence that this was anything beyond an already booked FC pax getting a last minute seat assignment, but as mentioned, we don't have all the evidence that would have been available.
ijgordon is online now  
Old Sep 11, 19, 6:37 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOS
Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Posts: 2,840
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
Is this true? It never even occurred to me that the "seats available" number in the upgrade list would just be a straight count of unassigned seats rather than actual inventory.

Regardless, I think the IROPS theory seems to be the most likely.
Yup. "Seats available" is a count of unassigned seats, not seats for sale. This is confirmable by checking upcoming flights against ExpertFlyer--eventually you'll find one where "seats available" in F is greater than the count for sale.

That said, I do agree IROPS is much more likely here.
LoganFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:39 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,284
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
Yup. "Seats available" is a count of unassigned seats, not seats for sale. This is confirmable by checking upcoming flights against ExpertFlyer--eventually you'll find one where "seats available" in F is greater than the count for sale.

That said, I do agree IROPS is much more likely here.
I always check how many seats DL is selling on the flight in F. Sometimes it might show F as sold out but with multiple seats still unassigned and thus showing on the count on the UG list.

Perfect example: I was flying LAX-ATL in paid First but called to SDC. The flight I wanted to move to only showed 1 seat for sale in F, and after my SDC was processed, it showed sold out.

But, the app upgrade standby list showed 6 seats unassigned in First and plenty of people on the UG list.

Imagine the disappointment of 1-6 on the list when the gate agent assigned all 6 of those seats to a family of 6 in paid J, who were connecting from Australia on Virgin to LAX-ATL on First, but never had seats selected.

The GA did this between T-45 and T-30. Also, the poor family got random seats all throughout the cabin, but at least they were in First Class.
btonkid12345 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:42 am
  #28  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 82,610
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
I always check how many seats DL is selling on the flight in F. Sometimes it might show F as sold out but with multiple seats still unassigned and thus showing on the count on the UG list.

Perfect example: I was flying LAX-ATL in paid First but called to SDC. The flight I wanted to move to only showed 1 seat for sale in F, and after my SDC was processed, it showed sold out.

But, the app upgrade standby list showed 6 seats unassigned in First and plenty of people on the UG list.

Imagine the disappointment of 1-6 on the list when the gate agent assigned all 6 of those seats to a family of 6 in paid J, who were connecting from Australia on Virgin to LAX-ATL on First, but never had seats selected.

The GA did this between T-45 and T-30. Also, the poor family got random seats all throughout the cabin, but at least they were in First Class.
I hope that "poor family" didn't then proceed to try to snatch or swap seats so to get all their favorite seats under the guise of sitting together on the flight.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:56 am
  #29  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,315
Thanks for a spirited discussion. Time to lock this one up.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
obscure2k is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread